Triple.Fi or ATH-ESW9? (SQ)
Apr 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FlavioWolff

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!
I'm looking for the best headphones around $300, and I was almost convinced to purchase the UE Triple.Fi IEM, but I'm also considering full-sized cans because I dont need much portability... So, what goes on here is only sound quality.
Which one performs better? Triple.Fi or ATH-ESW9? I'm going unamped, and i'll use a x-fi xtrememusic soundcard and an 5.5gen ipod as sources.

BTW, why is ESW9 considered PORTABLE?

and, feel welcome to suggest any cans on that price ranged... that goes unamped of course
cool.gif

thanks

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 13
To answer your last question, it is considered portable because it really is tiny (at least to my mind) much smaller that the HD25-1. However isolation is not very good so it is not a phone to use on trains/planes etc.

As for sound compared to a Tripple.fi I agree with the stament made by antonyfirst that the ESW9 is a grown up Tripple.fi. I do however have issues with the ESW9 that I didn't have with the Tripple.fi and that is that the top end can generate a hard/edgy sound when pressed either by volume or by complexity of the music. However the degree of this problem seems to depend on the amp being used.

As to using them unamped I can't comment as I always use amps.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 13
Just to expand on portability, the small size means you don't look like a geek wearing them in public. I saw a guy on the train last night wearing AKG K171s, he looked like a geek. The ESW9s also have swiveling ear cups and AT make a very nice case for them (extra $30) so they fit easily in a backpack.

You'll need to expand on what you mean by "don't need much portability" though. Its true that the ESW9s are not the best isolators, so in really noisy environments you'd need them up real loud to block out noise. But I use mine on the train and usually they are fine, its only if there are a bunch of noisy people talking right near me that I have problems.

The ESW9s sound very nice. They are on the warm side but are very detailed so the treble is not overwhelmed by the bass. They are very smooth and lush sounding.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 13
sorry for not giving much details
Well, i dont need much portability because I'll use them in front of my PC .. can't risk $300 on the streets, not in Brazil. For portable, I'll stick with my EX90 and iPod if I don't buy a new IEM... so portable is nice, because it... CAN be portable if you need! and look better, small... but not necessary! Hope you got it.
Triple.fis will not be risky at streets, because it looks so ugly and stupid that no one will have interest.... apple's white earbuds are much more risky. :p

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Well I haven't heard the triple-fi, I use ESW9 and ER-4S. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I prefer the ER-4S but only because I prefer a more neutral presentation and the ESW9s are warmer.

So for you I think you need to decide whether you want an IEM or a portable closed headphone. SQ between the two you are considering is a similar level.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Well, i dont need much portability because I'll use them in front of my PC .. can't risk $300 on the streets, not in Brazil. For portable, I'll stick with my EX90 and iPod if I don't buy a new IEM... so portable is nice, because it... CAN be portable if you need! and look better, small... but not necessary! Hope you got it.
Triple.fis will not be risky at streets, because it looks so ugly and stupid that no one will have interest.... apple's white earbuds are much more risky. :p

so that means I could use anything, from big cans to portable cans and IEMs... isolation is a nice thing tho. and must go unamped

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I haven't heard the triple-fi, I use ESW9 and ER-4S. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I prefer the ER-4S but only because I prefer a more neutral presentation and the ESW9s are warmer.

So for you I think you need to decide whether you want an IEM or a portable closed headphone. SQ between the two you are considering is a similar level.

well, the smaller the better
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heh, I live in Brazil too (Rio de Janeiro), have the ESW9s and I wouldn't risk wearing those babies outdoors (you know). As for SQ, they sound great. I use mine amped (Corda Move) off my Cowon D2, and the sound is very lush and engaging. They sound great unamped too, but what your PC soundcard is?

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I live in Brazil too (Rio de Janeiro), have the ESW9s and I wouldn't risk wearing those babies outdoors (you know). As for SQ, they sound great. I use mine amped (Corda Move) off my Cowon D2, and the sound is very lush and engaging. They sound great unamped too, but what your PC soundcard is?

its a Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic, unmodded.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 13
I guess the ESW9s should sound great off your X-Fi. The only problem I see is that the cable is rather short to reach the back of a typical desktop PC. You may need to get a 3.5 mm female-to-male cable extender (you can get one for cheap -- less than R$ 10,00 -- on most electronic stores).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back