Troubleshoot Fiio F5 2.5 mm cable
May 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Shray Vats

New Head-Fier
Plainsboro, New Jersey, 08536, United States
Hey Head-Fi Community,

I broke my 3.5mm cable for my Fiio F5s about a week ago. Instead of buying a new cable, I ordered a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter. I primarily listen to music on my laptop and phone, and have found that plugging the 2.5mm balanced cable that came with the headphones gives a very distorted noise with weird noises. Is this because I'm using it with a laptop/phone, or is there a way to fix it.

May 22, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 2
In short....

Just add something like this with no microphone, or add a microphone to your mobile phone set-up.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Earphones-Stereo-Adapter-Microphone/dp/B06X19QRKP

Most likely you just started to use what’s pictured below.
90E4ACDC-BA46-4A20-AD3D-CAA65F78DB1F.jpeg
Hey Head-Fi Community,

I broke my 3.5mm cable for my Fiio F5s about a week ago. Instead of buying a new cable, I ordered a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter. I primarily listen to music on my laptop and phone, and have found that plugging the 2.5mm balanced cable that came with the headphones gives a very distorted noise with weird noises. Is this because I'm using it with a laptop/phone, or is there a way to fix it.

You would be best finding an MMCX single ended 3.5mm cable close to what came with the product. Though be carful as changing the MMCX cable a number of times can possibly weaken the MMCX connectors at the IEM or cable joining area, resulting in a consistent “loose” fit.

Also, you can read the issues here trying to use balanced and unbalanced cables together.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/help-with-balanced-unbalanced-dap.851566/

The adaptor can slighly change and many believe here, always change the sound. Though there is 3.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended adaptors normally you don’t want to go balanced to single-ended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back