Trying to get 1080i out of my tv, few questions.
Sep 3, 2007 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok head-fi, here is an eye-fi (trademark) question.

My family has an HDMI dvd player that will upscale to 1080i, we currently have it running to our TV which is capable of 1080i. I connected the dvd player to the tv via component cables (comp 1 and comp 2 are 480p and DTV1 is 1080i via comp cables) and when I did this it only came out as 480i and a message came up saying that it was not connected properly.

I was looking into the dvd player, and it said that the only way to get 1080i from the dvd player was to hook it up via the hdmi output. the problem is. . .my TV does not have an HDMI input.

so. . .

1. Is it worth trying to hook me dvd player up and getting a 1080i picture if it is upscaled?

2. What kind of connector/cable would I need in order to get an HDMI cable to input to my TV

this is my tv

Mitsubishi WS-65807

thanks for the help head-fi gals/guys

-mattk

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The upscaling in dvd players is usually only done in the digital domain unfortunately.

what does this mean?

i'm new to all of this visual stuff
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 24
HDMI is a all digital (1 and 0) standard that transmits audio and video signals over the same cable. It's been introduced to allow for ease of use and digital rights management. The DRM is the thing that may screw up your plans.

There is an older digital standard called DVI does your set have one of those?

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 24
not sure if I actually answered your question.

The video on the DVD is encoded digitally as a multiplex mpeg file, that means the video and the audio are mushed into one file basically. When an upsamping dvd player does its magic it takes all the frames and blows it up adjusting for things where it can through interpolation. Basically making an educated guess as to what the missing information need to make a bigger picture. All of this takes place digitally meaning it all just numbers and information at this point.

The picture needs to get blown up about four times the size to get from sd 720x486 to HD 1920x1080 so quite a few pixels have to be invented. The DVD player then send the new blown up digital picture to the HDTV monitor and it sees a HD signal and plays it as such.

I believe that there are legal reasons why a dvd player cannot up-convert and deliver it through an analog cable but have just shaken my head and not paid attention.

Analog video is usually of three kinds composite, s video and component.

Composite is where the signal is all on one wire.
S video has 2 signals luminance and chrominance .
Component has 3 signals luminance (y), the difference between Blue and luminance (Pb) and the difference between Red and luminance (Pr)

The signals are carried basically as modulating waves of electricity in analog. In digital the bits of information are pulses of information like super fast morse code. These are not exact descriptions but just to give you an idea.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 24
1. You are not going to see as much of a benefit with your set while upconverting as others would and may in fact be better off not using a upconverting dvd player. If you want better picture quality look for a better non upconverting dvd player, something that outputs a good 480p picture such as a Pioneer Elite DV-47ai or Denon 2900. If you really want to upconvert try and find a dvd player that does it over component, they are few and far between, but a Zenith DB-318 comes to mind.

2. If your TV has DVI you could get a adapter to convert from HDMI to DVI, but there is no guarantee that will work. This is assuming you have DVI, which I don't believe your TV does, in which case there is no simple solution other then buying more equipment.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 24
You can send a 1080i picture from your DVD player to your 1080i capable TV with component cables, you do not need HDMI. Send your audio through a separate set of IC's.
With a HD cable provider box, component video is also the minimum requirement.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can send a 1080i picture from your DVD player to your 1080i capable TV with component cables, you do not need HDMI. Send your audio through a separate set of IC's.

i tried this, and the dvd player gives me a message saying that the power or the cables is not connected correctly.

i'm following the color coding, so I don't know what the problem could be
confused.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 24
You may need to configure your DVD player to output via component in one of its menus.

Quote:

I was looking into the dvd player, and it said that the only way to get 1080i from the dvd player was to hook it up via the hdmi output.

Although, if your DVD player says it can't do it, then maybe it can't do it!

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As I said above this feature is very rare in DVD players, very few have been able to do this. I know the Zenith DB-318 can with certain firmware and there is a Samsung unit that can do it as well.

Most can only upconvert over DVD/HDMI. Component out for most players is reserved for 480i/p output only.

Not to mention a CRT Rear Projection won't see as much benefit as a fixed pixel display would, and may even decrease picture quality with a upconverted signal. Just because it is upconverting doesn't mean it will give you a better picture there are many other variables that come into play.

Jared

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MontyPythizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
480P is the greatest improvement in about all of the formats, as it goes from 256 colors of 480i and doubles it to 512 of 480p :p

I dont think that's accurate. Do you have a source for that?

1080i shows a huge difference over 480p as well.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back