Tritton XB100? any relation to NE-7M?
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mfaughn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

These are really cheap and clearly have the same housing as the ne-7m. Anyone actually heard them? Newegg has the most reviews and they aren't stellar but I'm curious if anyone around here has heard them or knows about them.

BTW, I just went from ne-7m to KSC-75 a few minutes ago...the koss sq is way beyond the nuforce sq for me...but I still need some cheap decent iems.

-Michael

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Buy em and let us know what you think.

On the KSC75 vs NE-7, I wouldn't call 1 better than the other in general. Specific genre's each are better IMO, and also different environments will make them stronger or weaker.

To me the KSC75 has a weird treble hump (haven't put too many listening hours on it though), and the NE-7 is much more laid back (recessed mids), but has bass!

I would say I prefer the KSCs with classical/acoustic (such as Ray LaMontagne), whereas the NE-7s are better for electronic, which I listen to a lot.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 6
yea, i might just get 'em and see. $15 ain't much but I'm a student w/ a kid and if someone says "nah, they're junk" I'll skip 'em.

re: phone preferences...that's why I said "...for me." I know we all have different ears. I agree that the 75s have a treble hump and some other shortcomings too but the ne-7ms have more problems *for my ears* (if anyone wants me to expound on this just ask...there are already a lot of opinions out there).

Cheers,

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 6
yeah they prolly come from the same OEM housing manufacturer as the Nuforce NE-7M and Sound Magic PL-30. Driver could be different though. Let us know how it sounds once you get them.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, i might just get 'em and see. $15 ain't much but I'm a student w/ a kid and if someone says "nah, they're junk" I'll skip 'em.

re: phone preferences...that's why I said "...for me." I know we all have different ears. I agree that the 75s have a treble hump and some other shortcomings too but the ne-7ms have more problems *for my ears* (if anyone wants me to expound on this just ask...there are already a lot of opinions out there).

Cheers,

I hear ya, and I would buy them, but I have absolutely no need, they would sit around if comparable to the NE-7s or any worse.

Just had to run another comparison of KSC vs NE-7 with Northern Kings and Nightwish from my Fuze -> E5 -> HP. Bass boost for the KSCs: Northern Kings, KSC wins, Nightwish, NE-7 wins (because of bass).

Anyways, what are your problems with the NE-7s? Maybe something can be improved. Also, how much burn in? What tips are you using?

And actually, buying those IEMs would be a waste, as I can't imagine they are better than the NE-7, which you already have issues with. The money would be better spent on an E5 for your KSC75s or new tips for the NE-7s.

I see you are building a Mini3, cool, I am looking into building one of those. Why did you choose that amp?

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 6
yea, actually that makes sense. why go for something that almost certainly doesn't sound as good as another thing with which I'm not satisfied. see, you saved me $15.

i'm not thrilled with the ne-7m, might send it back as i've only had them about 10 days. i thought ba's didn't need much burn-in? or are they dynamic drivers. anyway, i find them mushy and uncontrolled in the bass, overly mid-rangey, and too rolled off in the highs. they sound veiled to me. i have (currently busted wire) q-jays and though that isn't a fair comparison it is hard to be happy giving up that much detail. i should state that it is very likely that i may have suffered some hearing loss at this point in life so that would explain a lot of my preference here. anyway, the problem is I can't really afford to keep the q-jays. the q-jays also are just not satisfying in the bass department. i used to spend a lot of time on airplanes so the q-jays made a lot of sense. i am moving towards only using iems for falling asleep, which is usually to audiobooks / spoken word / relaxation sounds, etc. as opposed to music. this is really a whole different application than listening to music. (pardon my jumbled writing. i'm really tired). but, it is with listening to music that I've been evaluating the nuforce. so, they don't have 100+ hours on them yet. they do have 10's of hours on them though. i do think they are a good phone and can understand why people are fond of them though.

the ksc's are also new and recabled with mogami 2893. they blow me away for a $13 dollar phone (+$7 for cable). I have portapros with thousands of hours on them that are trashhhhed and sound bad now(i am going to try to warranty them). the ksc-75's have decent enough lows though lower would be welcome if possible. i wouldn't mind a bit more mids. that might be acheivable by taming the highs a bit. i have been playing around putting my cupping my hands over them to try and change the sound. I am half thinking of throwing them in some old closed can shells I have and then venting the backs well to keep them fairly open. done right this might give me a touch more mids and bass. a little more foam or distance from the ear might help the highs??? I will probably let them burn in for 100 hours before I decide i need to do much with them.

and FWIW, i also have ah-d2000's. i like 'em
happy_face1.gif

i actually just tested my mini^3 for the first time yesterday. hurray, it works. that is about all i know yet. it was nearly my first surface mount work so it isn't a museum piece but it all fired up right the first time around. i chose it because it has pretty good reviews and is cheap to build. i may try and stick it in something else and sell the enclosure too. i don't have the 15V wall wart yet and can't find my battery charger and I still have to drill the end plates for the enclosure. looking forward to it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back