Try Comply tips or give up on the ER-4P?
Dec 23, 2008 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ferraro25

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the ER-4P for over a year now, and every time I try it out with the black foams or the tri-flanges, no matter how far/at what angle/etc. I put them in, they always sound stupidly thin and tinny. I need to lower ~5KHz down by 5 or more dB (obviously moving slowly up in volume to both the right and left of the lowest part of the dip) to make the music sound acceptable - oddly enough, this is just about the opposite of the frequency response of the ER-4P as seen here (albeit at a higher strength).

The possibilities (that I can think of) then are that I have really oddly-shaped outer ears (my ears don't look out of the ordinary), and/or that I can somehow hear the actual frequency response of the earphones (which I would assume is impossible), and/or that I cannot get a good fit. I am sure most people are assuming the last cause, but when I fit the ER-4Ps in my ears with either the foams or the tri-flanges, I am pretty close to deaf to the outside world even when I do not have the earphones plugged in. I have also used multiple sources and amp/no amp. Perhaps my inner ears are oddly-angled? That would not seem to be the case, because I have tried pointing the tips (while in my ears, of course) in all sorts of directions, to no real change in the overall crappiness of the sound.

And besides, the ER-4P with the ~5KHz peak corrected for doesn't sound that incredible to me - basically like "decent" headphones; nothing amazing. Obviously, EQ'ing improperly fitting earphones (assuming that this is the problem) is not as good as getting a decent fit, but I doubt that I will use the ER-4P much unless a proper fit results in something comparable to or better than the PX-100. A good amount of detail + a decently inoffensive (basically, not thin or tinny) sound balance would be nice.

For a while now I've considered purchasing Comply tips to see if they would fix the problem. So, my question is if there is anyone else out there who had the same problem as I did, and, after getting the Comply tips, still found the ER-4P to sound like tinny, yet detailed (at least when not much is going on), crap? Thanks.

And yes, I have changed out the filters recently (and did a comparison before and after changing the filters, hearing no difference), and I do make sure that the plugs are clean.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I would assume you don't get a good fit, but you say the opposite.. The key to properly inserting the triflanges in your ears it to straighten the ear canal by pulling your ear back and up a bit. You'd also better moisten the tip and just slide it in your ear canal. If properly inserted these give the feeling of a vacuum in your ear.

The foamines' tip is larger and when I put them I roll them between my fingers, straighten my ear canal and push them as deep in as I can. They don't actually enter my ear canal I think, or at least not as deep as the triflanges. I still get a good seal and they stay there until pulled out.

If seal is not the issue better request new tips from Ety's Customer Service (baby blue and glider tips) before giving up on the phones.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I didn't come to fully appreciate my Etymotic HF5 until I swapped to Klipsch gels (from my Image X10), as I hated the triple flanges since they sat so deep in the ear (pretty much to the point of pain!). The gels also warmed up the sound ever so slightly. It's possibly my favorite IEM now (at least, for the moment). I still love my Image X10 and FS Atrio M5, but neither quite reaches the detail the HF5 offers, and the HF5 is just as comfortable with the Klipsch gels as the Image X10 is.

My ultimate point? You're either too uncomfortable to enjoy what you're hearing when you do get a good seal, or you're simply not getting a good seal (which is likely the case). Try the comply tips before making a decision.

If that doesn't work, you definitely need something with more "meat" to it. In that case snag the Sleek Audio SA6, which will still be full of treble but more relaxed across the entire spectrum of sound. If you really need something bassier/warmer, grab the Klipsch Image X10, or if you're really desperate to feel the rumble, the Future Sonics Atrio M5.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Did the 4P always sound stupidly thin and tiny, even when you first purchased them? They are known for having a low quantity of bass. Obviously, the quality is good. Maybe you are a basshead and need the super.fi 5 EB's?
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would assume you don't get a good fit, but you say the opposite.. The key to properly inserting the triflanges in your ears it to straighten the ear canal by pulling your ear back and up a bit. You'd also better moisten the tip and just slide it in your ear canal. If properly inserted these give the feeling of a vacuum in your ear.

The foamines' tip is larger and when I put them I roll them between my fingers, straighten my ear canal and push them as deep in as I can. They don't actually enter my ear canal I think, or at least not as deep as the triflanges. I still get a good seal and they stay there until pulled out.

If seal is not the issue better request new tips from Ety's Customer Service (baby blue and glider tips) before giving up on the phones.

I know how to insert the tips, and I get a vacuum feeling from both types of tips.

Anyway, I might try the Comply tips in the future if I feel like taking a chance.

If I am hearing the ER-4P the way it is supposed to sound (I'm most likely not), then there is no way the ER-4P is anywhere near neutral or accurate.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I think slim complys (or small/medium shure olives, although I haven't tried them) could make a difference for you, assuming you have small ear canals. The frequency response varies a lot with insertion depth and I've experienced tinny sound with sibilance when they're not inserted deep enough (This is how deep I usually go... if you have problems getting them in this far, then maybe complys will solve your problem. If not, they probably won't help.)

Edit: I also get the vacuum feeling from the larger tips (the new mushroom tips that I tried today were HORRIBLE in this aspect, it felt like they were about to suck out my brain!). The sucking makes the tips uncomfortable, and affects your hearing. With tri-flanges, it's pretty easy to get rid of the pressure by tilting them, opening the seal, and then letting them re-seal (without pressure). But I guess this is hard if they don't fit well in the first place. There's absolutely no problem with this (for me) when using slim complys. You just roll them a little, stick them in, and let them expand for a couple of a seconds. BAM! Perfect, neutral etymotic sound, the way it should be.

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Besides the fit, could it be the quality of your source? I know I had buyer's remorse when I first got them. They sounded shrill until I plugged them directly into a SL230 with some quality cd recordings. They tend to be very revealing of less than optimal recordings. Maybe they're not your cup of tea for the type of music you listen to? You may prefer a warming sounding iem like the Custom 3's I recently picked up during the Klipsch sale. They are more enjoyable and forgiving to my ears. I'm listening to them more than the ER4P/S. I'm still not getting rid of the Etys. They'll serve as an alternate reference.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 9
the slim complys with etymotic phones work wonders...incredible isolation and great sound

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 9
In the interest of helping someone with smaller ear canals. I always use the smallest stock earbud tips. From sound magic, sony, nu force. For me, the comply tips that bring out the best of my er4p's are the t-100's. Less tinny sounding than the stock foam tips. In fact, not Tinny at all. More bass. A much more well rounded and pleasant overall sound. No more harshness. Would like to see more people talk about ear canal size when discussing headphones. I think that has a lot to do with good and bad reviews and initial reactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back