Trip-hop suggestions? - eg. Massive Attack, EBTG, Snkr Pimps
Jul 22, 2003 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
I'm borrowing and buying CDs like mad, and need some more direction in this area. I'll name some of the things I like, and maybe you guys can recommend other artists/albums to pick up. These may not all be trip-hop, but i needed some categorical name to use...

DJ Shadow - anything and everything by him
Massive Attack - all, except I have yet to buy 100th Window
EBTG - i'm just starting to get into them, I'm ordering Walking Wounded & Tempermental

I've heard ppl mention Zero7, are they any good? I've read some real conflicting reviews

Anyway, thanks for your help. And feel free to be random and add suggestions of CDs that you would just recommend, b/c I'm trying to pick up all sorts of new music

thanks

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 26
EBTG did a great job with the "Back to Mine" album. Some of the others are good as well: Morcheba, MJ Cole, Talvin Singh, Faithless, Dave Seaman, Danny Tenaglia, Nick Warren... This is where I would start.

Bill

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 26
I really like Zero 7, and I also discovered Kruder & Dorfmeister, thanks to someone here on the forum. K&D, IMO, are the epitomy of true triphop/downtempo. I also like Thievery Corporation's Mirror Conspiracy (Washington, DC) and Faithless (London).
etysmile.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 26
if you don't own tricky - maxinquaye, you haven't ever heard sex.

i'm also assuming, of course, that you own all three portishead releases as well (the dvd is great too).

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 26
duh, yeah, I left out a vital few. I do have:

K&D Sessions
Portishead - Portishead, Dummy. What's the 3rd you'd recommend? Live in NY? I haven't kept up on their discography...

thanks for the ideas so far!

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 26
If you like trip-hop, you may also enjoy the Electric Ladyland series of compilations on the Mille Plateaux label. They tend to cover a lot of (common) ground - everything from downtempo, illbient, trip-hop, electro, drum&bass. A very good introduction to some lesser-known artists.

And like grinch suggested, Portishead is a must. I think there was a similar thread discussing this a while back...

biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 26
Couple more that I can think of would be Hooverphonic (I specifically recommend A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular)and Thievery Corporation (Richest Man in Babylon).

To go a little off the beaten path, if you don't mind instrumental music (with some vocals in there) try out Craig Armstrong's The Space Between Us. It has a mix of film cues, a (IMO better) version of Massive Attack's Weatherstorm (which I believe he cowrote), etc. One of my favorites.

Also (though this is going to be quite a stretch) if you're even more openminded and again don't mind instrumental music, you could try out the Silent Hill 3 video game soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka. Some rock, along with ambient tracks and some pretty good trip-hop. I could send you a sample if you have AIM or an e-mail account that can handle it.

biggrin.gif
One of my favorite genres.

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 26
Laika - SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES and GOOD LOOKING BLUES

Bjork - POST

Golden Palominos - PURE

Morcheeba - WHO CAN YOU TRUST?

if you get any of of these, get SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES. Great, awesome album.

-jar

Jul 22, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 26
how about UNKLE - Psyence Fiction?
It is a collaboration between DJ Shadow and James Lavalle. Many artistes are featured too. Thom Yorke, Richard Ashcroft, Badly Drawn Boy etc. Not exactly trip hop but you said anything by DJ Shadow.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
Laika - SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES and GOOD LOOKING BLUES

Golden Palominos - PURE

if you get any of of these, get SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES. Great, awesome album.

-jar

Yumyum! I do love Good Looking Blues and Pure - both excellent albums. Listen to jar, he knows what he is talking about!
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 26
Get anything on the NinjaTune label. Everything Trip Hop and experimental but funky as hell!!!!

Jul 23, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 26
Zero 7 isn't too bad...a tad laid back for my tastes

Thievery Corporation's Mirror Conspiracy is a great album [and very interesting to look at]. It's got basssssssss
basshead.gif

there's Mono and Esthero, both of which are not too great, but their albums have their moments...

Nitin Sawhney's Prophesy is an awesome album...very well done

that's about all i can think of right now...hope that helps

oh...there's also lamb....great duo...i don't know which category they lie in....a lot of Drum n Bass....with vocals...good stuff

Jul 23, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 26
I've ordered the UNKLE cd, those 2 EBTG CDs, and am gonna read up on the CDs you guys have mentioned. Other than allmusic.com, do you know of any good sites reviewing such CDs? someplace reliable and not some commercialized, biased BS?

thanks guys!!!

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 26
Everyone has pretty much covered the essentials.

You said you love Dj Shadow, which is great to hear, so you should check out Dj Krush for sure. He as a great duet cd with a trumpet player that is awesome (forget the exact name).

Also, try Karate, which is kinda trip hop, downtemp indie rock. I highly recommend these guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back