triple.fi 10 vocals sound muffled
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

enter260

New Head-Fier
Just got a pair of TF10 from amazon. At first I was impressed at the amount of bass (coming from Altec Lansing im716), but then I realized that vocals sound...well muffled. It sounds like there is a filter covering the singer's mouth. Is this what it's supposed to sound like? I read a few threads about having to "adjust" to the TF10's sound signature. What do you guys think?

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 37
maybe that you have to move the shell into position. put your fingers on the ends and move them forward or back until the tube points into the canal. i sometime get them in wrong but usually just one side.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 37
Yes, that is the sound signature of TFP and the only single complaint about them soundwise IMHO. A cloudy/veiled midrange. I believe this was done intentionally to create a very smooth and non-fatiguing presentation. It took a while to get use to coming from Etys but my ears adjusted for the most part. I found it odd this phenomenon was rarely ever brought up in the past until now. I always heard it.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 37
ah yes, spyro, i think it was you who mentioned the cloudiness in the other thread ... again, I definitely heard it too and unfortunately could not get over them so they are on their way back to amazon ...

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 37
erm im sorry but no one should be sending these back to amazon

if you dont want to sell at a profit then do a lovely christmasy thing and sell them at cost plus postage to head-fi'ers who dont live in the US and would love a set.

im sure many out there would love a set of them at a bargain price

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm im sorry but no one should be sending these back to amazon

if you dont want to sell at a profit then do a lovely christmasy thing and sell them at cost plus postage to head-fi'ers who dont live in the US and would love a set.

im sure many out there would love a set of them at a bargain price

No offense, but if someone wishes to return a product they don't like, they have every right to do so. It would certainly be nicer for our community to benefit from them, but if the buyer doesn't want to deal with international shipping, worrying about shipping damage, payment, etc, they have every right to return them to Amazon. So to say that "no one should be returning these to Amazon" seems a bit selfish.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but if someone wishes to return a product they don't like, they have every right to do so. It would certainly be nicer for our community to benefit from them, but if the buyer doesn't want to deal with international shipping, worrying about shipping damage, payment, etc, they have every right to return them to Amazon. So to say that "no one should be returning these to Amazon" seems a bit selfish.

I doubt Mark's intent was to be thoughtless, (it didn't come off that way to myself) perhaps merely to induce a bit of benevolence to others who may not have had the same opportunity. I agree that shipping international may be more of a pain than returning to Amazon, but at the end of the day, you'll still be getting your money back, perhaps a couple bucks extra for your troubles...
tongue.gif

I think his main point is that there are other avenues of recouping your initial investment than just returning them for the 99 bucks back... There have been numerous threads on folks even in the US that missed the sale that would gladly take them off our hands...
regular_smile .gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i said should not must, of course they can do what they like with their own property.

as for my being selfish, hardly. if you look at my sig you see i already have a set of triples so its hardly for my benefit, i was merely thinking of others. it is supposedly the season for that sort of thing is it not?

but no no clearly i was being utterly selfish

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 37
Personally I noticed initially that some songs the vocal seems to be muffled, or really distant, mostly ones from "not a good source". But that was for the first few days. Now I don't really have the problem... I am not sure if it was due to BA "burn-in" or my ears adjusting to the signature.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 37
In my ears' limited experience with the Super Fi 3 and 4vi and now the Triple Fi, it seems that UE's IEMs have a slight bump in the midbass. I wouldn't describe it as muddy but more "dirty" since to my ears it almost has a grainy nature. It seems to be least noticable in the TF10s due to their more lively treble.

That said, to me it seems that this midbass is brought out most using the stock single flange tips. I personally use the eBay double flange tips that are linked in Mark's sig. Your mileage may vary, but I hope everybody who wants to make the TF10s work for them finds their tip of choice.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 37
Well I think his point was that if you return your 99.00 deal they are just going to resell them at a higher price it's cool to pass on the deal.

I didn't like the coloration either. In some songs the vocals were silky but mostly veiled. The mid/highbass coloration just sounded too artificial and changed every song I heard. Some might like it, but I couldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back