TRRS recable
Feb 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IMAWolf

100+ Head-Fier
Hey DIY guys! So recently my Klipsch S4i failed at the plug, since it was out of warranty, i just cut the head off and got a new a plug, it was only this morning when the plug arrived that i realized... i have no idea how to solder a TRRS.

Right now i have in front of me 2 bronze wires, one red, one green, and one red striped green, any ideas?

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 4
A multimeter would solve all this for you. No one who hasn't chopped that cable is going to know what colors go where. Buy a cheap one if you have to, and then return it if you have to, but it is THE solution to your issue.

You'll also need the stock plug. That's where you check the continuity from the plug contacts to the colored wires, if indeed there are wires left.

If there are two bronze, they are likely ground, and go to the sleeve, i.e. the contact furthest from the plug tip, or the outermost solder point. Right is red if the colors were done mindfully. The other two are gonna be a 50/50.

But knowing that one's the microphone, and guessing that mic shorted to ground will pause your song, you've got something to work with.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Also, if one wire is thinner gauge than the others, it may be the mic. Common sense, since it's the only one that is not in a pair and doesn't logically need to be identical to another.

Don't know if you were asking about TRRS, but in that order should be left driver, right driver, mic, ground. That's off memory, which fails me all the time, so hopefully you can google better than I can recall facts.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmm, why didn't i think of that? 
tongue.gif
 Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back