Triple Flange tip fit problem
Sep 4, 2012 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darkinners

Head-Fier
I've been using Triple flanges tip on my Westone 4 for almost 2 months, just because it sounded the best with the Westone 4.
This is the first time I use Triple Flange for long use(3-6 hours a day).

At first they were raping my ear canal, made my ear canal incredibly itchy but after 3 or 4 days,
I used to them, now they feel very comfortable and sounded the best and great isolation.

One problem though, after 2 weeks or so of use, the flange's shape gone weird.

see, the flange folded, they are the stock triple flanges came with W4. 
I am wondering if this is normal? Or that means my canal not fit with Triple flange? (this would suck, I really love the SQ and isolation on these)

I did cut out the tip like below "A" 2nd cut position to fit m ears better.

any experience user can tell me what to do to avoid this? Thanks

maybe I can use other brand's triple flange , cut other position? or I simply not suitable to use Triple Flange? 
Thanks a lot for the help.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 7
 Try these triple flanges, since they dont have a stem, it doesnt need any cutting work, I am not sure if it fits on W4, but you can give a try. These are my favorite tips for isolation and SQ, and are cheap too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-Eartips-for-Sports-Fi-S6-M6-M6P-A161P-A151-earphones-Clear-/140821138554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20c9980c7a

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 7
MEElectronics tips don't fit.  They're too big.

After heavy use, silicone tips will sometimes conform to the shape of your ears.  Don't worry as long as they're comfortable and sound good.

Etymotic makes smaller, frosted tips.  Futuresonics, Klipsch and Shure also make tips that fit Westones.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 7
You may want to make a switch to some Comply Foam P-Series Tips.

They are longer then the regular Comply Foam tips and give great isolation and comforft.

Jim

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
 Try these triple flanges, since they dont have a stem, it doesnt need any cutting work, I am not sure if it fits on W4, but you can give a try. These are my favorite tips for isolation and SQ, and are cheap too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-Eartips-for-Sports-Fi-S6-M6-M6P-A161P-A151-earphones-Clear-/140821138554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20c9980c7a

Thanks man I will take a look at those :D

Quote:
MEElectronics tips don't fit.  They're too big.

After heavy use, silicone tips will sometimes conform to the shape of your ears.  Don't worry as long as they're comfortable and sound good.

Etymotic makes smaller, frosted tips.  Futuresonics, Klipsch and Shure also make tips that fit Westones.

So the tip shape changing is normal ? That's good so I don't need to worry about them, they are very comfortable and sound very good now.

Quote:
You may want to make a switch to some Comply Foam P-Series Tips.
They are longer then the regular Comply Foam tips and give great isolation and comforft.
Jim

I used to use Shure Olive/ Comply foam but since I found out Triple Flange literally eliminate all the annoying high-mid peaks in W4, can never go back to foams again :frowning2: Sound quality wise.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm also using modified triple flange tips with W3, and yeah, they are quite deformed already, but until they are still comfortable i don't care :)
I just bought more of them from ebay and gonna use new as soon as old will stop to provide good fit and isolation
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Triple-flange-Ear-tip-SHURE-SE530-PTH-Westone-UM1-UM2-/190489185434

Funny thing is that other pair of triple flanges i use with W1 while jogging and working out are as good as new. Maybe it has something to do with size and weight of iems themselves, W1 are much lighter and smaller than W3

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 7
so, the triple flanges that came with my 535's were great, and took a very long time to get soft and deformed.  I wouldn't mind the deformation except it kills the "plug" effect and hurts the sound eventually.  However, the Shure replacement tips I've bought have deformed within weeks.  Seems like there are bad tips out there in the replacements.  Anyone else have this issue?  They just get way too soft way too fast.

P.S. these are the ones pictured above.  They barely last 3 weeks.  Maybe my ears are just super hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back