True Blood, Dexter and the new TV season
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
More than any series in recent memory every week True Blood has me excited to see the next episode. Now it's six days until the season finale. I can't wait for this Sunday, except I will miss it while it's gone. I think I'll cancel HBO until it comes back. At least Sundays will have Dexter starting on the 27th. I'm really looking forward to Dexter's 4th season, not to mention Californication.

This Fall's slate of new TV shows is pretty uninspiring. There's only a few that I plan on checking out.

V on SyFy 11/03
The Vampire Diaries CW 9/10 (I don't hold much hope for this, but I like Vampires)
Stargate Universe SyFy 10/02 (Tired franchise, but I love SciFi)

Definitely the biggest disappointment to me is NBC waisting 5 prime-time hours a week on Jay Leno, he's so freaking tired. That's 5 hours that could have gone to good nighttime dramas, and NBC has a history of having good 10 PM dramas.

I watch entirely too much TV. Now I'm addicted to live streaming of netflix content via my BluRay player. Network TV is loosing it. They are so driven by having to have an immediate hit that they cancel good shows before they have a chance to find an audience, and they don't appreciate when a show has a loyal hard core fan-base.

Any thoughts on the upcoming TV season?

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More than any series in recent memory every week True Blood has me excited to see the next episode. Now it's six days until the season finale. I can't wait for this Sunday, except I will miss it while it's gone. I think I'll cancel HBO until it comes back. At least Sundays will have Dexter starting on the 27th. I'm really looking forward to Dexter's 4th season, not to mention Californication.

This Fall's slate of new TV shows is pretty uninspiring. There's only a few that I plan on checking out.

V on SyFy 11/03
The Vampire Diaries CW 9/10 (I don't hold much hope for this, but I like Vampires)
Stargate Universe SyFy 10/02 (Tired franchise, but I love SciFi)

Definitely the biggest disappointment to me is NBC waisting 5 prime-time hours a week on Jay Leno, he's so freaking tired. That's 5 hours that could have gone to good nighttime dramas, and NBC has a history of having good 10 PM dramas.

I watch entirely too much TV. Now I'm addicted to live streaming of netflix content via my BluRay player. Network TV is loosing it. They are so driven by having to have an immediate hit that they cancel good shows before they have a chance to find an audience, and they don't appreciate when a show has a loyal hard core fan-base.

Any thoughts on the upcoming TV season?

I'm not really sure of what the upcoming new season holds. I like Jay Leno but I didn't know it was going to be every night at 10 P.M. My wife got me into "True Blood." We both look forward to the next episode. We have also really enjoyed HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher," "In Treatment," and "Hung." (never really got into "Entourage," or "Big Love"...) I saw "Dexter" twice when I subscribed to Showtime, I think it was. I don't know, it didn't draw me in. I don't have Showtime anymore and I have never seen "Californication." This summer, TNT's "Raising The Bar" has been a good 10 P.M. drama. I'm looking forward to "Survivor," (my wife gets me involved in some of these reality shows which I half pay attention to while I'm doing stuff for work, I tolerate "Survivor" the best...) and I believe that "Fringe" has been renewed. I saw a commercial for a show called "FlashForward" on ABC that looks like it has potential. I also liked the premiere of "Southland" after "ER" (one of my all time favorite shows...) was discontinued. I believe that "Southland" is coming back.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really sure of what the upcoming new season holds. I like Jay Leno but I didn't know it was going to be every night at 10 P.M. My wife got me into "True Blood." We both look forward to the next episode. We have also really enjoyed HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher," "In Treatment," and "Hung." (never really got into "Entourage," or "Big Love"...) I saw "Dexter" twice when I subscribed to Showtime, I think it was. I don't know, it didn't draw me in. I don't have Showtime anymore and I have never seen "Californication." This summer, TNT's "Raising The Bar" has been a good 10 P.M. drama. I'm looking forward to "Survivor," (my wife gets me involved in some of these reality shows which I half pay attention to while I'm doing stuff for work, I tolerate "Survivor" the best...) and I believe that "Fringe" has been renewed. I saw a commercial for a show called "FlashForward" on ABC that looks like it has potential. I also liked the premiere of "Southland" after "ER" (one of my all time favorite shows...) was discontinued. I believe that "Southland" is coming back.

I love True Blood it freakin rocks. I don't think they could have cast
that show any better. Dexter never took with me? I really don't know.
I think I was kinda homesick for 6 feetunder. Though I don't think I have
ever seen a better ending of a show. All wrapped up.

ANYBODY GOT SOME V JUICE WILL SEND PAY-PAL
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm looking forward to It's Always Sunny, Supernatural... and I don't actually know what else is coming up. I've recently got into Chuck and have watched most of the episodes, but I hear it won't be returning until like March 2010.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 15
Ok, so any thoughts on the finale from fellow Truebies?

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Ok, so any thoughts on the finale from fellow Truebies?

I thought it was a great season ender. It looked at first like all the loose ends were wrapping up happily for most, but they still managed to stick the hook in us for next season. I'm guessing the show's been popular enough to guarantee it's return next season .... unlike Rome, Deadwood, and Carnivale, which were also great shows IMO, but were unceremoniously cut before their time. I was glad to see Weeds back to keep Sunday nights interesting.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 15
I've enjoyed the first two Dexter seasons and am waiting to find the time to watch the third.

Agreed Deadwood was a good show killed off way too soon. The third season didn't quite measure up to the first two in my book. Would have been nice to see what happened with the characters and area over time. Oh well...

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 15
True Blood finale spoilers below
I'm wondering if it was Eric that took Bill? If he was wearing gloves could he have handled silver and made it look as if he was taken by a human or was it someone new that we'll have to wait for next season to find out the why? I was glad to see Maryann and Eggs go but now Tara has something to bitch and cry about next season. Looking forward to the introduction of some werewolves next season. Glad to see Lafayette getting back to normal, he rocks!

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 15
I thought the True Blood Season Finale was kind of anticlimactic.

Spoiler......

And since the queen told Erik to take care of Bill we sort of know he's responsible. And since Sookie's cousin was in the room when the queen told Erik to take care of Bill we even know how Sookie will find out what happened to bill.

The first episode of CW's Vampire Diaries kinda sucked. It appears to be a cross between Twilight (Which Sucked) and any number of CW series that have basically been vehicles for attractive young celebrities. I'll give it maybe one more episode, but I don't give it much of a chance.

Still Supernatural is worth watching.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the True Blood Season Finale was kind of anticlimactic.

Spoiler......

And since the queen told Erik to take care of Bill we sort of know he's responsible. And since Sookie's cousin was in the room when the queen told Erik to take care of Bill we even know how Sookie will find out what happened to bill.

The first episode of CW's Vampire Diaries kinda sucked. It appears to be a cross between Twilight (Which Sucked) and any number of CW series that have basically been vehicles for attractive young celebrities. I'll give it maybe one more episode, but I don't give it much of a chance.

Still Supernatural is worth watching.

Not necessarily, Bill's maker was pretty bent with his last words to her and she is another vamp that could overpower him. You also still have the chance that church of the sun (or whatever it was called) is looking for some payback and has some need to get their hands on Bill and/or Sookie.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Dexter! Can't wait for season 4... 1 and 2 were amazing.. 3 was kinda a let-down though

the curse of year three again? Oh well.

Breaking Bad on AMC is another of recent vintage that I've enjoyed watching. Good dark humor in that.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Dexter! Can't wait for season 4... 1 and 2 were amazing.. 3 was kinda a let-down though

Yeah, the way I look at anything that's in a series is:

1st = Good but needs improvement
2nd = Same idea as the first but the problems are fixed
3rd = They find some way to strip it down but still likable/functional
4th = Writers/producers respond to consumer feedback and add SOME of the pizzaz back, but upping the price (Dunno how much SHO is anymore, my mom canceled the dish)

And this goes accordingly with both products, movies, and video-games and is pretty accurate.

Season 4's gonna be a little too wannabe-ish (They're trying to make some scenes like action movies) but still funny. 1st episode is funnier than any I can remember (I saw them all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back