Trying to get a new iem at budget
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aimlesskil

New Head-Fier
Hello, it's been sometime that i have been looking for a new due to my old kz zst x getting lost. I liked how they sounded and didn't really find any issue with them, but looking into the market now i am confused between cca cra, tangzu wan'er and salnotes zero. I am sort of hardstuck at 20$ due to financial constraints.

I would be really glad if you coulf help me out here. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Wazzup!

I personally wouldn't recommend the CRA unless you plan on EQing them. Though, there are a lot of people who like them. I haven't heard the Zero or Wan'er but they have pretty good followings. I think the Zero would be a good and popular option; however, the Truthear Hola just released and might be an option because the IEMs they released are rated highly (Hexa and Zero). Also, do note that the Salnotes Zero was tuned by Crinacle.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 13
Yes, i did find out that zero were tuned by crinacle, one of the reasons why i was leaning towards it, though the common consensus of a lack of bass mixed with the goofy looks gives me 2nd thoughts. I am no basshead, but i still do enjoy some punchy bass from time to time.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Just looked at the graph of the Zero and I didn't expect it to be as flat as it looks. Also, the Wan'er and Hola graph pretty similarly, so it is down to accessories, driver material, looks, and which brand you'd rather support.

I guess the question is if you wanna try something new or similar.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Just looked at the graph of the Zero and I didn't expect it to be as flat as it looks. Also, the Wan'er and Hola graph pretty similarly, so it is down to accessories, driver material, looks, and which brand you'd rather support.

I guess the question is if you wanna try something new or similar.
Honestly i am a bit perplexed as to what could be new and not so much, I'm down for experimenting a bit, the whole reasons i had taken a leap of faith with the kz's i had earlier, the hola's are not available at my location to purchase i believe at the moment. I'm just trying to find something with an alright amount of seperation and soundstage and something that doesn't let the little details be lost.

I'm very new to the whole audio thingy honestly. So please excuse any misuse of technical terminologies.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 13
Honestly i am a bit perplexed as to what could be new and not so much, I'm down for experimenting a bit, the whole reasons i had taken a leap of faith with the kz's i had earlier, the hola's are not available at my location to purchase i believe at the moment. I'm just trying to find something with an alright amount of seperation and soundstage and something that doesn't let the little details be lost.

I'm very new to the whole audio thingy honestly. So please excuse any misuse of technical terminologies.
No prob! Honestly, I don't really know how to read graphs as well as other people on here. I could totally understand why someone would go with a sound signature that they are more familiar with, so don't fret much about your purchase decision. If you don't want to miss out on detail then you gotta lose out on some bass.

I found out that I agree with Crinacle's rankings on headphones and IEMs, so I trust his tuning. I know that he listens to some K-Pop and J-Pop and my library is somewhat similar. I would look at reviews on this website since there are a lot of good ones: they usually talk about soundstage, imaging and separation. Happy hunting!

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 13
No prob! Honestly, I don't really know how to read graphs as well as other people on here. I could totally understand why someone would go with a sound signature that they are more familiar with, so don't fret much about your purchase decision. If you don't want to miss out on detail then you gotta lose out on some bass.

I found out that I agree with Crinacle's rankings on headphones and IEMs, so I trust his tuning. I know that he listens to some K-Pop and J-Pop and my library is somewhat similar. I would look at reviews on this website since there are a lot of good ones: they usually talk about soundstage, imaging and separation. Happy hunting!
Thank you so much for your insights, absolutely a huge amount of help❤️

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Hello, it's been sometime that i have been looking for a new due to my old kz zst x getting lost. I liked how they sounded and didn't really find any issue with them, but looking into the market now i am confused between cca cra, tangzu wan'er and salnotes zero. I am sort of hardstuck at 20$ due to financial constraints.

What music genres do you listen to?

The Salnotes Zero is neutral bright, so it probably fairs better as a "reference" type monitor. It is quite sterile and analytical, minimal colouration. Technically decent.

The Wan'er is warm neutral and bassier and has thicker note weight, more natural in timbre, but less technical.

I guess they are complementary, but if your music is more bass focused (eg EDM, hip hop), then go for the Wan'er. If you like classical, jazz etc, maybe Salnotes Zero is a better pick.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 13
What music genres do you listen to?

The Salnotes Zero is neutral bright, so it probably fairs better as a "reference" type monitor. It is quite sterile and analytical, minimal colouration. Technically decent.

The Wan'er is warm neutral and bassier and has thicker note weight, more natural in timbre, but less technical.

I guess they are complementary, but if your music is more bass focused (eg EDM, hip hop), then go for the Wan'er. If you like classical, jazz etc, maybe Salnotes Zero is a better pick.
I usually listen to some light rock, and piano ballads, mixed with a good amount of slow pop. Classical music also happens on some days. Bass isn't something i want a lot of but it's not something i don't want anything to do with you know. I would like a bit of punch but a punch good enough that the song doesn't lose its value.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 13
I usually listen to some light rock, and piano ballads, mixed with a good amount of slow pop. Classical music also happens on some days. Bass isn't something i want a lot of but it's not something i don't want anything to do with you know. I would like a bit of punch but a punch good enough that the song doesn't lose its value.

Ah then perhaps the Tangzu Wan'er is a better option than the Salnotes Zero for you. The Kiwi Ears Cadenza is also not too bad for your music genres.

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 13

I own the Zero, CRA and CRA+, Chus etc etc... Bassically all budget ones more or less xD

My suggestion is the Salnotes zero. Why? Because they just sound much more expensive than they are. Bass is just right, and midrange is pleasing. They straight out beat the CRA on everything, CRA+ is a good choice as well but zero is better IMHO, especially because of your taste in music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back