Trying to find a USB to optical/coax converter transport
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #16 of 22
I'm wondering what difference you get from using a 'higher quality' transport? If both devices are operating at the same frequency and bit resolution wouldn't it sound the same? Can anyone tell me what to listen for re: jitter? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the UD-10 better sounding than the Transit? I'm thinking of dumping my Transit to go to that...

It really is cheap-looking, though, you know. How much was it originally?

I haven't heard the Transit but if it's bit perfect and you use it with a jitter resistant dac I'd say they would sound the same.

I paid $130 for mine including the optional battery pack. Also, I don't think it's cheap looking in person, I find it well built for an item of that price and I believe it's a very good solution for USB to spdif conversion.

Regards,
Diego

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 22
-It doesn't require custom drivers, it uses the native usb driver and that is why it's completely plug and play under windows, linux and I suppose osx (I've tested it under xp and linux).

-I don't find the battery pack improves the sound if you use it as a transport, perhaps if you use it's internal dac you could hear improvements.

-I paid $130 new plus shipping.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #20 of 22
UD-10 sounds very good... when it works. One thing I want to point out is its build quality. My first one died after 2 weeks use (probably 1 week, I couldn't remember exactly but I am not using it day and night and the total hours are fewer than 24 for sure). Unluckily enough I bot it from HK so after almost 2 months I got my replacement (have to pay the oversea shipping fee myself though). This time I am burning it in together with my just arrived OMZ. Then 1 week later, the indicator died. I was thinking it died again at the beginning but found it still working. Don't know how long this one will last but that is the story until today.

BTW, the customer service of Trends Audio is ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-It doesn't require custom drivers, it uses the native usb driver and that is why it's completely plug and play under windows, linux and I suppose osx (I've tested it under xp and linux).

-I don't find the battery pack improves the sound if you use it as a transport, perhaps if you use it's internal dac you could hear improvements.

-I paid $130 new plus shipping.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I paid $130 for mine including the optional battery pack. Also, I don't think it's cheap looking in person, I find it well built for an item of that price and I believe it's a very good solution for USB to spdif conversion.

I believe audio advantage micro (AAM) also does the same but at $29.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/indetail.aspx

gychang

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back