Trying floamies on my ER-4P's for the first time.......
Feb 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I was getting a little complacent with my 4P's and the tri-flanges. No issues with comfort, just wanted to see if I could enhance my listening experience with the Etys. I had always shunned the foamies since they can looks so dirty after a few uses, but, they're black and may not be as grungy-looking after a while.

They sure are comfy in there, they don't rape the ear cavities.

I am trying out my Sharp MD-DR77 with them, listening to Robert Plants's "Now and Zen" using SP. The bass seems a bit more pronounced. What else should I expect with the foamies? I can't yet tell if the isolation is the same, seems to be a tad less.....

I do notice the well-chronicled plastic stem could be at risk whenever I remove the foamies, either for replacement or cleaning - can they be cleaned?

Anyway, it's fun to try out new approaches to listening to music.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 14
For sheer durability, you can't beat the flanges. I am enjoying this foamie thing, for now.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Well I'm pretty sure the Shure Olives fit on the ER-4P's as well and they are black and supposedly last up to about 3 months a pair even if washed.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm pretty sure the Shure Olives fit on the ER-4P's as well and they are black and supposedly last up to about 3 months a pair even if washed.

The Shures do fit - but the Klipsch Image ear gels fit even better and make them less uncomfortable to wear.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 14
OK, I have been faithfully using the foamies for a few days. I find them to be more comfortable and less irritating in many regards, and the wax problems getting into the filters seems to be less of an issue. The SQ is still wonderful, I can't tell if it is better or just different over the tri-flange tips.

However, I find there is some pain during insertion. I roll up the foamie tip with my fingers and insert, seems to be kind of a raw feeling on my ear canals when I do this......Any tricks to reduce the discomfort?

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures do fit - but the Klipsch Image ear gels fit even better and make them less uncomfortable to wear.

Where did you buy the 'image ear gels' from. I suppose they can be bought as a replaceable part. Are these as good at isolating as the shure plugs?

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you buy the 'image ear gels' from. I suppose they can be bought as a replaceable part. Are these as good at isolating as the shure plugs?

I didn't buy them, they came with the Klipsch Image earphones. But it seems that Klipsch will be selling the contour ear gels as accessories on their website in the near future - they didn't say when! I didn't even bother to try the giant foam tips, they looked too uncomfortable. But I didn't have much luck with the Shure olive tips because I just couldn't insert the earphones deep enough (so I got barely got any isolation!). . . and even the small triple-flange was way too uncomfortable for me.

The Image gel is much smaller and more supple and fits my ear really well - and the isolation is excellent. I think the fit thing is down to the fact the Image gels are oval, not round - and they just seem to pop in without a lot of fiddling around. And they don't feel as intrusive as the Shure olives.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Might do with some stretching

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Feb 19, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 14
I don't find much difference either way. Anyway I use the APS cable which adds some bass and the bass boost on my SuperMini so I think the combined effect of these 2 way more than overshadows anything the tips could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back