TRS plug/jack layouts
Nov 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yumigator

100+ Head-Fier
On a long flight, I was bored and decided to get my full-size headphones connected to the in-flight entertainment system. This was one of the old planes, on which the jacks still have two plugs.

I took the cheap, non-isolating headphones they passed out and cut the plug off with a plastic knife and stripped the wires with my teeth. I connected the wires the the plug of my headphones, and connected the other end to the plane's jack.

27y3669.jpg

You can see that the mono plug, when folded to the left, would connect that channel to the middle contact of the stereo jack (the plug is designed so that the original phones can connect to both airline and standard type jacks). It seems to me that the top of the stereo jack is the ground, since there are two wires on it. Of the remaining two contacts, which is left and which is right?

2zp4854.jpg

This is the cheap jack I purchased from Radioshack, so I can take this assembly on planes in the future without the hassle of wrapping wires around a plug. I guess the large contact is the ground. You can see that one contact is round and one is flat; which of these is right and left?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cut off plug with plastic butter knife, strip wires with teeth, in flight.
Are you like MacGyver or what? LOL.

My friend mentioned that I looked like a terrorist.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo de Monet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at it, I'm willing to bet the sleeve is ground, as is normal; if that's true, I see no reason why the remainder wouldn't follow the standard formula of tip = left, ring = right.

Thanks, that's what I expected too.

As for the jack, any ideas? I have two, but I don't want to have to sacrifice one just to see how the wires should be connected. There's a lot of information out there on plugs, not so much on jacks.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by yumigator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend mentioned that I looked like a terrorist.

Thanks, I have just laughed so hard that I gave my computer screen a bath.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo de Monet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you have a multimeter? Jack + plug + multimeter + continuity tests will quickly and positively tell you which contact is which...

Yeah, I was hoping someone already had experience with this jack, but it's probably lower-grade than people here dare to touch. I didn't have a multimeter with me, so I did the battery+flashlight bulb test. The round contact is right channel; the flat contact is left.
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I have just laughed so hard that I gave my computer screen a bath.
biggrin.gif

Oh good, glad I could help
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back