try out headphones in NYC?
May 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i've been chatting with my friend about sennheisers, grados, beyerdynamics, audio technicas, AKG, etc. phones and would like to try and compare them before buying some more expensive ones, unfortunately these nice brands aren't available in chain stores, are there any places in or near NYC where we could try them?

May 11, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 18
Too bad, you just missed the meet in NY(I didn't go either). You could have tried out everything and more. Take a look at the pics.
There's always next year(for me too)
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 18
B&H carries them but they are in miserable condition and the place is a mess for a headphones tryout, on Harvey Electronics you can try Grado and Senns at least also....Route 17 north in Paramus NJ....

May 11, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
B&H carries them but they are in miserable condition and the place is a mess for a headphones tryout

When I asked to try out a pair at B&H, a salesperson said they no longer offered headphones to try out. That was a couple of months ago. Their reason was that people were messing them up pretty badly in the process.

I know that Park Avenue Audio has several Grado models, and you may be able to try them before buying.

May 11, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 18
I can't remember the name, but do a search, there is a nice place in the city w/Grados etc., Good luck

May 11, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 18
J&R has a nice headphone wall, with Sony's, Koss and Senn's, but listening itself is pretty useless. Good for comfort trials.

May 11, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
J&R has a nice headphone wall, with Sony's, Koss and Senn's, but listening itself is pretty useless. Good for comfort trials.

Do they? I work right near there, and have been in a few times looking at their headphone selection...all I saw was the wall with your typical packaged headphones for sale (at 31 Park Row). Perhaps the demo sets were in another section?

May 11, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminallyOdd
Do they? I work right near there, and have been in a few times looking at their headphone selection...all I saw was the wall with your typical packaged headphones for sale (at 31 Park Row). Perhaps the demo sets were in another section?

go upstairs - they're next to the windows

May 11, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 18
There's Stereo Exchange on Broadway and 4th (I think), anyhow you won't miss it if you walk on Broadway around NYU undergrad.

They have couple of Grados some AKGs and maybe a Senn or two on display.

May 11, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 18
thanks for all the help everyone
tongue.gif

keep em coming

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Hello guys,
I would like to restore the thread.

I am choosing between Sennheiser HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT-990, Audio-Technica A900X (though these are not manufactured anymore and only available online I think). Where in NYC can I listen to them (or close models) before bying?

Thank you in advance.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Guys, is it really possible that there is no such store in NY where you can come and try out different headphones and external DACs and buy them after trying out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back