Truly exciting gear?
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
It's winter, and I find myself craving that next piece of gear, but I'm coming to the realization that most stuff out there is competent but boring-sounding.

Can anyone recommend equipment, in any and all categories - headphone amps, headphones, cd players, everything - that could be described as nirvana-producing or life-changing? At all price points, but, of course, the less expensive the better?
tongue.gif

What piece of equipment opened your eyes as to what was truly possible when it comes to musical reproduction in the home? What gear are you passionate about, couldn't live without??

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What piece of equipment opened your eyes as to what was truly possible when it comes to musical reproduction in the home? What gear are you passionate about, couldn't live without??

Your Onkyo doesn't play SACDs, does it?

If not, now might be a great time to try out that medium. You can pick up a used Marantz SA8001 for $600 or so on Audiogon, which would be a great introductory player.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 32
This might not be the answer that you are looking for. But from my experience, there is not going to be a single piece of gear that will do this for you.

Although I will leave my mind open for such a product to exist. I think that the possibility for you to get a recommendation for such a product from any given person, that would yeild that same experience for you, is very close to nonexsistent. Especially since you will approach this product with the expectation of a life-changing experience.

I think that Duggeh's recommendation is a good one though. Get a turntable(will not recommend one) and experience the (possible) joys finding music that you will not be able to get in another medium. That, I think, might raise you're musical enjoyment.

I will say that I have not nearly as much experince with most types of audio gear as some people on these forums. But there has not been any single product that I have purchased from recommendation by others that have given me a higher musical enjoyment.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 32
My experience is, also, that perhaps one piece of gear won't do the trick - it may be the combo that's all-important.

The Onkyo doesn't do SACD. I've tried it briefly in the past, but never gave it a fair trial; ditto vinyl.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 32
I think nirvana-producing is directly dependent on just how much nirvana you want. There is plenty of psychology involved when you are talking about nirvana and "worth it." I get plenty of nirvana from a $200 pair of headphones plugged into a Sansa Clip and not so much nirvana when I hear a $2000 setup that sounds slightly different, not necessarily better.

Have you tried Magnepan planar speakers? The MMGs are $600, which is a fairly low entry point for planars. The Magnepans I tried (one of the models above the MMGs) were a nice departure from cone based speakers which seem to be just going to same dance as every other cone based speaker.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 32
Gregg,

I am with Duggeh on this one.

Try Vinyl even on a modest system.

The 3D imaging, the rawness, the dynamics, etc. bring you so very close to the music IMO. My vinyl setup is pretty entry level, yet it sounds better than my digital in many respects. Vintage music remastered CD's (older rock, jazz, etc.) have nothing on the original vinyl in quite a few cases IMO.

Plus, it will give you plenty to fiddle with and keep your mind off of new purchases. :bigsmile:

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 32
Although I would also side strongly with those who have thus far recommended the superior recording and playback medium (after tape) I would also say that you will probably get a decent chunk of "wow" by just doing something new and different.

The overall scope of the system looks very narrow. Its very easy for a system with a very narrow scope to get boring. Optimize the system for your favorite sure, but IMO its worth it to own something you are not "absolutely totally enamored with" to listen now and again simply to mix it up.

Would you think of only playing 1 recording of one single piece of music for months? of course not: You would get bored and just stop listening. variety is the spice of life.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 32
Magix levitation feet and ERS paper do what you ask, or so I've read

:)P)

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 32
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 32
Personally, I would bet my money on the new 32-bit Sabre32 DAC chip, with proper filter implementation, killer discrete output stage, and I2S input..

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 32
Yeah, I've preordered the HD800. Now I'm worried about having proper supporting equipment. I kind of imagine lots of people are thinking about that now. Something like the 800 sets off a chain of $$$ at Head-Fi, doesn't it? As if the phones weren't $ enough.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back