Trouble with shorting out
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pandareds

New Head-Fier
So I've recently shorted out 3 of my headphones and the only reason why I think this is happening is because I wrap the cable around my headphones or mp3 player when I'm not using it.

Is this the reason why it's shortening out?

Also, if it is the reason, how do you guys store your headphones away.
And i'm not talking about hjust storing it away at home. I'm talking about storing on the go.
Like I have to store my headphones in my backpack when I'm moving from class to class.

Thanks in advance

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't think you shorted them, I think the connection broke in the cable or contact point. (A short happens when electricity still flows, but not through the entire circuit.)

Anyway, pulling and tugging on wires causes contacts to break and the wire to sometimes fail after repeatedly being bent.

I never wrap up wires. For my IEMs, I just kinda squish them together with one hand and then toss them into my bag. I know - sacrilege. But I've never had a bad tangle and they've held up fine for something near six years so far. Those who meticulously wrap, case, etc. seem to have more failures.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
But wouldn't squishing them in effect cause more bending of the wires?

Quote:
I don't think you shorted them, I think the connection broke in the cable or contact point. (A short happens when electricity still flows, but not through the entire circuit.)

Anyway, pulling and tugging on wires causes contacts to break and the wire to sometimes fail after repeatedly being bent.

I never wrap up wires. For my IEMs, I just kinda squish them together with one hand and then toss them into my bag. I know - sacrilege. But I've never had a bad tangle and they've held up fine for something near six years so far. Those who meticulously wrap, case, etc. seem to have more failures.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 7
is this akin to saying those who take out term life insurance have more accidents? :)

Quote:

joking apart, I also think you shouldn't fret too much over the wires. they're generally made to withstand quite a bit.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 7
I mean it's happened to all of my headphones.

It has to be me wrapping it around my mp3 tight

Quote:
is this akin to saying those who take out term life insurance have more accidents? :)

joking apart, I also think you shouldn't fret too much over the wires. they're generally made to withstand quite a bit.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 7
:)

But pulling tightly on the wires while wrapping weakens the solder joints. It's better not to put stress on them. It doesn't look neat, but just tossing them into a bag doesn't cause stress on the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back