TripleFi 10: Tinny buzzing at certain frequencies?
Dec 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
I got TripleFi 10 a few weeks ago with the Amazon deal but have recently noticed tinny buzzing the right earpiece. I'm guessing this is a defect of some sort and am wondering: have others have experienced it?

It usually happens on songs with deep bass. For example, "A Dark Knight" on the Hans Zimmer Dark Knight sound track has a lot. It gets annoying. I'm wondering if it is an issue of frequency allocation between the three drivers.

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 13
I also got in on the deal and haven't noticed any buzzing.  Sounds like you should exchange them. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 13
I had the same tinny feeling on the hard lows (Really lows lows). Turns out tinny. But I had it on the left. Amazon is nice about returns (if it is within 30 days which it should be) and Logitech are just as good. Except Logitech are stuck up lol. I had to turn it in. It is one of two things. defect of the driver, or moisture build up or dust/hair particle on the driver. (Thats probably 1 of 4 things huh? lol) Either way it's not worth the hassel to wait for it to dislodge or spontaneously fix itself lol. So turn it in.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Also are you using any personalized eq settings on your player? For example, ipods are famous for their distorting eq.  

I don't think its a eq problem. Usually eq doesn't distort. If this is the case it would most likely occur in both channels instead of one. (From my personal experience especially on the so called "classical" setting lol).

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I got TripleFi 10 a few weeks ago with the Amazon deal but have recently noticed tinny buzzing the right earpiece. I'm guessing this is a defect of some sort and am wondering: have others have experienced it?

It usually happens on songs with deep bass. For example, "A Dark Knight" on the Hans Zimmer Dark Knight sound track has a lot. It gets annoying. I'm wondering if it is an issue of frequency allocation between the three drivers.

hair stuck in the driver?...i know these are balanced armature phones, but it happens to grados

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 13

Oh I see didnt catch the one channel thing. Haha, yeah I thought my UE's sounded great on "acoustic" until I found a bass heavy song.
Quote:
Quote:
Also are you using any personalized eq settings on your player? For example, ipods are famous for their distorting eq.  

I don't think its a eq problem. Usually eq doesn't distort. If this is the case it would most likely occur in both channels instead of one. (From my personal experience especially on the so called "classical" setting lol).

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 13
I get this problem occasionally when I really crank isolated bass frequencies on the Triple Fis. I think the problem is that the double low drivers are a tiny bit loose, and are literally shaking themselves inside the housings, which is where the buzzing is coming from.

I'm fairly certain that it can't be good for them =P

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I get this problem occasionally when I really crank isolated bass frequencies on the Triple Fis. I think the problem is that the double low drivers are a tiny bit loose, and are literally shaking themselves inside the housings, which is where the buzzing is coming from.

i remember hearing something way  back when of drivers getting shaken loose by the bass...either way, if your phones are still under warranty, i'd see into getting them replaced

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

From what I've read sometimes could short the driver if it becomes loose enough. which is also not good lol. Might want to get those fixed while under warranty.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

hair stuck in the driver?...i know these are balanced armature phones, but it happens to grados

I did have that issue with my Grado SR-225i but that was easily fixed by blowing on it. I've tried blowing, tapping, and gentle shaking with my TripleFi 10 but the buzz is still there.

Regarding sources, I've noticed it on my iPod and two computers, and on multiple songs, but only at certain frequencies. Some songs do not have any issue.

I'm guessing one earpiece is defective but wanted to check and see if there were a fix before going ahead with a replacement.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Just an update to this thread. 

I was just about to contact Logitech about a replacement when I thought I would try them again with different tips. I have been using the Comply's (only tips with a proper seal) so I switched to the sillicon tips. They fit badly and unseal almost immediately but I didn't notice the buzzing. I switched back and now it's not there with the Comply's. All good I guess =D

I'm surprised because I was pretty convinced it was a defect. I had removed the tips, blown into it, tapped it, etc., all to no avail. Hopefully it won't come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back