TripleFi.10s didn't do it for me, going cheaper
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got in on the Amazon deal for the UE TripleFi.10s a couple weeks ago and only just found the chance to try them out today. Overall I have to say they are very unimpressive. Some things I noticed..

- Mid range is decent
- Comfortable enough
- Bass is muddy and bloated
- Separation is amazing. I can definitely hear instruments in the background that I've never noticed before.
- Soundstage is very good, especially horizontal.
- Balance seemed a little off, everything sounded like it was coming from slightly behind and to the left.

If I had to sum up my impression of the TF10s' SQ, I'd say it sounds "stale".

My impressions were exactly like yours. Yes, its possible for the bass to be muddy and bloated-sounding while still being detailed everywhere else. My problem was the huge coloration the lower-mids/high bass. One of my test tracks is Eric Clapton's live Walkin' Blues, where on most of my headphones his tapping on the floor is accurate. Its a nice thump. Not so on the TF10, it sounds like a "thwack." Eww. Another is a classical track where the bass drum can be heard under a cymbal crash at normal volumes. Not with the TF10s. It almost sounds like a high tom-tom hit. It happens with every tip I've tried. Even the UM3x does this a bit better. I just couldn't get into the sound.

I've posted it before, I went with the PFEs and haven't really found anything like it.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My TF10's are nice when driven out of my little iPod Shuffle, but when I run them from my home rig, they are spectacular. If it were possible to get half of the sonic benefits of my home rig in a portable amp I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't want to waste money trying portable amps, only to be let down. I'm looking at the Ibasso T3D. From all reports it's a damn fine amp that compares well with much pricier amps.

cswann, why don't you just try a new source player instead of a new amp? That would make a huge difference over your shuffle, and since there will be no line out on your shuffle, you'll just be amping twice with a seperate amp - seems like a bit of a waste. Consider getting a nice portable like a Sony or a Cowon? Even I saw an improvement going from an iPhone 3G to a Sony s739. And of course there is the Sony X, which a number of people here use without an amp at all.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 27
I go the "cheap route" with mine. I bought a 4g Clip and double side taped a Fiio amp to the back of it. I even removed the clip to narrow it up a little more. It sounds better than playing the same music through my Cowon D2. I am certainly not dissapointed.

OP, you won't have any trouble selling yours, heck I'll give you $50 for 'em! As others have stated, if you don't like the TF10s, you're no going to like any IEMs.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmohut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I go the "cheap route" with mine. I bought a 4g Clip and double side taped a Fiio amp to the back of it. I even removed the clip to narrow it up a little more. It sounds better than playing the same music through my Cowon D2. I am certainly not dissapointed.

OP, you won't have any trouble selling yours, heck I'll give you $50 for 'em! As others have stated, if you don't like the TF10s, you're no going to like any IEMs.

I may be an interested buyer too, if you decide to sell... PM

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"What can I say, I'm young, impatient, and aesthetically motivated
icon10.gif
Thanks for all the input guys!"

I share two of those qualities with you. The TF10's aren't for everyone. They are for me.

x10
smily_headphones1.gif

Comparing the bass output of TF10s to other IEMs I've tried, it really isn't that overwhelming. I guess the OP would be much better off with Sennheiser IE8s or the Shure SE530s.

It really depends on your music preferences. It's really a good thing, though, that the TF10 sales over at Amazon really helped the "mass introduction" of these IEMs to the lay majority. And that can be a good sign for the overall IEM market since more and more people can now get to experience the differences among the various IEMs out in the market.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 27
I am grateful for the chance to test drive the pinnacle of IEMs on the market today, and at virtually no cost to me. To those who are interested in purchasing the TF10s off me, I've already received a couple of PMs with offers. These go fast on head-fi considering Ebay prices are still hovering around $150-160
icon10.gif
I won't be back to my residence where the TF10s are at for a few weeks though, so any interested parties would have to wait anyways.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

if you don't like the TF10s, you're no going to like any IEMs.

I don't think that's accurate to say at all. There are tons of people who dislike the TF10 sound signature and prefer other IEMs.

The TF10's aren't the paragon of what IEMs should sound like, and the only phone I think people more or less agree on is the JH13's. The TF10s are amazing at the "new" price point, don't get me wrong, but there are so many more IEMs out there to suit people's tastes.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by what /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch out they are banning people who are selling them for anything over $100 here

No worries, I'm not looking to make a profit flipping these. Perfectly happy letting another audiogeek have a go at these at the discounted price I was fortunate enough to grab them at.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #25 of 27
It's interesting... I found them to be incredibly well balanced, and indeed I don't feel like I have to EQ them at all -- and I'm a guy that LOVES EQ'ing music. It sounds flat and lifeless without it... but these things just absolutely shine even without EQ'ing. Bass is warm and accurate, there's plenty of it, the highs are fantastic and detailed, and the mids -- the only weak point here, as they're ever so slightly recessed -- are still smooth and buttery. I love these things.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveed84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting... I found them to be incredibly well balanced, and indeed I don't feel like I have to EQ them at all -- and I'm a guy that LOVES EQ'ing music. It sounds flat and lifeless without it... but these things just absolutely shine even without EQ'ing. Bass is warm and accurate, there's plenty of it, the highs are fantastic and detailed, and the mids -- the only weak point here, as they're ever so slightly recessed -- are still smooth and buttery. I love these things.

Hi Daveed84,

I am curious, since you like the triplefi so much, how do you like it over the re0? I have the re0 and love its sound signature. I was thinking wether I should get the tripelfi10 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back