TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,231 of 1,582
I am running the Icarus III with Gunmetal and my favorite tips; the JVC Spiral Dots. I tried most of the filters and so far Gunmetal seems about right. I may have to experiment more with the golds but I suspect Gunmetal wins for me. Funny, the medium/high end gunmetal is my choice for my favorite tunables, the FLC8S. As these break in they may become a nice back up pair. My current other backups to the FLC8S are the venerable LZ-A2 (original) and Carbo Tenores (still a remarkably comfortable and good listen).

If I had a bit more time to evaluate these I might consider the 24 hour discount offer from Trinity. Somehow I don't like the way they have done business but for under $100 these are pretty good.

I would never buy a portable audio player from this brand because those kinds of units require firmware updates and I really doubt they have the resources to engage in such an activity. That was one of their many email offers and the thought of being captive to their shenanigans on a continuing basis would be hard to stomach.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,233 of 1,582
I opened the SpinFit tips today. Wow these are rad. Great isolation and super comfy. Never heard of SF before. Was very surprised to see them on Amazon for $11/2 pair. They might just be the most comfortable tips I've ever had in my ears though! Using the red SpinFits with the Green/Black Damper tips today and it's a great combo. Really, really enjoying the I3.

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,234 of 1,582
I envy those for whom Spinfits work well, I've tried all the sizes that came with my PM4 with every other earphone I have and I could never get them to deal or stay sealed.

Maybe I need to look at the Spiral Dots...

...oh, also bought the i-III, can't wait for it to arrive... Except I can because the Master is already great, and the shipping time to New Zealand is... Lengthy.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,236 of 1,582
I envy those for whom Spinfits work well, I've tried all the sizes that came with my PM4 with every other earphone I have and I could never get them to deal or stay sealed.

Maybe I need to look at the Spiral Dots...

Uhh, if you have the Master, yeah you do!

Spiral Dots are literally the only tips I've used that produce a good seal for the Masters. And, for whatever reason, they seem to compliment the Master's sound signature perfectly, much better than the Spinfits do (despite the fact that the opposite is the case with every other IEM I've tried them on).

So, yeah, I'd totally invest in a pair.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,237 of 1,582
Trying out my new Icarus III's... tried the blue filters first, as they were my initial go to with the Masters - interestingly, wasn't too into them. Switched to undampened gold and this sounds much better. Still need to experiment with black (my favorite w/ the Master), gun metal, and the purple and greens. I am fairly sure reds, oranges and silvers won't be to my taste but I will try them all out at some point. :D

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,240 of 1,582
I am running the Icarus III with Gunmetal and my favorite tips; the JVC Spiral Dots. I tried most of the filters and so far Gunmetal seems about right. I may have to experiment more with the golds but I suspect Gunmetal wins for me. Funny, the medium/high end gunmetal is my choice for my favorite tunables, the FLC8S. As these break in they may become a nice back up pair. My current other backups to the FLC8S are the venerable LZ-A2 (original) and Carbo Tenores (still a remarkably comfortable and good listen).

If I had a bit more time to evaluate these I might consider the 24 hour discount offer from Trinity. Somehow I don't like the way they have done business but for under $100 these are pretty good.

I would never buy a portable audio player from this brand because those kinds of units require firmware updates and I really doubt they have the resources to engage in such an activity. That was one of their many email offers and the thought of being captive to their shenanigans on a continuing basis would be hard to stomach.

I agree with getting a new product and be the first guinea pig unless you like to be. I rather wait on others to buy and try and wait before making a decision even if it's a $20.00 item. In this case I don't need a new DAP but it will be a first for Trinity and interesting to see what happens. I'm not sure any electronic device they put out can kncok out or best any high end contenders that have already established themselves and only specialize in one item, although more companies are now venturing into other area's which some are actually their in house product, but many are not so knowing a lot of what is out there is outsourced and re-branded you never know.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,241 of 1,582

The Gold undamped are the most edgy full true open gives you everything filter. If that does not bother you or your recording are not harsh or sibilant these will do it all. They shine on the best recording. If the recording has sibilance or is edgy hot, this filter will portray it exactly as it is and what it is. So sometimes it's a go to filter for me but on sibilant songs (80's-and others) it's not desirable.

The Gold filter is the next best thing if you need the treble softened/smoothed, but all else remains the same, and in reducing the treble, the bass moves up the scale a bit but not a lot. If the Gold filtered is not your taste, the next best is Gunmetal. It levels everything out and has it all and does it all, nothing is over or under anything else frequency wise. Gunmetal is a great place to start with the filters, then decide from there; do you need more or less of a frequency and then try that filter.

Eventually this will leave you with 1 or 2 maybe even 3 filters that you prefer and will switch back and forth with, but hopefully one as that is ideal depending on the genre of music or your sound preference regardless of the music genre.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,242 of 1,582
The Gold undamped are the most edgy full true open gives you everything filter. If that does not bother you or your recording are not harsh or sibilant these will do it all. They shine on the best recording. If the recording has sibilance or is edgy hot, this filter will portray it exactly as it is and what it is. So sometimes it's a go to filter for me but on sibilant songs (80's-and others) it's not desirable.

The Gold filter is the next best thing if you need the treble softened/smoothed, but all else remains the same, and in reducing the treble, the bass moves up the scale a bit but not a lot. If the Gold filtered is not your taste, the next best is Gunmetal. It levels everything out and has it all and does it all, nothing is over or under anything else frequency wise. Gunmetal is a great place to start with the filters, then decide from there; do you need more or less of a frequency and then try that filter.

Eventually this will leave you with 1 or 2 maybe even 3 filters that you prefer and will switch back and forth with, but hopefully one as that is ideal depending on the genre of music or your sound preference regardless of the music genre.

Hope that helps.

That's very helpful. I think I'll stick with the Gunmetal for a while and then see if the Gold damped are an improvement.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #1,243 of 1,582
The Gold undamped are the most edgy full true open gives you everything filter. ...
The Gold filter is the next best thing if you need the treble softened/smoothed, but all else remains the same, and in reducing the treble, the bass moves up the scale a bit but not a lot. If the Gold filtered is not your taste, the next best is Gunmetal. ...
Thank you! So many choices... it's nice to read short/sweet/considered filter suggestions.

So... Gold undamped, but it might be "edgy"; then it seems like almost a tie of Gold damped OR Gunmetal... Yes?
What about Black? I though many people had suggested "Gold or Black"... Where does black fit in your "reviews" of the filters?

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,244 of 1,582
Fitted ear hooks I had laying around. Went with the gold filter dampers and Comply 200 tips.
20170806_175749.jpg

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #1,245 of 1,582
Thank you! So many choices... it's nice to read short/sweet/considered filter suggestions.

So... Gold undamped, but it might be "edgy"; then it seems like almost a tie of Gold damped OR Gunmetal... Yes?
What about Black? I though many people had suggested "Gold or Black"... Where does black fit in your "reviews" of the filters?

By the description alone I didn't even bother as I do not prefer highs over mids. Maybe others might, but 90% of my music and preference is vocal so that is why the Black are a pass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back