Trying to find a USB to optical/coax converter transport
Jun 24, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMU 0404 USB?

right, forgot to say that I want to stay around but preferably under 100. The only thing I can find is the m-audio transit but thats optical
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 22
Jun 24, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 22
There are a number of units available for less than $100, some for less than $50, but you will generally be limited to 16-bit and 44-48 kHz conversion. This is not really a big problem if you use Foobar and a good sample rate converter, or if you don't need 96kHz or 24-bit conversion.

For better performance, you will need a device with custom drivers, like the Transit or the E-MU USB devices. These are good but an internal PCI device can provide quality SPDIF for less (M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or Audiophile 2496, E-MU 0404 or 1212).

If you have an M-Audio Audiophile USB and a Total Bithead (your profile), you are not going to be satisfied with a <$50 device, maybe this is a gift for someone else.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a number of units available for less than $100, some for less than $50, but you will generally be limited to 16-bit and 44-48 kHz conversion. This is not really a big problem if you use Foobar and a good sample rate converter, or if you don't need 96kHz or 24-bit conversion.

For better performance, you will need a device with custom drivers, like the Transit or the E-MU USB devices. These are good but an internal PCI device can provide quality SPDIF for less (M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or Audiophile 2496, E-MU 0404 or 1212).

If you have an M-Audio Audiophile USB and a Total Bithead (your profile), you are not going to be satisfied with a <$50 device, maybe this is a gift for someone else.

Hey I wasn't the one asking for one, hehe... I was just providing a suggestion to jinp6301
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I wasn't the one asking for one, hehe... I was just providing a suggestion to jinp6301
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, me too.
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 22
There's a coax mod for the Transit somewhere if you search. By the way, what's the matter with optical? I think electrical isolation between the DAC and the computer is a good thing, and you'd have less impedance matching issues to worry about but that's a whole 'nother discussion I suppose.

There's also the Hag USB from Hong Kong that might be worth considering. Not sure if it's bit-perfect, though.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a coax mod for the Transit somewhere if you search. By the way, what's the matter with optical? I think electrical isolation between the DAC and the computer is a good thing, and you'd have less impedance matching issues to worry about but that's a whole 'nother discussion I suppose.

There's also the Hag USB from Hong Kong that might be worth considering. Not sure if it's bit-perfect, though.

I modded the Transit years ago to put S/PDIF on it, but I replaced it with the Off-Ramp Turbo 2. Optical does have the advantage of galvanic isolation, but so do many S/PDIF implementations. Optical has the BIG disadvantage of adding jitter. I would recommend sticking with S/PDIF or AES/EBU.

Steve N.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 22
I wouldn't use the usb transit as a transport if I were you.
I dug mine out a few days ago to compare to my Juli@ using RMAA.

Whilst the Juli@ has perfect digital output, I can't say the same for the transit. The frequency response wasn't flat, and there was some weird channel leakage going on, most likely my usb bus is noisy??

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 22
I've been pretty happy with the Trends Audio UD-10 as a USB to digital transport. Has AES (balanced), Coax, BNC, and Toslink outputs, and works great. There is an optional battery pack available, which is useless and unnecessary. There is also a 1/8" analog minijack analog output which, frankly, stinks, but the digital outs are excellent. If you are hungup about bit perfect output, it works fine with ASIO4All.

Here's one in the FS Forum.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been pretty happy with the Trends Audio UD-10 as a USB to digital transport. Has AES (balanced), Coax, BNC, and Toslink outputs, and works great. There is an optional battery pack available, which is useless and unnecessary. There is also a 1/8" analog minijack analog output which, frankly, stinks, but the digital outs are excellent. If you are hungup about bit perfect output, it works fine with ASIO4All.

Here's one in the FS Forum.

yes thats what I was looking for, I just dont have the funds for it right now, I have to wait for a sale to go through so I have some moolah

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

nothings the matter with optical, its just that I'll be using the optical in for my iriver, so I dont want to have to switch the cables all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back