Triple X at UE a hit!
Oct 5, 2006 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

BigJezzy

New Head-Fier
I just wanted to say that the new product at Ultimate ears kick much ASS!!!!!
I was there today and listened to the triple X. The bass is astounding. I'm a new Head-fi clonie and I had to say something about it. I'm sure there will be others with specks and so forth but for sure pleasure they are great!

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Any comparisons with other IEMs?

Yes, especially the Shure E500.

I wish I could have attended the UE visit. I can't wait to hear them myself.

etysmile.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 31
Got home a short while ago... Thanks again to the kind folks at UE for opening their doors and everything else. I had a great time. I'll post a bit more detailed impressions shortly, but what comes to mind is that it had a full sound presentation with bass. I really didn't get enough time with them though.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 31
A huge thanks to the folks at UE for hosting this little get together. The triple.fi 10pro is a fantastic IEM and it responds excetionally well to EQ. It has a lot more low end than the UE-10 but with a little EQ, it sounds just like the UE-10. All in all I think that UE has a killer product here.

While they look big and bulky - I found the fit to be rather comfortable. The sound is fantastic but hey - It's UE!!

For all those people who wanted a UE10 but couldn't afford it - HERE IS YOUR CHANCE!!!!

The big surprise is the metro.fi. It looks like a mini hair dryer but sure DOES NOT BLOW!!! This little IEM kicks some major @ss!!! I personally think it sounds much better than the Shure E3 but YMMV. At under $100.00, the metro.fi takes the cake when it comes to sound quality bargains!

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 31
Like so many decisions in audio, the Tri-Fi 10 will be a matter of taste/personal preference. As with the Super-fi 5's, I found the size of these earphones made part of my ear cartiledge a bit sore after half an hour or so of listening. Likewise, the actual part in the ear canal is very comfortable, as it doesn't go very deep, and is very soft. Folks with more normal shaped ears would likely not have the problem I had with outer comfort. It was no worse than the rubbing of the somewhat rough Shure E5 in the regard of discomfort (i.e. bearable, but mildly irritating). They do seem quite a bit better put together than the SF5's, with a smoother finish and much more impressive overall look.

Soundwise, they were certainly very detailed, I'd have to hear the E500 back-to-back to determine a winner in that department. The balance was a bit more to the bass and treble, whereas the E500 has a more prominent midrange. Overall, this gave the TF10P a sound that would likely please the fans of Grados or other more upfront headphones, as it presents the music as a very physical and in-your-face experience (closer-in, more intimate soundstage). Electric guitars have a similar "excited" sound to what John Grado cans produce, which can make them a bit dominant, depending on the mixing of a particular track/album. Extension of both the highs and lows was very good. I was surprised by how much the bass impact was improved by listening amped vs. unamped (iHP-120), though this player has hardly the best amp for low impedance cans.

The new Metro-fi 2 earphone is really a blast to listen to, while hardly the most accurate piece. It certainly has a deep and prominent bass that is fun without being overbearing. The upper-midrange is a bit forward which can make them sound slightly harsh, but nothing that is too offensive. The frequency balance definitely sounds a little off for listening to symphonic music, but for music I'd listen to on the go, like trance or rock, it's much less of an issue. The extra bass, if anything, will likely help cut through remaining ambient noise (while not muddy-ing up the sound).The smaller housing makes them more comfortable to me than the other UE IEM's, and I think they look a bit nicer to boot. Certainly an awesome product for the price, it absolutely cleans the floor with the Shure E2, which sounds very dull and veiled by comparison.

Thanks to UE for the experience and chance to check out their new gear!

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 31
Were you guys able to get a definitely ship date for the Triple Fi's? Just curious...this thread is making me very anxious to say the least...

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 31
I had some time to compare the Triples with my UE-10's. The Fi's did have more bass, but it was well controlled. While I prefer the more accurate, polite bass of my 10's, I can see why UE went this way with the Triples. Both were very accurate with the mids and highs, and though we didn't have E500's to compare, I've heard them before, and I think it's close to a toss-up. All in all, the Triples are a VERY tempting choice for those that don't want to pony up for customs.

The Metro-Fi was a big suprise, and at the price, may become a defacto replacement for iBuds. As mentioned, mids are forward, and tended toward a bit of harshness, but THE BASS! Not exactly what I'd call a refined piece of gear, but a bunch of DAP users listening at 128k are going to love these.

EDIT: The highs on the Metro-Fi's, while extending far beyond Shure E2/E3's, are a bit thin and sibilant. Again, not a major issue on an $80 pair of IEM's designed for the iPod crowd, just something I wanted to bring up...

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
I had some time to compare the Triples with my UE-10's. The Fi's did have more bass, but it was well controlled. While I prefer the more accurate, polite bass of my 10's, I can see why UE went this way with the Triples. Both were very accurate with the mids and highs, and though we didn't have E500's to compare, I've heard them before, and I think it's close to a toss-up. All in all, the Triples are a VERY tempting choice for those that don't want to pony up for customs.

So would you say the Triple Fi's have as accurate an upper mid-range and treble with your UE10Ps? That would be very impressive for a universal.

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

So would you say the Triple Fi's have as accurate an upper mid-range and treble with your UE10Ps? That would be very impressive for a universal.

IMO, the UE-10s had a slight edge in those departments, but then again, I have some issues getting a perfect seal with universals, so take that with a big grain of salt.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 31
I'd like to say a big thank you to Ultimate Ears for having us over for their newest product launches!!! You guys are awesome! In particular, I'd like to thank Kelly Duke, Med Dyer, Paul Manfrini, Mike Dias, and Mindy Harvey for all of their hospitality.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 31
That's funny that she sent that last pic. I think I had the triple fi's in my ears when she took that. At least during my first listen to it. Then in the second pic I think i had them again right before she had to leave and i was listening to "I Got A Feeling" from the Beck soundtrack. *shrugs*

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 31
I really have to thank UE for having us there, showing a lot of hospitality and care to people in the hobby, also for giving us a sneak peak at their new products. Well I guess I gotta thank them for emptying my wallet some more. Ya, thanks a lot for that.
evil_smiley.gif

And thanks to Jasper994 for the heads up. Honestly, I almost ditched going because I choose to go to lunch with all the girls, so I basically spent something like 3 and half hours away from work. What a bad employee.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Were you guys able to get a definitely ship date for the Triple Fi's? Just curious...this thread is making me very anxious to say the least...

They said some are coming to them at the end of Oct for the pre-orders. So they mentioned about 5 weeks time, don't know how long it would take for you guys to get it into your hands.

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1
I really have to thank UE for having us there, showing a lot of hospitality and care to people in the hobby, also for giving us a sneak peak at their new products. Well I guess I gotta thank them for emptying my wallet some more. Ya, thanks a lot for that.
evil_smiley.gif

And thanks to Jasper994 for the heads up. Honestly, I almost ditched going because I choose to go to lunch with all the girls, so I basically spent something like 3 and half hours away from work. What a bad employee.
eek.gif

They said some are coming to them at the end of Oct for the pre-orders. So they mentioned about 5 weeks time, don't know how long it would take for you guys to get it into your hands.

I'm on the pre-orders!!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back