Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Sep 2, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #256 of 1,725
Here are answers to some criticisms I've already gotten or expect to get:

You can't compare the Mele to an EQ'd IEM!

Why not? That's an assertion without constructivism. Just plain not helpful. Did you mean to say I can't compare them because you don't know how or like to use EQ? At any rate, perhaps this will help you better formulate a more worthwhile opinion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_(philosophy_of_mathematics)

You must have gotten a broken Mele!

That's a strong claim where, unfortunately, the burden of proof lies on you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)

Well this whole thing is pointless because the QC for the GK10 is bad (ironically said by the same people who claim I must have gotten a broken Mele)

This doesn't compare anything other than the sound quality of the two IEMs. Yes, if I were purchasing one of these two IEMs I would choose to factor in the QC, comfort, durability and such. That said, I don't recommend anyone purchase either of these IEMs since, judging by the way things are going there will be much better IEMs for the same price soon enough.

Whether this made your blood boil or you enjoyed it or were apathetic to it, thanks for reading! :relaxed:

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #257 of 1,725
Alright since no one liked my comparison against the Moondrop B2 Dusk since apparently you're not supposed to compare IEMs from different price ranges. Even though these are the most popular IEMs that have been tuned by influencers so I figured, for tuning-sake, people might like to know the differences. But anyhow, I present the comparison some people don't want to see. The $50 IEM versus:

Geek Wold GK10 Vs. Tripowin Mele

-----------------------------------

First thing's first, I'm EQ'ing the GK10 with these 3 dead simple filters. I know, but please, hold your criticism! There will be time for that at the end!

Peak, 300 Hz, -4.0 Gain, Q = 0.7
Peak, 150 Hz, -4.0 Gain, Q = 0.7
Low Shelf, 20 Hz, 5.0 Gain, (Q = 0.7)

For listening, I am running both using their stock cables which are unbalanced through the Qudelix. I am using Azla Crystal eartips on both.

Here's the frequency response comparison:

Let's check out a couple songs to test out the frequency response to see if there are any glaring issues.

Blade Runner 2049 OST - Wallace for sub-bass (starts at 1:07)

GK10: there's some rumble but there should be more.

Mele: there's a bit more rumble than the GK10 but there should be more.

Paganini Kreisler - La Campanella for treble (starts at 0:47)

GK10: just teetering on the edge of harsh. Perfect.

Mele: OW my ears. Too piercing. Something is definitely wrong in the tuning of the treble here.

So the GK10 is the better set here since there are no glaring issues in the lower and upper ends of the spectrum.

Next, let's check out soundstage and imaging.

TOOL - Chocolate Chip Trip

Mele: soundstage is very narrow which makes imaging suffer.

GK10: soundstage is wide which makes imaging stand out more. That said, imaging is good but could be better for the soundstage.

The GK10 is the better set here by a lot.

That's enough for obvious technicalities. Next up we have actual music (with timestamps)

Electronic:

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger

Mele: sounds ok if not a bit "mushy". Horns sound too forward (1:14)

GK10: can hear more details making it easier to differentiate the snapping/clapping and in the singer's lips smacking (0:20)

Dance with the Dead - Andromeda

Mele: sounds ok if not a bit boring.

GK10: drum impact is great. The details and separation really stand out at (3:30)

Carpenter Brut - Turbo Killer

Mele: I'm getting more rumble which this song really benefits from but it's at the cost of everything else. Especially at the song's climax at (3:02) I'm having a hard time distinguishing the backup synth.

GK10: aside from more details the bass has more impact and body which this song also really benefits from.

For electronic music, I prefer the GK10.

Classical:

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto 3, Part 3 (Finale) - Ashkenazy, London Symphony Orchestra

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64 (Act 1) - The Cleveland Orchestra

Scriabin - The Poem of Fire, Op. 60 - Valery Gergiev

Grouped all together and no timestamps because thoughts are the same throughout.

Mele: just lacks way too much detail in the mids and treble. Bass is fine.

GK10: still lacks detail in the mids and treble but still much more transparent than the Mele

For classical music, I much prefer the GK10.

Theatrical:

Hanz Zimmer - Time (Inception)

Mele: can't make out the backing strings at (1:17). Just plain lacks detail and separation.

GK10: lacks detail as the climax starts at (2:30)

Tom Holkenborg - At the speed of force (Snyder's Justice League)

Mele: instruments blend together at the climax at (3:00)

GK10: sounds good. Drum impact really stands out at the aforementioned climax.

For theatrical themes, I much prefer the GK10.

Conclusion:

I was going to include other genres such as my current most listened which is Melodic/Technical Death Metal but, honestly, there's just not much more that can be said through further comparison. The GK10 is in a class above the Mele, quite frankly. The Mele handles bass well but the problem is the bass is the GK10's strong suite so when listening to them back-to-back the Mele just doesn't sound like it's audiophile grade. It reminds me of some Samsung Galaxy Buds I used to own. Now, I'm sure they sound better than that and of course this is purely going off memory but going from the Mele to the GK10 reminds me of going from those same Samsung Buds to the Moondrop B2 Dusk way back in the day when I got those-my first audiophile IEM.

Thanks for the comparition, will add to first page!

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #258 of 1,725

This is his target audience.
Oh hey I have a downhill bike, so I may qualify😂
1630606566620.jpeg

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #259 of 1,725
Alright since no one liked my comparison against the Moondrop B2 Dusk since apparently you're not supposed to compare IEMs from different price ranges. Even though these are the most popular IEMs that have been tuned by influencers so I figured, for tuning-sake, people might like to know the differences. But anyhow, I present the comparison some people don't want to see. The $50 IEM versus:

First thing's first, I'm EQ'ing the GK10 with these 3 dead simple filters. I know, but please, hold your criticism! There will be time for that at the end!

For listening, I am running both using their stock cables which are unbalanced through the Qudelix. I am using Azla Crystal eartips on both.

gk10vmele.png

Let's check out a couple songs to test out the frequency response to see if there are any glaring issues.

Mele: OW my ears. Too piercing. Something is definitely wrong in the tuning of the treble here.

So the GK10 is the better set here since there are no glaring issues in the lower and upper ends of the spectrum.

GK10: soundstage is wide which makes imaging stand out more. That said, imaging is good but could be better for the soundstage.

That's enough for obvious technicalities. Next up we have actual music (with timestamps)

Electronic:

GK10: can hear more details making it easier to differentiate the snapping/clapping and in the singer's lips smacking (0:20)

GK10: drum impact is great. The details and separation really stand out at (3:30)

Mele: I'm getting more rumble which this song really benefits from but it's at the cost of everything else. Especially at the song's climax at (3:02) I'm having a hard time distinguishing the backup synth.

GK10: aside from more details the bass has more impact and body which this song also really benefits from.

Classical:

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto 3, Part 3 (Finale) - Ashkenazy, London Symphony Orchestra

Grouped all together and no timestamps because thoughts are the same throughout.

GK10: still lacks detail in the mids and treble but still much more transparent than the Mele

Theatrical:

Mele: can't make out the backing strings at (1:17). Just plain lacks detail and separation.

Conclusion:

I was going to include other genres such as my current most listened which is Melodic/Technical Death Metal but, honestly, there's just not much more that can be said through further comparison. The GK10 is in a class above the Mele, quite frankly. The Mele handles bass well but the problem is the bass is the GK10's strong suite so when listening to them back-to-back the Mele just doesn't sound like it's audiophile grade. It reminds me of some Samsung Galaxy Buds I used to own. Now, I'm sure they sound better than that and of course this is purely going off memory but going from the Mele to the GK10 reminds me of going from those same Samsung Buds to the Moondrop B2 Dusk way back in the day when I got those-my first audiophile IEM.

Thanks for the observations…. Oooof… I may regret my purchase of the Mele, but we’ll see!

In terms of what one is “not supposed” to compare something against, I don’t think anyone would be against a comparison, just against the idea of judging a product against something well out of its tier…. Sort of like judging a middle school football team versus a professional team…. If the middle school team is exceptionally good they may be compared against some high school teams, but it would not be enlightening to compare them against a professional team. But there is hardly any harm in you comparing what you want regardless of the opinions of the rest of us - if others do not agree with you making the comparison just have thicker skin.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #261 of 1,725
Thanks for the observations…. Oooof… I may regret my purchase of the Mele, but we’ll see!

In terms of what one is “not supposed” to compare something against, I don’t think anyone would be against a comparison, just against the idea of judging a product against something well out of its tier…. Sort of like judging a middle school football team versus a professional team…. If the middle school team is exceptionally good they may be compared against some high school teams, but it would not be enlightening to compare them against a professional team. But there is hardly any harm in you comparing what you want regardless of the opinions of the rest of us - if others do not agree with you making the comparison just have thicker skin.

Is comparition was very valid, same price bracket and well strutured. I love to see opinions, either good or bad. If every thread was just people praising their own purchases, this will be a big clown fiesta.

I own GK10 and I avoided the comparition since I don't like it and I don't like drama.

I doubt people that love GK10 will be the same that love Mele, and vice versa.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #263 of 1,725

gk10vmele.png

Electronic:

Classical:

Theatrical:

Conclusion:

Now that's the kind of post that enrich any thread. Extremely well-structured and well construed as well. I'll have to check some of those tracks myself, as I just got something for review that is rivalling my Aladdin!

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #265 of 1,725
Is comparition was very valid, same price bracket and well strutured. I love to see opinions, either good or bad. If every thread was just people praising their own purchases, this will be a big clown fiesta.

I own GK10 and I avoided the comparition since I don't like it and I don't like drama.

I doubt people that love GK10 will be the same that love Mele, and vice versa.
I was just pointing out why @darkgod5 compare of the Mele versus the Dusk might be unrealistic. I know many have tried to point it out but I wanted to try a different approach. In any event, people need to have thicker skins and accept that not everyone will agree with everything.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #266 of 1,725
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Certainly restores my opinion of this community. :relaxed:

@WibuSquire and @jsmiller58 :

Certainly don't base your purchase or non-purchase solely on my opinion. I am just one guy. And as much as I like to think to myself I can hear stuff good you don't know that since you don't know me or my background. I would temper expectations and look to many more opinions.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #267 of 1,725
Wonder how much better are the Hana 2021 and Oxygen vs the Mele in technical performance? BGGAR did say the
Meh, New does not always mean better. I've seen it way too many times in this hobby, especially with IEM's.

New CAN mean better, but not always. If there's a well known set that is highly praised and has a sound signature you like, there's nothing wrong with getting an "old" model.

Good point but given that both DUNU and Moondrop are releasing new products is not exactly meh

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #268 of 1,725
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Certainly restores my opinion of this community. :relaxed:

@WibuSquire and @jsmiller58 :

Certainly don't base your purchase or non-purchase solely on my opinion. I am just one guy. And as much as I like to think to myself I can hear stuff good you don't know that since you don't know me or my background. I would temper expectations and look to many more opinions.
You know, this reminds me of a fundamental truth in this hobby…. The most important part of any audio chain is the brain between the ears, as our likes and dislikes, experiences, and expectations are far more important than anything else.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #269 of 1,725
Wonder how much better are the Hana 2021 and Oxygen vs the Mele in technical performance?

HBB states that hana2 and Mele are dead close, but oxygen is superior. My buddy Resolution seems to agree has well. Certainly Mele made me want O2. Timbre and coherency of a single DD are hard to beat!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #270 of 1,725
Im going to agree I just a/b tested Hana 2.0 with O2 for awhile. I think Tanchjim knew what they were doing on the pricing. O2 wins in 3D factor, overall technicalities, mids AND I prefer its bass as it is better textured. As you would expect for an extra $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back