Trying to figure out best headSET solution for Xbox 360?
Jun 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 116
The AD700 are believed by many people here to be the best headphones available for gaming, and much better than any gaming headsets.  I have only used the AD700 for a short time, and that was listening to music so I won't give an opinion of my own, but instead I'll try to point you in the right direction for your research.

A good place to start is by searching for Steggy's gaming headphone/headset reviews.  He also talks a bit about the Astro Mixamp.  You can find one of these reviews here.

You can find coredump's review of 6 headphones for competitive gaming by clicking here.

Audioholic's quest for the Holy Grail of gaming headphones can be found here, although it isn't going to do your wallet any favours!

Finally, Kool Bubba Ice's Base can be found here.  Kool Bubba Ice is a well known and respected head-fier as well so you can search for some of his comments here on head-fi as well as his site. 

Those are just some of the many resources you can use to help you get started doing research into what headphones would work best for you.  Good luck, and happy gaming! 

PS.  Boom mic mods for the AD700 (which can likely be applied to other headphones as easily) may help to give you some ideas.  FraGTaLiTy's simple and inexpensive mod is along the lines of what people in this thread are suggesting for your Shures, while OperatorPerry's elegant mod requiring only a little more effort may be more to your liking and within your modding abilities. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 116
I loved my AD700s for gaming. I don't however play competitively anymore. I'm now in College and game when I have free time (not too often). Because of this fact, I decided that I would like to purchase a more immersive pair of headphones. The ad700s are nice and all, for positioning... But when it comes to feeling like you're in the game, they provide a 3rd person experience. I grabbed the DT770/80 and never looked back.

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 116
I'm gonna paste this from another thread, as it still holds true:

Get the K701s, NOW. Just trust me. I'm a heavy mixamp user who has tested a plethora of headsets and headphones. The K70Xs are by far the most god-mode inducing headphones I have ever used for games like MW2. And yes, their directional cues are hella amazing. Put them right next to the AD700s, and you'll see that they do practically everything just as good, and most things better. They are ULTRA clear, have an expansive soundstage, and are  just an all out competition powerhouse. Are they worth the premium over the AD700s? I say so. Think of them as a more perfected AD700, gaming-wise.

As for an even better headphone when it comes to directional cues, the DT770 Pro 80s. Without a doubt the very best in this regard from all I have used and heard with gaming. They are the BEST when it comes to letting you believe you are actually playing in surround sound. Still, they're bassy, and have more of a home theater sound, which may or may not be to your liking, especially for competitive gaming.

If I had to rate them on certain things:

Clarity:

K701: 10/10
DT 770 Pro 80s: 8/10 (they are still quite clear through the bass, though the bass may bother some)

Direction cues/positioning/surround sound effect:

DT770 pro 80s: 11/10 (YES, they are that amazing)
K701: 9/10

Soundstage:

K701: 10/10
DT770 pro 80s: 8/10 (for a closed can, they have a LOOOOT of depth to them)

Both of these WILL fool you into believe there is sounds actually coming behind you, so they are both quite perfect for FPS games, though if I had to choose one for hardcore online gaming, I'd say the K701. For pleasure, the 770 Pro 80s.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #21 of 116
Go with the Beyers! They offer all of the features of the AD700 and AKGs but have that improved and incredibly refined immersive factor to them.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 116
I play online with them as well and did not lose the slightest bit of performance. Still getting 40 bombs in MW2 with under 5 deaths (not nuke camping). Still hearing Ts running down long A from mid (not any less clear than my AD700). Yeah, the bass is prominent but that's only distracting in a game like BC2 where there's ALWAYS explosions. MW2's explosions are thumpy at all, in fact they don't phase me in the slightest. I feel bad, my parents purchased the AD700 for me as a going away to college gift lol. (They got em for $80 from a local musician). I don't even use the things anymore. I fell in my love with my Beyers and in my honest opinion I gained in every category and lost in none. <3 Mad Lust Envy.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 116
I'm very glad to hear that you like them so much. I don't really feel like my opinion on these things is worth much, but I have spent many months now trying to find the right gaming headphones for me. The DT770 pros aren't for everyone, but to those that stick with them and get used to their distinct sound, I believe they'll be surprised at how good they are for gaming.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #25 of 116
I just booked a trip to Orlando this summer and realized the only semi-portable cans I have now are these... I can't drive these out of my iPod. I don't want to have to buy IEMs either, I don't know if they're right for me. I know the cord is long and all, but I can rubber band it together. I was just wondering, any suggestions for a small portable amp that could power these babies on the plane ride? These things isolate sound so well.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 116
Easy. The Fiio E5 can power the 770 Pro 80s. It may not be anywhere near a GREAT amp, but to me for $20, they are more than worth it. They also have bass boost, which makes the 770's bass even stronger. O_O

If I didn't have ANY amp, I'd most definitely would be getting the Fiio E7. It's a portable DAC/AMP, and I hear is in a completely other league than the E5. It's also less than $100. Whereas the E5 is a taste of amping, the E7 is a TRUE portable amp.

Guess what? I live in Orlando, lol.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 116
:O, I'll come visit you lol. Ok I'll look at the E7. I hear alot of talk regarding what amps and DACs do to sound signatures of headphones. I'm assuming this would be a good pair? Looking up the Fiio right now.

Also - Since I do have a bit of spare cash and I'm sort of looking for some non gaming purely music listening cans (that's why I'm fighting about the Graods) Any other suggestions since you probably know my musical preferences based on our talking back and forth previously. I was thinking maybe Hfi 780s? Could the Fiio E7 power them?

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #28 of 116
BTW, I dunno if this is what you're thinking, but the DT770 pros aren't something I'd EVER wear in public, heheh. They're LOL-HUGE.

I still really wanna try out some ES7s but I'm not willing to spend over $120 on a new pair of legit ones. I don't wanna get them used either, as that's just ASKING for someone to buy a legit pair, and then put fake ones in the real one's packaging and sucker someone out of their money.

For right now, the RE0s are my weapon of choice for portability, but I'm tired of IEMs in general. They're too fragile, tangle up easy, and can get lost...

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #29 of 116
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EXACTLY why I don't want IEMs. I feel they lack the magic of full sized headphones. Like you said, they get tangled. I don't know what to do, but honestly I think the DT770 pros are rather small, in fact much smaller than I thought they would be.Looking at myself with them on ( I have a small head) I wouldn't be embarrassed in the slightest to wear these in public. Have you seen some of the Sonys? Also the Denons are HUGE, so they're out of the question. My DJ1 Pros aren't that big, I can see them being portable. Could that E7 drive a pair of Hfi780s?

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #30 of 116
Apparently the E7 can drive the HD650 pretty well, and you probably now how anal people are on here about driving such a well loved headphone. Hell, I'm more than happy with driving the K701 with the E5. People would bite my head off if they saw me in person doing this, lol. I'm certain the E7 can drive well LOTS of great headphones, probably in the 32-300ohm range. Not too sure about 600ohm though...

I AM gonna get the E7 eventually. It'll be my first major amp/dac, even if to most people here isn't major based on price alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back