Trouble with headphones with Beresford 7520
Apr 2, 2009 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mirh

Head-Fier
I've just bought the new Beresford TC-7520.
I had before iBasso D3 (headamp/DAC). I have 2 pairs of headphones: AKG-280K Parabolic and Westone UM2 (IEM). With iBasso (sold) Westone sounded better than AKG with every source I tried (PC, my old CD Kenwood DP-5060, squeezebox).
Now with Beresford the situation is quite different: AKG sounds much better, even better than Westone with iBasso in previous configs.
The problem now is that I use headphones mainly during nights and IEMs are completely silent outside so I don’t disturb anybody – I listen in bed and when I try with AKG... you know my wife... :) couldn’t sleep.
With Westone UM2 and the newest Beresford TC-7520 sound is muddy and very dark... They completely don’t match and I’m afraid that even changing headamp doesn’t help because the signature of the sound of the DAC section is rather warm and analog so there is too much warmth with Westone UM2which are quite specific...
What I need is quiet (outside), probably closed full-size headphones.
If not full-size that I prefer IEM cause they are really quiet outside and comfortable when staying in the bed.
I like tight controlled bass, little warm in middle and detalic natural sounding highs. If possible (with headphones) I like soundstage similar to what I hear with speakers.
I listen mainly progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Roger Waters), some light jazz and some classic.
So taking that into consideration can anyone (who has new Beresford TC-7520) recommend me any headphones worth to listen?

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 20
I have had my Beresford 7520 for close on 3 weeks now, (listened and owned many DAC's including the Stello DA100 Signature).

For £170 its incredible value as a standalone DAC, but (you knew this was coming) I don't rate the headphone amp (but to me its a bonus), you described it perfectly muddy and very dark!

I currently have my Beresford 7520 running into a Heed Canamp with a AKG K702 headphone and it sounds superb.

The DAC has an almost analogue signature, as if your listening to vinyl.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 20
mirh, due to a situation which I will not mention not many here own a TC-7520. Thus it might be best if you would go to the Beresford forum to ask that question.

I will say that your best bet is to listen to a few closed cans, they sound very different to open cans and some do not like their sound. I happen to be one who likes closed ones and so far I have enjoyed: Audio Technica ATH-W1000, ATH-ESW9, Ultrasone HFI-780, Equation Eartools RP21, etc.

Good luck.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 20
I have a TC-7520. Been using it as mainly a headphone amp at work up to now. It's a better at it's DAC duties but I like it.

From the point of view of disturbing others I would think in-canal phones are best. You don't say what your budget is but I use Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 100 - cost under £20 but you'd never know. Noticeable improvement over my previous Shure phones that cost a lot more. Also has a fabric cord so no tangles or breaks, which is what happened to my Shures. Pretty comfy too. Proved to me you don't always have to spend big.

Good luck.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apparently mentioning Beresford is near blasphemy on head fi?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ber...ne-amp-417864/

I don't care who designed it or produced...
I've just bought it from our local polish distributor and have some problems with my Westone UM2. With my AKG it sounds very good but this headphones is open type so I cannot use it during night listenings.
I thought that sb. will help me :frowning2:

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 20
I have a 7520 and would recommend swapping out the opamps which are socketed for easy rolling to something like the LM4562's or the THS4032CD's which IMHO sound awesome. As the opamps are fairly cheap this makes it a great way to get the 'sound' you want.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like saying Voldemort in the Harry Potter series...

I find this relationship between Beresford and head-fi to be very strange. While the evil magician from the children's book was a malevolent murderer who, in all probability, deserved to be executed/exiled/whatever, the DAC in question has become a pariah due to an idiotic strategy of salesmanship. The actual DAC has no characteristics of causing harm to anyone in this forum. I can understand that some here were so appalled with the actions of a particular person that they couldn't separate him from his product. But, to somehow demonize this DAC as being an incarnation of greed and manipulations is absolutely ridiculous. So, if you refuse to discuss the DAC that must not be named, consider the possibility that you are just exasperating the exaggerated politics of an online forum.

A lot has been said about the Audio-gd Compass along with several of the members of this forum, let's see where that takes us.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Discussions seem to be going fine in this thread aside from the "but head-fi hates this" comments. Nobody's stepped in to damn the DAC.

It will however be harder to get recommendations for matching, since not that many here own the unit. I do believe Patu owns the DAC, maybe he could be of some help. Aside from that the Polish audio forums might have more information, since it seems to be well liked currently among that community.

I'm not familiar with any of the cans/iems you've mentioned. However if the DAC's sound is a bit warm, try pairing it with colder/leaner cans/iems to avoid having too much warmth. Maybe something with speed, to possibly help with the tightness.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care who designed it or produced...
I've just bought it from our local polish distributor and have some problems with my Westone UM2. With my AKG it sounds very good but this headphones is open type so I cannot use it during night listenings.
I thought that sb. will help me :frowning2:

I use mine with Shure SE530s. It sounds very good through them.

Yes, it was a serious disappointment how psychotic it turned out the designer of this product is. But that is no reason to not give credit where it is due. Frankly it would be robbing people of a good product at a price that makes it one of the best values I've partaken of in audio.

For my needs it was the right amount of money for everything it does: DAC, Preamp, headphone amp. There is nothing in the market that for $250 does all 3 of those things so well for so little money.

I enjoy mine and wouldn't want to deprive anyone else of it if they choose to try one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back