Triple.Fi 10 bass-driver fail.
Dec 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lepetitchat

New Head-Fier
Has anyone ever had a failure of one of the drivers (just one driver, on one side) in the TF 10's?

It sounds like the bass-driver is gone in the left earbud of my TF 10's. I can't hear no kick-drum or bass-lines at all, in the left earbud.

This happened over a year ago when I got a Westone replacement cable for them and I wasn't happy with the sound compared to previous cables (too wide soundstage, lack of 'presence', etc.) so I was repeatedly pulling them out and changing the orientation (of the cable pins) to see which orientation gave the best sound. I must have twisted the internal components up when I was wiggling out the cable pins.
I haven't been using them since then, but I really want to get them fixed so I can return to UE heaven.

So, the driver could be damaged or it could simply be a loose connection to that driver (hopefully the latter).
Either way I'll have to send it somewhere to get it fixed.

Would a re-shell company (like Unique Melody) be able to repair the broken driver? I was thinking about getting a re-shell anyway, so two birds, one stone (an expensive stone).
If it was just a loose/broken internal connection it would just require a small bit of soldering wouldn't it?
But, if the driver is broken then they would have to replace it, and for balance they would probably have to replace the driver on the other side as well would they?

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? Do the reshell companies do repairs like this?

I'm in Ireland so all those companies are equally far from me it seems, I'd probably prefer to go with UM anyway because I might get a fourth driver added also.

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Has anyone ever had a failure of one of the drivers (just one driver, on one side) in the TF 10's?

It sounds like the bass-driver is gone in the left earbud of my TF 10's. I can't hear no kick-drum or bass-lines at all, in the left earbud.

This happened over a year ago when I got a Westone replacement cable for them and I wasn't happy with the sound compared to previous cables (too wide soundstage, lack of 'presence', etc.) so I was repeatedly pulling them out and changing the orientation (of the cable pins) to see which orientation gave the best sound. I must have twisted the internal components up when I was wiggling out the cable pins.
I haven't been using them since then, but I really want to get them fixed so I can return to UE heaven.

So, the driver could be damaged or it could simply be a loose connection to that driver (hopefully the latter).
Either way I'll have to send it somewhere to get it fixed.

Would a re-shell company (like Unique Melody) be able to repair the broken driver? I was thinking about getting a re-shell anyway, so two birds, one stone (an expensive stone).
If it was just a loose/broken internal connection it would just require a small bit of soldering wouldn't it?
But, if the driver is broken then they would have to replace it, and for balance they would probably have to replace the driver on the other side as well would they?

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? Do the reshell companies do repairs like this?

I'm in Ireland so all those companies are equally far from me it seems, I'd probably prefer to go with UM anyway because I might get a fourth driver added also.

Thanks.

Common sense tells me that they wouldn't fix a driver. That isn't really what they do, is it? They merely remove drivers from one shell and put it in another, pretty straightforward. I would send it back to the manufacturer.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Apparently UE (Logitech) don't do out-of-warranty repairs, of any kind. It's a common complaint with TF 10 owners.

I also read this thread where someone had their TF 10's repaired by Fischer, without reshelling:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600965/triple-fi-10-repair

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll be sending my headphones out to Fisher since they said that I can just get them repaired instead of reshelled.

But in that case it was more obvious what the problem was; I'm not sure in my case if it's a broken driver or a simple loose wire.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 6
It would be nice if it was just the cable, but a cable only carries two channels;  if it was the cable then the sound would be gone completely in that earphone, not just the bass-driver alone, right?

I don't have another working cable to try, but I did switch the cable connectors around so the right connector (one with the red mark) was plugged into the left earpiece, and vice-versa. And the problem remained the same; no bass in the left side.

Maybe I'll buy a Fiio RC-UE1 to see if it works, but I can't see how the problem could be caused by a cable.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Nah, if you switched sides of the cable I'm willing to bet a drivers gone out on that side. I wouldn't bother with another cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back