Triple-flange sleeves & discomfort
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

MichaelOH

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

Received some monster triple-flange tips for my UE triple.fi today.

My question is...is it normal to feel some amount of discomfort with these? Am I going to do some damage to my ear drum, since they insert (or seem to) much further into the ear canal?

Pardon my neurosis, and lack of knowledge!

Thanks,

Michael

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 29
you will not damage your ear drums and you will get used to how deep they go in ,they make your ear drums itch abit at first but once you get used to them you sould not even notice there in your ears. They are much softer than shure triple flanges.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 29
i agree with luco. it takes a while to get used to. i also felt some discomfort and my ears started to itch which was kinda annoying. so i kept switching back and forth between the triples and the other eartips and ended up using the triple flanges. the SQ with them is just so much better. i'm still getting used to it though. at least it stopped itching
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 29
when i had the shure iem's the only tip that fit to my ears was the triple flange, but the problem is that it sounded the worst from them all,don't know exactly why...because it gave me the best seal so it should sound best but it didn't for some reason so i didn't use it.
yes,it is very uncomfortable...but with me i have no problem suffering a little if it sounds good, in the case if the triple it was a pure 100% suffering.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 29
I'll echo those comments (of lucozade). I use the Shure triple flanges and they were indeed a bit uncomfortable initially, but my ear canal toughened up and I can now wear them for hours w/o problems. I find they have have the best sound of the available tips from Shure (for SE530s). Also, your ear canal is much deeper than you realize and you cannot insert the tri-flanges in far enough to touch/damage your eardrum. Inserting them can invoke a slight cough reflex, but even that stops after you get used to them.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 29
They are also very good at making your foot steps sound like giant foot steps in your head, like Gulliver in Lilliput
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are also very good at making your foot steps sound like giant foot steps in your head, like Gulliver in Lilliput
biggrin.gif

that is a microphonic cable daeo not the tips
atsmile.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelOH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha...actually, I find the microphonics of the UE cable have been seriously cut down with these tips...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is a microphonic cable daeo not the tips
atsmile.gif

Guys, this is not the microphonics, but the better seal with the tri-flange. I have some tri-flange earplugs, and get the same thing without cables.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 29
yes DaeO is correct. being able to hear yourself breathe and hearing your own footsteps much louder is an effect of the seal, not microphonics. the sound waves reverberate much longer in your head since it is now sealed up. it's similar to putting your fingers in your ear, you get that weird atmospheric sound going on.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 29
Well the UE cable is quite microphonic so it doesn't help any. The footstep however is what you get with any iem.

To the OP: triple flanges is just something you get used to. It may take a bit of time but nothing damaging to your ears.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the UE cable is quite microphonic so it doesn't help any. The footstep however is what you get with any iem.

To the OP: triple flanges is just something you get used to. It may take a bit of time but nothing damaging to your ears.

i dont find the ue cable to be eny more microphonic than other cables and the only iem i get the footstep problem with is the custom 3 regardless of what tips i have on them
popcorn.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 29
I've always had an isolation/comfort tradeoff with triple-flanges. Shure triples not only make the Klipsch Custom series wearable, but makes them sound wonderful as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back