Trying to deciding on an IEM
Feb 15, 2010 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peeves

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I narrowed it down to either Sennheiser IE8 and Westone UM3X. But before some of you might start groaning over another UM3X and IE8 thread. I've already read and browsed through most comparison threads. They didn't quite answer all my questions. I usually listen to pop, hip hop, indie, alternate rock and acoustic rock. I was leaning towards to the Sennheiser IE8 because I hear that they have a little more bass and I like to have that extra "oomph" in my songs. But how would you describe their bass. I prefer quality bass over quantity bass, so I wouldn't want the bass to be muddy. The reason why I'm considering Westone UM3X is because from the other threads I read that it's more balanced and I do enjoy listening to acoustic music so I would like to hear the clarity of the singer's voice. I had the Nuforce NE-7m before and I loved it so I'm looking for something that would be somewhat similar to those. I would usually be using them with my iPod Touch and laptop. Plus comfort is very important to me as well.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 10
It depends. The IE8 has a detailed and very deep bass that can be adjusted but is not overpowering. Get the IE8 if you want to feel the extra bass or get the umx3 if you want exceptional clarity.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 10
IE8 are overall clean sounding IEMs with big soundstage and rich bass(recommended).

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 10
The main differences between the IE8 and UM3X is less so frequency response or bass extension.

There are two blaring differences between the IE8 and UM3X. The first is the sound stage. The second is dynamics and detail.

The IE8 has a very large sound stage. The presentation is more like theater seating where you're up in the stands watching the concert.

The UM3X is very forward. It puts you up on stage with your face right in front of the singer. The locational cues and distancing is razor sharp

The second aspect is how each presents the music. The IE8 has good speed and detail, but it favors a slightly tamer presentation. Dynamic range is slightly more subtle and sharpness in details are slightly rounded off. You get a pleasant and non-fatiguing sound but one that also retains quickness and clarity.

The UM3X is one of the most dynamic and energetic earphones out there. It's very much capable of portraying subtlety and explosive presentation. The level of detail will also show you information in the music you've never heard before.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 10
I've owned both the IE8 and the UM3X, and I would get neither, and pay $199 for the AT CK10s. I just sold the UM3X (found them dull, for the most part), and if you want clarity and detail, with enough bass (though they do respond well to EQ), the CK10s are a better price to performance IEM. Just my view. I also eventually grew bored with the IE8s, favoring the W3s over them.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I owned the UM3X's breifly. I found them very "polite." Clear, accurate, great for LONG listening sessions because they are comfortable and non-fatiguing. I thought the bass was pretty thin. I sold them and purchased the Westone 3's, as I really like the comfort of the westones. For me, the 3's have a bunch more bass, are still quite clear and detailed, and much more fun. Other IEM's I've owned: UE super.fi 5 pro's, liked them, uncomfortable, UE TF10's, loved the sound, REALLY uncomfortable, Shure SE530's, love 'em, hate the cable. Sorry I can't compare to the IE8, but I thought my experience might help as far as the UM3X's go. If I were still in school studying all day, the UM3X's would be my choice. Now I get an hour here, an hour there, and I prefer a bit more color and fun to my headphones and IEM's.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by peeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings,

I narrowed it down to either Sennheiser IE8 and Westone UM3X. But before some of you might start groaning over another UM3X and IE8 thread. I've already read and browsed through most comparison threads. They didn't quite answer all my questions. I usually listen to pop, hip hop, indie, alternate rock and acoustic rock. I was leaning towards to the Sennheiser IE8 because I hear that they have a little more bass and I like to have that extra "oomph" in my songs. But how would you describe their bass. I prefer quality bass over quantity bass, so I wouldn't want the bass to be muddy. The reason why I'm considering Westone UM3X is because from the other threads I read that it's more balanced and I do enjoy listening to acoustic music so I would like to hear the clarity of the singer's voice. I had the Nuforce NE-7m before and I loved it so I'm looking for something that would be somewhat similar to those. I would usually be using them with my iPod Touch and laptop. Plus comfort is very important to me as well.

Thanks!

Well, in that case, UM3X.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by peeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings,

Thanks!

If you like most of your music in the genres you listed, with a little 'oomph', then I'd say the IE8's would be perfect. The bass has real depth and impact, and you can actually sometimes feel it in your ears. It's not a vague tap-tap-tap at the door so to speak like with some other IEM's. The IE8's do have a little mid bass emphasis though, but most of it goes away with some time spent burning them in.

Welcome to HF btw.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main differences between the IE8 and UM3X is less so frequency response or bass extension.

There are two blaring differences between the IE8 and UM3X. The first is the sound stage. The second is dynamics and detail.

The IE8 has a very large sound stage. The presentation is more like theater seating where you're up in the stands watching the concert.

The UM3X is very forward. It puts you up on stage with your face right in front of the singer. The locational cues and distancing is razor sharp

The second aspect is how each presents the music. The IE8 has good speed and detail, but it favors a slightly tamer presentation. Dynamic range is slightly more subtle and sharpness in details are slightly rounded off. You get a pleasant and non-fatiguing sound but one that also retains quickness and clarity.

The UM3X is one of the most dynamic and energetic earphones out there. It's very much capable of portraying subtlety and explosive presentation. The level of detail will also show you information in the music you've never heard before.

I'd agree with everything that mvw2 says.

Both are great earphones so it really comes down to personal preference, but I would personally keep the UM3x if I had to choose one over the other.

I find the UM3x more comfortable, and noise isolation is much better. The detail and separation is excellent, and I personally don't mind the narrower head-stage as I like to feel right in amongst the action.

The IE8 has more bass, but it does slightly dominate the sound signature. It's a more laid back listen but there's still plenty of detail. I use my IE8s when I want to listen to music but don't want to concentrate on the music too much, for instance while I'm reading.

The UM3x has less bass but it's very tight and accurate and there's a decent amount of punch when it needs it. Overall it's got more detail and clarity, which I prefer, and I use them when I really want to concentrate just on listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back