TripleFi 10 + Extra Driver = Better Than Any Universal?
Jun 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
I will rehsell my TF10 with UM soon (I have my impressions now, but I'm undecided on adding an extra driver with 3 way crossover.
Doing so will push the cost up from $160 to around $300 I think.

I've read bits and pieces here and there, mostly very positive, but not very detailed. One comment referred to it as near UM11, which sound good.

So, what are the benefits and is it worth the extra cost?
What improvements did you hear?

(This is the only reason I haven't sent my impressions to UM yet)

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 22
I was thinking about doing the same, but $275 to reshell + 1 more drive is quite a bit.... I'm more inclined to go with fisher for 80 reshelled and stick with the 3 in the triplefi

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
You're forgetting postage, dizzyraider.

And I will be using UM.

Without extra driver it's just under $160 for me.

It makes sense, since you will be shipping from UK. My guess is neither is cheap for you. I think with postage from California to Fisher won't be more than 90 for me. The general consensus is that UM does a better job. So since you won't save much by going with Fisher, UM would probably be the better choice for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds smart to me - if you have to reshell at all.

Fisher would be around $50 less for me compared to UM and it would also be much faster (the biggest factor for me). I like the way my Triple.Fi sounds, but I have already gone through the foams. I don't want to keep on shelling out $15 for the foams plus it would be nice not having to worry about them slipping out when I'm on the move.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 22
For me, instead of the extra driver I instead spent the difference on a Lune sliver cable. But of course, from what I have read, people who have added the extra driver seems to like the result. (I say go for it, you can always decide to get them recabled later)

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 22
I am in no position to give you solid advice since I only have a stock TF10 right now, but here are my thoughts on reshelling.

While there are certainly positive reviews around, it's hard to ignore the negative ones. If you've gone through the UM thread you would know that even people who went for the 6 drivers option/TF18 had unpleasant experiences or less than desired results. When you say "Better Than Any Universal", I can tell you're really keeping your hopes very high - and the greater your hopes are, the easier for you to be disappointed. Besides, UE uses proprietary drivers which mean only they would know what shape of the housing/sound tube and drivers position etc would give best sonic results. If I wanted customs, I would personally be looking at JH/UE.

Do you really have a big problem with the TF10's fit? With the amount of money you are spending on remolding, you can actually get another decent yet comfortable IEM.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 22
I do have a problem with the fit - I can get a good seal and great sound but I have to remove them regularlry (every 30 minutes-hour) because they're so big.

As for better than any universal, TF10 is already up there and would be even higher up if not or the fit. So why not, if the extra driver addresses the main criticism (recessed vocals).

I'm no bass head and will be listening to a lot of classical music - much of which will be vocal. I know that maybe the TF10 isn't ideal, but it's what I have.

For me, it's either $159 (including shipping back to UK) for a straight reshell, or $274 for reshell with one extra driver.

The is very weak pound is weak right now, so the cost of an extra driver is £83.

Is it worth it? Still not sure - I want this to be my only IEM though...

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 22
I do not understand how a third party brand could just chime in the design of a complex multi-driver IEM, with a crossover and just add one or two drivers, thus enhancing sound quality, as simply as that!
I think there is complex engeneering going on, as well as development and research, and I doubt sound quality can be enhanced by simply adding a driver to the system.
All manufacturers use the same drivers, and the secret about sound quality and sound signature lies within the alchemy between the filters, the drivers and the crossover system...

If I were you, I would go for the simple reshell...
Just my two cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back