Truthear Impressions/Discussion
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #196 of 215
Are you saying there is no bass, just distortion, at that frequency band coming from the Truthear IEMs or in music in general?
I guess I'm making a claim of something in between: I don't think I've ever had good experience in this regard with subbass (<50Hz) heavy IEMs in general. This is probably also true with headphones, although I don't recall any headphones having excessive bass <50Hz besides TH900. This certainly doesn't apply to speakers (although I've never checked the FR of my subwoofer). But even the TH900 doesn't have excessive <50Hz like the Harman IEMs of today. I previously thought it was that I have beef with Harman bass shelves in general, but it turns out that the Zero's bass shelf actually works for me. I'm hoping that the Chopin can help me answer some questions about whether having a louder bass as a whole will make the experience better for me.

I know I have a preference for high-treble roll-off; perhaps I'm learning that I have a preference for subbass roll-off too.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #197 of 215
Got the Chopin and been listening to it on the Zero/Red cable. It is basically a Zero with a more recessed midrange. The treble is more sibilant than the Zero, although I'd still take the treble of the Chopin over that of something like a Storm or a Z1R; the Truthear bar is just too high.

Overall I am very impressed by the four IEM (Zero, Red, Nova and Chopin). They are all in my opinion correct variations of the Harman target: the more the midrange simulates a proximity effect, the louder the midrange should be relative to bass and treble. The ordering is the same if I sort them by midrange warmth or midrange loudness: Red, Nova, Zero, Chopin. The Nova is a straight-up upgrade over the Red. The other three should come down to personal preference.

My least favorite tuning-wise is the Chopin. The midrange is surprisingly recessed and cold considering that the reviewer who tuned it pretty much only talks about vocals in his reviews. My guess is that he arrived at this tuning from mostly listening to very modern (think post-2015) pop music, where the vocals are already warm and loud in the mix. But out of the four, Chopin is actually the one I'd most likely keep for the long term and do some tip/cable rolling to work around its tuning, simply due to how well built it is. I much prefer resin over acrylic pour, and not having to worry about it when I throw it in my pocket.

Edit: More impressions after a few days of cable and tip rolling, and listening only to my favorite test tracks (mostly Loreena Mckennitt live recordings):

Zero/Red vs Nova: I was wrong about Red vs Nova. The Nova does appear more transparent in the midrange, but at the same time lacks warmth. Actually I'm not really sure warmth is the right word for it. Images of instruments have more "pin-point" accuracy on the Nova, but they are also more dry. The dryness is audible even when compared to the Zero, which has a much brighter tuning. The quieter instruments in the mix (for example, the Uilleann pipes in Loreena's Huron ‘Beltane’ Fire Dance live, in Nights from the Alhambra) are often reduced to their positional cues on the Nova, whereas on the Red/Zero they have more "body". This is the case even though Zero has a much louder pinna gain and treble than the Nova. This may be a BA vs DD issue, idk.

Zero vs Chopin: Chopin is meant to be worn deep, I figured. It is surprisingly comfortable even when worn at the insertion point as my E500. With a deep insertion, the Chopin has thunderous bass, pushing the midrange back even further, for the benefit of reducing the treble. The treble glare is less audible with a deep insertion and a better cable, but is still present especially next to the extremely smooth Truthears. The occasional glare prompts me to lower the volume, which further reduces the midrange. You'd think this much bass can work well for outdoor use, but no. Outdoor IEMs should have extra midbass, not subbass, because no amount of added subbass can compensate for the bone-conducted noise. By the FR, Zero should be a much brighter IEM than the Chopin, but my impression is the opposite. The Zero has as much sibilance as the Chopin, but the same sibilance is much less fatiguing and sharp on the Zero. Chopin also has a dryness issue similar to the Nova, but the midrange is so recessed it is hard to hear. By the time I hear it, it is at a volume where the treble glare is already overwhelming.

Zero/Chopin vs Red/Nova: despite the bass on the Chopin being too loud, I still much prefer it over the bass on the Red/Nova. My preferred volume would be somewhere between the Zero and the Chopin. I think I like bass shelves with a roll off. Between the Nova and the Red, the bass on the Nova is especially underwhelming, likely due to a combination of the lack of roll-off and the midrange dryness.

My verdict: I will probably keep both the Zero and the Red and get rid of Nova and Chopin. Nova to me has more problems than the Red red than it has advantages. Chopin is excellent if you are in for the big bass and don't mind treble glare (I can totally see people perceiving it as detail). Otherwise there really isn't an advantage over the Zero. That Chopin's build and design though, sheesh. Can't wait to see what's next from Binary Acoustics.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #198 of 215
My guess is that he arrived at this tuning from mostly listening to very modern (think post-2015) pop music.

Judging at the stuff he posts in his channel sometimes, I think Timmy mostly listens to AI generated stuff like Hatsune Miku. Or at least it sounds like that to my ears, the Asian version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #200 of 215
I am using medium size silicone tips as I am not a fan of foam tips and both dual flange tips did not seal right for me, and uncomfortable too. Driving the IEMs with the amazing Tanchjim Space and a 4.4 mm balanced cable too. BTW within this price range a multi connector cable should be mandatory, like Aria 2 now includes.

I listened to all 3 side by side with the same song, dongle and cable.

7Hz Salnotes Zero is the smallest and lightest. Bass is also the least of all 3, especially deep bass is missing, but has some bass thump. Highs are also less pronounced, so overall a mid-centric, very nicely tuned IEM.

Truthear Zero Red is by far the warmest, with thicker bass and lower mids, somewhat recessed treble. But also its sound is super comfortable, I can listen to it all day. A shame the ergonomics is the most clunky of all 3, although medium sized.

Truthear Nova is the largest, but fits my ear like a glove. Less middle bass compared to the other 2, with more sub bass and less thump. Brighter signature with the most amount of treble of all. Makes for clean and resolving sound, but I fear it becomes too clinical and possibly fatiguing? I will see more the next few weeks.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #201 of 215
Truthear Nova is the largest, but fits my ear like a glove. Less middle bass compared to the other 2, with more sub bass and less thump. Brighter signature with the most amount of treble of all. Makes for clean and resolving sound, but I fear it becomes too clinical and possibly fatiguing? I will see more the next few weeks.
You could use Shio or Cayin RU6 to power them.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #202 of 215
Anyone got experience with warranty claims? 5 months of joy from the Hexa but somehhow the 2 pin connector on one side has bit the dust:

PXL_20231121_111451178.jpg

I've emailed Shenzen Audio who I bought them off but otherwise might be back in the market as a repair doesn't seem straight forward.

EDIT: Shenzen Audio hace agreed to send a replacement after a couple of questions. Very impressed.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #203 of 215
Holy cow, really impressed by the Truthear Nova. I expected it to sound too lean like the Galaxy Buds2 Pro based off measurements, but it ended up sounding much more natural to me. Well-balanced and very smooth sound. Their resolution was no slouch either, definitely punches above their price point. Personally, I prefer the bass elevation to be a bit higher up rather than all focused in the subbass, so only knock for me.

Shell shape is very comfortable too and overall build quality is pretty good. I like the cable's above-average length too, good for desktop use. With the blue resin shell and the excellent value proposition, this feels a lot more like the second coming of the Moondrop Starfield than the actual Starfield 2.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #204 of 215
Novas are pretty good. At first the shells feel comfortable, but time will tell. They give a better grip than HEXA and sound more exciting. Hexas are not bad and sound just more neutral. I like to eq the bass of Novas by doing 80 Hz Peak 0,7Q +2 dB or some other variation. Great mid-fi IEMs.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #205 of 215
Does anyone know what foam tips fit the Novas? Also if anyone uses eq, a pk gain at 225hz +3db Q 0.3 really fills out the midrange giving more body to male vocals and adding more thump to bass notes. Really enjoying my novas at the moment. Quick effortless sound signature that punches well above its price bracket. Just wish it wasn't so damn big.

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #207 of 215
Got my Hexa today. Needed IEMs for DualSense controller and Steam Deck on the go. However, these boys deliver. I'm lost on Tidal listening through my albums and i can't find a fault in anything, build, design, sound and quality of depth these portray. At this price this is giant slayer.

LCD Soundsystem - how do you sleep?

Crazy synth stabs, oh boy...

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #208 of 215
Got my Hexa today. Needed IEMs for DualSense controller and Steam Deck on the go. However, these boys deliver. I'm lost on Tidal listening through my albums and i can't find a fault in anything, build, design, sound and quality of depth these portray. At this price this is giant slayer.

LCD Soundsystem - how do you sleep?

Crazy synth stabs, oh boy...

I’m still going to hold my position that the bass lacks any sense of impact. The bass quantity is fine for my tastes, but I just feel like there is just something missing there. I even prefer my ER4SR, which has less bass quantity.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #209 of 215
Anyone has an idea if ShenzenAudio will do a Christmas or end of the year sale? (Based on what they have done past years)
I ask because I seriously thinking about getting the Nova. Last month it was a bit tight for me having to buy Christmas gifts for a bunch of people, but if they put the Nova on sale again, plus the discount I have on my account, I think I can get it very low.

Also, anyone who has both the Nova and Old Zero could give me a summary of your impressions?
I ask because I had the Zero but sold it to a cousin of mine as he needed an extra IEM and is was the only "budget" I was willing to part ways with. I never thought it was bad but to truly enjoy it I had to listen to it on a volume much higher than I'm used to.
I also see some people complaining about the "peaky" treble or thin lower mids, but honestly, I love my female vocals front and center, so I am really excited to get a baby Variations to use when on the go.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #210 of 215
I have just uploaded my review of the Truthear Nova!

Big thanks to Truthear for sending out a review unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back