Trying to decide on my first pair of headphones
May 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to Head-Fi,sorry for your wallet...

Do you have an amp and/or DAC? I would suggest at least an amp,preferably both an amp and DAC to go with your headphones,which will take a decent chunk of your budget.

May 16, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Can't really help you without a solid budget in mind. But out of the 3 listed, the DT1990 Pro would be the best option. It has better bass extension than the 660S and nicer mid range/treble than the amiron home. The amiron is definitely the poorest performing headphone of the bunch. DT1990 Pro has better staging and imaging compared to the 660S, however the 660S might have a more agreeable tone. The DT1990 does have more treble sparkle than it though.

May 16, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 21
The main aim is for playing games,

Are you playing FPS games more where detail in hearing enemy location is key,or are you more into single player games where immersion is key?

I enjoy all types of music focusing on Hip/hop and alternative rock the most

Hip/Hop especially sounds best with good bass response,which then in turn drowns out enemy location to an extent,so we need more info on your primary needs.
I can suggest looking into the Fidelio X2s as well. They dont require an amp(but as always,an amp helps) have good bass impact for hip/hop and gunfire/explosions in games and a wide sound stage for pinpointing enemies. It isnt the last word in detail retrieval but its kind of a happy medium for your needs.

If youre a hardcore competitive FPSer then you will want to focus on headphones with neutral to light bass response,which in turn isnt great for hip/hop....

May 16, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 21
I say get an AKG K7XX or HD6xx (rebadged HD650) here:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

then get a B-Stock Schiit Lyr 2 (115V US, of course) for $299 with full warranty (but no refunds; exchanges should still be fine) here:

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

This combo should be upgraditis-resistant for at least three years. By then, you definitely should be able to find the DAC you were wanting to find.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 21
Sorry, I edited my above post going from HD600 to HD6xx to stretch out your savings and added a AKG K7XX link for the most soundstage for the money.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Are you playing FPS games more where detail in hearing enemy location is key,or are you more into single player games where immersion is key?

Hip/Hop especially sounds best with good bass response,which then in turn drowns out enemy location to an extent,so we need more info on your primary needs.
I can suggest looking into the Fidelio X2s as well. They dont require an amp(but as always,an amp helps) have good bass impact for hip/hop and gunfire/explosions in games and a wide sound stage for pinpointing enemies. It isnt the last word in detail retrieval but its kind of a happy medium for your needs.

If youre a hardcore competitive FPSer then you will want to focus on headphones with neutral to light bass response,which in turn isnt great for hip/hop....

I'm a pretty all around gamer I play single player and competitive type games but I'm not competing at any high level any time soon so hearing footsteps SUPER precisely isn't the most important thing. I'd say 1. Comfort 2. Sound quality 3. Soundstage (I think that's what would let me hear footsteps?) As I said I'm extremely new to all this so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and something that will last a good while. Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it immensely.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 21
I say get an AKG K7XX or HD6xx (rebadged HD650) here:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

then get a B-Stock Schiit Lyr 2 (115V US, of course) for $299 with full warranty (but no refunds; exchanges should still be fine) here:

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

This combo should be upgraditis-resistant for at least three years. By then, you definitely should be able to find the DAC you were wanting to find.

I have for sure seen alot about the 6XX and alot about schitt amps/DAC's so that's a pretty solid combo. I think in my search I've underestimated the cost of the DAC/amp and put more $ towards the actual headphones. Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated!

May 17, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 21
I'm a pretty all around gamer I play single player and competitive type games but I'm not competing at any high level any time soon so hearing footsteps SUPER precisely isn't the most important thing. I'd say 1. Comfort 2. Sound quality 3. Soundstage (I think that's what would let me hear footsteps?) As I said I'm extremely new to all this so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and something that will last a good while. Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it immensely.

I think the X2 plus a Schiit stack will work well and bring you in fairly close to your original budget. Alternatively the DT990 is fun too,but I own both and prefer the Fidelio far and away for gaming.

I have for sure seen alot about the 6XX and alot about schitt amps/DAC's so that's a pretty solid combo. I think in my search I've underestimated the cost of the DAC/amp and put more $ towards the actual headphones. Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated!

I own the HD6xx as well and really like it(best bang for buck headphone around IMO) but the staging is quite narrow,and lacks a bit of energy up top which again,IMO,isnt the best fit for your specific needs.

May 17, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 21
No mic necessary! Have a blue yeti from my days where I thought I was gonna be the next PewDiePie. But hey at least my friends can hear my beautiful voice nicely. :beyersmile:

Yeah, unless you already make tons of money, don’t we all wish we could make millions of dollars making fun and insulting anything and everything possibly video-game-related.:floatsmile:

May 17, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 21
I think the X2 plus a Schiit stack will work well and bring you in fairly close to your original budget. Alternatively the DT990 is fun too,but I own both and prefer the Fidelio far and away for gaming.

I own the HD6xx as well and really like it(best bang for buck headphone around IMO) but the staging is quite narrow,and lacks a bit of energy up top which again,IMO,isnt the best fit for your specific needs.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 21
If I were you I would be more interested in the Fidelio X2. Beyerdynamics are very nice, but on the bright side of neutral. Sennheisers have some midrange hump. The Fidelio on the graph response is extremely interesting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back