Trip to Japan and interesting high end audio stores, shows and places to visit in the Tokyo area.
Feb 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Scottsmrnyc

500+ Head-Fier
Can you advise me as to interesting high end audio and high end headphone stores, clubs and showrooms in the Tokyo area of Japan. I will be travelling there this October. Any and all advice big or small would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 18

just go to any big electronic store. biccamera, yodobashi  etc.
probably you will be central Tokyo. there is a biccamera on the west side of Shinjuku station.

Unlike many other countries they have all their stock on open display for you to try.

bring your own ipod/cowon etc and try out everything in store.

Akihabara has a few stores too, but nothing really different(a popular stop off  for foreign visitors but often disappointing for them, the days when IT Was The place to go for electronics is way past).

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for responding so quickly. I really think I have everything I need. I was just looking to do some window shopping, I will be staying at The Hyatt Regency near Shinjuku Station; so I will go into the store you have suggested. Thank You. Scottsmrnyc

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 18
Its easy to get around Tokyo using their rail lines. But they stop at 11:30pm, I think, its been awhile. Roppongi, night life for foreigners, used to hangout at Gas Panic. Akihabara, electronics, best is on Sunday, they close the main street from traffic. Harajuku, fashion, best is on Sunday, they close the main street from traffic.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 18
There are a zillion cool places to buy audio and electronics in Akihabara. The little individual booth-style vendors are totally cool. I love the tube guy - I always drop a couple hundred with him every time I visit there :D

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 18
5555 dyna in akihabara

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

just go to any big electronic store. biccamera, yodobashi  etc.
probably you will be central Tokyo. there is a biccamera on the west side of Shinjuku station.

Unlike many other countries they have all their stock on open display for you to try.

bring your own ipod/cowon etc and try out everything in store.

Akihabara has a few stores too, but nothing really different(a popular stop off  for foreign visitors but often disappointing for them, the days when IT Was The place to go for electronics is way past).

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Surprising for someone living in Japan, you're giving the typical cliches of someone who's been there 3 days only!

Akihabara is most definitely the place to go for checking out some electronics stuff. Dyna 5555 is THE place to go to listen to headphones in good conditions (I would never recommend someone to have a listen in one of those noisy Bic Camera or Yodobashi stores). They have pretty  much all of the production headphones too so you could easily spend the whole day there if you're not careful! This is the first floor, there are 6 more in case you want to check speaker based systems. I believe there is a floor dedicated to Mackintosh :wink:.

There are other headphone stores but a bit harder to get to unless you bring a phone with GPS... Have an iphone? If so, I could give you the address to a couple of others (Fujiya Avic in Nakano, which is bit west of shinjuku).

Finally, I would be happy to take you to these places when you come over but cannot guarantee until some time before your trip...

arnaud

PS: x2 on skylab's recommendation! I get my cables done by another of these 4m^2 shops!

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 18

Dyna 5555 is a great place, the benefit of pointing a traveller in the direction of one of the mainstream places is that they are often easier for the 
weary traveller to find.

I myself find the over noisy biccamera far better, as I can see what headphones are going to give me the best sound when i am out and about 
in noisy Tokyo.

Cliches...?, thats laying it on a bit thick.

I could point the OP to a nice boutique Hifi shop 3F Nakano Sun Mall 3F etc, but would it be worth their time trekking there for minimum rewards?, when a lot of
the stock they have can be found elsewhere and more conveniently (with a few exceptions-like the hifiman and custom cables).

I thoughtfully posted the mainstream places as a start, with a request for more information as to what they were looking for in particular, If they would reply to the thread further I would have offered more information.

plus you will notice the OP posted:
Thanks for responding so quickly. I really think I have everything I need. I was just looking to do some window shopping, I will be staying at The Hyatt Regency near Shinjuku Station; so I will go into the store you have suggested. Thank You. Scottsmrnyc

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Continue thanks to all who have responded. It should be a great trip to Tokyo. Thanks again.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 18
Korea has some amazing stores too, but doesn't Taiwan have a lot too??? As far as I've read, Taiwan has everything including Stax. It's America that I wish was like Asia.

Quote:
Ahh...wish all SE Asia was as good as Tokyo when it comes to head-fi eq

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 18
If you know where it is - please tell me - I know a few shops that but most specialize in hi-fi rather than headphone gear...

Stax...please let me know where...

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 18
I would be thrilled beyond belief if Chicago had just one store like Yodobashi Camera.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 18
I have it in mind to try and organise a Head-Fi meet in Tokyo later this year, around October, possibly coinciding with one of the Fujiya Avic headphone shows. I'm due to start talking to people about the idea. 

Is Dyna 5555 still a headphone store with relaxing chairs etc? Last I heard they had given up the headphone section. Edit: Seems they still do have headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back