Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,142 of 1,725
MELE v. Olina:

Thought it would be useful to provide some input on how these two compare. While i appreciate technicals, I'm mostly interested in two things... does the IEM make my toe tap and my head bob, and are vocals natural, clear, and forward. I really don't care much about treble and "airiness" unless that region affects the harmonics of the midband.

I am listening to both MELE and Olina with supplied cable, and supplied tips (Olina w. wide bore) -- in my case the medium tip for my left ear and the large tip for my right... don't know why but my two ear canals are different size. I have also found Final E tips work just the same.

Per the graphs, the MELE is bass oriented (about 2db above HBB's ideal curve), then has a compensatory uplift in the 2k-4k region (about 2db above HBB's ideal curve) to complement the bass uplift.

The Olina, by comparison WITH THE DOUBLE NOZZLE FILTER MOD, is about 1 db below HBB's ideal curve in the bass region, making it 3db shy of the MELE below 150Hz. The Olina stock, without the double filter mod, is 3 db below HBB's ideal curve in the bass region, and 5 db below MELE's bass.

MELE:
I've had the MELE for three months now. When I apply rudimentary EQ to an IEM, it is always about creating the most realistic midrange... male voices, female voices, the acoustic guitar, violins, etc. With the MELE, and using my 10 band EQ called macEQ on my MB Air 2020, I settled on the following: 64Hz -1.7db, 125 -1.7db, 250 -1db, 500 +1db, 1k +1db, 16k +3.4db. For me, this creates a natural midrange, and the modest drop in bass energy still leaves the MELE as a bass oriented IEM. Fun. Great with most of my library.

IEM not needing EQ:
However, I was looking for an IEM that doesn't need EQ at all. For example when I listen to youtube or watch Netflix on my iPhone, I don't have EQ. When I listen to youtube, spotify, netflix or cable movies from my Samsung KS8000 tv, optical out into DAC/headphone amp, I don't have EQ.

Olina:
Now, the Olina. With the double filter mod, it doesn't need any EQ at all. As an example, I was watching a Youtube documentary: . I was listening very carefully to the commentator, as well as background music. As I say natural voices to me are the most important part of an IEM. The Olina makes the voiceover sound real.. palpable.. just right. The MELE didn't, without EQ. Without EQ the MELE makes spoken voices in movies and vids sound a little chesty, boomy. Not enough to bother, but enough to notice.

So now with the Olina I have an IEM I can use anywhere, everywhere (home, hiking, beach), in all use cases -- Spotify music, cable movies, Youtube movies, music and other vids -- including in all those cases where I don't have EQ. As a bonus, the Olina does in fact provide more detail across all bands, more treble detail, and a greater sense of air than the MELE. There is simply more there, without resorting to tricks like a presence region over emphasis. Not as much detail as Timeless, but enough to satisfy. And I feel the bass of the Olina, even with the double filter mod, is cleaner, more impactful, and more tuneful than MELE or Timeless. I returned the Timeless by the way cuz I couldn't get vocals how I wanted them with narrow or wide bore supplied tips.

Bottom line is the Olina is better than MELE in every way that matters to me, well, except Olina doesn't come in Hawai'ian Blue. And better than Timeless in every way except sheer detail. Now I will use MELE when I really am in the mood for more bass, but the Olina most of the time. I think the Olina (with double nozzle filter mod) is a natural upgrade for MELE owners... moreso than T3+, until you get to Hana 2021 which probably would be very similar (except for a more difficult fit). Or a much more V shaped like the OH10... which I think of as a twice as heavy MELE with more treble.

Seeing how good this Olina is makes me wonder about the EJ07M, the Monarch II, and the MEST II. 6-15x the cost for marginal improvements? Food for thought.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,143 of 1,725
Bottom line is the Olina is better than MELE in every way that matters to me, well, except Olina doesn't come in Hawai'ian Blue. And better than Timeless in every way except sheer detail. Now I will use MELE when I really am in the mood for more bass, but the Olina most of the time. I think the Olina (with double nozzle filter mod) is a natural upgrade for MELE owners... moreso than T3+, until you get to Hana 2021 which probably would be very similar (except for a more difficult fit). Or a much more V shaped like the OH10... which I think of as a twice as heavy MELE with more treble.

Seeing how good this Olina is makes me wonder about the EJ07M, the Monarch II, and the MEST II. 6-15x the cost for marginal improvements? Food for thought.
Def agree with this. I love you hbb, but mele is one of my least fav iems in my collection. Olina is my fav and it's not even really that close. Timeless is objectively incredible, but it's just too fatiguing with a weird tonality for me. If the timeless was $99 and olina was $220 that'd be fair to me.

Just gonna add in I love the mesh filter on the vent by the nozzle. I tried adding another filter on the nozzle as well but the magic went away. I don't want to try no vent mod and nozzle mod only. If I had a million filters I would, but the sound is just so good right now.

Gonna throw in that an edc 2021 mexico playlist is already up on apple music. The first two songs on it are just incredible with the olinas.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #1,145 of 1,725
So I tried the double mesh filter on the nozzle and it definitely make more significant changes to the sound. The treble is smoother, way less ringing on cymbals, but less airy than stock or vent mod. With the double mesh mod, it losses the magical sparkles but you gain a smooth treble with pretty good extension, a little more bass impact especially tom-toms sounds so good with this mod and less fatiguing on longer listening session. Overall it become more balance to my ears.

Love the sound of the drum in this video.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #1,148 of 1,725
my take on olina vs s12. both are detailed analytical on the bright side. both have a reasonable amount of bass stock but s12 bass is more in quantity faster and more textured and can be boosted to crazy amounts without bledding on the mids, if you boost bass on olina it gets boomy and bleeds everywhere so if you are a bass head go for s12 + bass boost you won't regret it. the difference is immediately noticeable in the mids, they are recessed on s12 ans they are very much in your face on olina and gets shouty as soon as you raise volume (double filter mod helps but don't get rid of this problem). separation and layering are better on s12, you are going to hear things for the first time on your favorite songs but this emphasis on details can be a bit artificial so olina takes the crown for better timbre and more natural sound on acoustic instrument and voices. s12 is border sibilant but olina is never sibilant. for my ear fit is better on s12 but olina is still ok but you have to do a lot of tip rolling on olina vs almost every tips are ok on s12. both looks good (bravo for perfect cable/shell color matching on olina) but s12 seems more durable as the acrylic face plate will get scratched over time. cable, tips ,box are better on s12 but with the $50 difference you can buy your preferred tips, cable and box. conclusion for movies and edm get s12, for podcasts and acoustic music get olina.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #1,149 of 1,725
Olina is no longer available in the UK :sob:

Linsoul had it up on Amazon with an April delivery date, but it"s now been removed.

Feeling a bit left out over here...
Why not just order from Linsoul direct? Never had any issues with any of my orders through them - and depending on what they make available on Amazon can be quicker as well.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,151 of 1,725
my take on olina vs s12. the difference is immediately noticeable in the mids, they are recessed on s12 ans they are very much in your face on olina and gets shouty as soon as you raise volume (double filter mod helps but don't get rid of this problem).
yeah, the recessed mids are the reason I couldn't get on with the Timeless, which supposedly has better mids than S12, so S12 must really suck in the midband.... sounds like S12 would be exciting, and flashy for about 30 minutes, then fatiguing.

btw, with double nozzle filters I don't get any shoutiness at all on Olina ... smooth as butter from Normandy and with great texture.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,153 of 1,725
yeah, the recessed mids are the reason I couldn't get on with the Timeless, which supposedly has better mids than S12, so S12 must really suck in the midband.... sounds like S12 would be exciting, and flashy for about 30 minutes, then fatiguing.

btw, with double nozzle filters I don't get any shoutiness at all on Olina ... smooth as butter from Normandy and with great texture.
s12 mids are good, s12 mids are more relaxed than olina ( even with double filter mod)

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #1,154 of 1,725

I don't find the mids particularly recessed on my S12, and textures and resonance of the bass are A1. I've got the Olina coming because nearly everybody loves it's timbre and I want an IEM for vocally focused music. Looking forward to the Olina.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,155 of 1,725
I don't find the mids particularly recessed on my S12, and textures and resonance of the bass are A1. I've got the Olina coming because nearly everybody loves it's timbre and I want an IEM for vocally focused music. Looking forward to the Olina.
i don't know i did and a/b with the olina and s12 and i liked the S12 better. U could hear every hit of the drums and hi hat hit clearly, clarity was fantastic to me. Then the olinas were like meh now lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back