TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
May 10, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #856 of 1,582
Are the Phantom Sabre's a better buy than the Vyrus V2 given that it is almost 2x the price?

Don't get me wrong, I know that both are quite critically acclaimed. I don't have much money (student) so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck.

I heard the Sabres, but it was at CanJam last year, so my memory is fuzzy.
They impressed me; I'd never heard bass done so well (this is due to the dual dynamic drivers, in a push-pull configuration, which apparently gives great bass along with smoothness and detail).
So, the Sabre's have that. I can't remember how good the mids and treble were.
Hopefully someone who owns them, or remembers better than I, can comment about that.
However, I think I would have recalled if I had been underwhelmed at all.

Conversely, the Vyrus II just has a single dynamic driver.
I do own the Vyrus II and am listening to them now. I feel there are a good IEM for the price; for me, the key attraction was the filter system, and a chance to experiment and figure out what kind of sound signature(s) I liked best, perhaps varying with different genres.
What I'm finding is that the sound quality is simply lower than my existing IEM's (PM4 and Noble Katana), and so I'm not really enjoying them that much.
They're not bad by any means, it's just that having gotten used to IEM's costing 3 to 30 times the price (!), I can notice the difference.

If I'd bought them a year or two ago, maybe I'd love them.
The filter system on the Sabre is more limited and basic. 5 filters I think, and they mainly just modify the level/quality of the bass, without much influence on the rest of the sound signature according to reports and graphs.

Conversely, you have 12(!) different filter sets with the Vyrus II, with quite a strong range of variation.
However, if the basic sound isn't all that great, it's not such a great benefit.

Please don't misunderstand me; the Vyrus II are terrific value (especially at the discounted price I bought them for) and a solid IEM.
But the Sabre is more of a mid-range IEM and I feel it offers a higher level of sound quality, along with a relatively special feature; the the dual dynamic drivers, in a push-pull configuration and the deep, powerful and tactile bass they offer (which can be toned down if desired by the filters).

So if I were in your position, I'd rather go for a Sabre, or (even better), keep an eye on the 'for sale' threads or on here for people who are wanting to sell their Master or Icarus III in the coming weeks/months.
Then you'd be able to get a more mid-Fi level of sound quality *and* all the new filters.

Of course, this is just one man's advice. Others may feel differently, and if there's any way for you to borrow/test the IEM's before you buy, that's always the best way :)

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #857 of 1,582
Would the Phantom Sabre's be a worthy upgrade over the Vyrus V2 given that it is 2x the price? I don't have much money (student) so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck.
I heard the Sabres, but it was at CanJam last year, so my memory is fuzzy.
They impressed me; I'd never heard bass done so well (this is due to the dual dynamic drivers, in a push-pull configuration, which apparently gives great bass along with smoothness and detail).
So, the Sabre's have that. I can't remember how good the mids and treble were.
Hopefully someone who owns them, or remembers better than I, can comment about that.
However, I think I would have recalled if I had been underwhelmed at all.

Conversely, the Vyrus II just has a single dynamic driver.
I do own the Vyrus II and am listening to them now. I feel there are a good IEM for the price; for me, the key attraction was the filter system, and a chance to experiment and figure out what kind of sound signature(s) I liked best, perhaps varying with different genres.
What I'm finding is that the sound quality is simply lower than my existing IEM's (PM4 and Noble Katana), and so I'm not really enjoying them that much.
They're not bad by any means, it's just that having gotten used to IEM's costing 3 to 30 times the price (!), I can notice the difference.

If I'd bought them a year or two ago, maybe I'd love them.
The filter system on the Sabre is more limited and basic. 5 filters I think, and they mainly just modify the level/quality of the bass, without much influence on the rest of the sound signature according to reports and graphs.

Conversely, you have 12(!) different filter sets with the Vyrus II, with quite a strong range of variation.
However, if the basic sound isn't all that great, it's not such a great benefit.

Please don't misunderstand me; the Vyrus II are terrific value (especially at the discounted price I bought them for) and a solid IEM.
But the Sabre is more of a mid-range IEM and I feel it offers a higher level of sound quality, along with a relatively special feature; the the dual dynamic drivers, in a push-pull configuration and the deep, powerful and tactile bass they offer (which can be toned down if desired by the filters).

So if I were in your position, I'd rather go for a Sabre, or (even better), keep an eye on the 'for sale' threads or on here for people who are wanting to sell their Master or Icarus III in the coming weeks/months.
Then you'd be able to get a more mid-Fi level of sound quality *and* all the new filters.

Of course, this is just one man's advice. Others may feel differently, and if there's any way for you to borrow/test the IEM's before you buy, that's always the best way :)

Thank you very much! As much as I'd like a used Phantom Master 5 or Icarus III, buying them from here is unfortunately a riskier option as the customs in our country is unreliable and sketchy at times (there have been cases where customs have tampered with or even stolen shipped products).

May 10, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #858 of 1,582
Thank you very much! As much as I'd like a used Phantom Master 5 or Icarus III, buying them from here is unfortunately a riskier option as the customs in our country is unreliable and sketchy at times (there have been cases where customs have tampered with or even stolen shipped products).

I have sabres and there fantastic, cant comment on the vyrus though.

May 10, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #859 of 1,582

Where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?

May 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #862 of 1,582
I'm based in the Philippines

I've seen quite a few people from the Philippines on the Trinity Thread.. Maybe have a search around and see if you can PM any of them who might be interested in selling? :)

May 10, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #863 of 1,582
In any case, these have caught my attention for 2 or more reasons. They seem to blend dinamic and BA in a proper way; they have tips to slightly adjust the frequency response (which is far better than the plethora of subjective reviews on this forum); they are affordable.

Since there are so many brands, and everytime a new one is announced, people seem to flock there, just to squander their money, what sets the TRINITY really apart from competition?

And to add to Jigsaw and Ian's comments they are flat out as beautiful as they sound:wink:
Budgiefied.JPG

May 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #864 of 1,582
Got two Masters today (one for a friend one for myself). Build quality seem to very high.Fit is maybe not perfect for me but I get OK seal.
Bass is very very deep..Listening Rostropovich doing his thing with cello feels in the chest. Very physical experience. Soundstage is large and spatial imaging seem to be very very accurate.
I absolutely love the sound.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #866 of 1,582
No, that's not what you said. You said that a single-ended cable could be connected to a balanced output, which is not correct. That cannot work. Regardless, that is not necessarily the issue here.

Yes, the Masters are balanced from the earpieces to the female 3.5mm connector, but the R- and L- wires are tied together at that point because it is a TRS connection. It is a TRS connection because the supplied cable is TRS on both ends. TRS and TRRS connectors are not interchangeable. You cannot connect a TRRS male connector to a TRS female connector or vice versa. Therefore, since the female connector is TRS by definition, you will never be able to achieve a true balanced connection from the earpieces to a balanced source because the earpiece grounds are common at the y-split.
The female 3.5mm connector is trrs and here's a post showing the new balanced cable.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...he-future-holds.828234/page-113#post-13482315

May 11, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #867 of 1,582
And to add to Jigsaw and Ian's comments they are flat out as beautiful as they sound:wink:
Looks awesome. I'm glad everyone seems to be loving the new Masters but now I'm left with the feeling I might have joined the wrong queue at the check out.
I swapped my order for the icarus3 thinking the Masters might sound too smilar to my PM4s . That'll teach me. lol. Hopefully they will be amazeballs too. ☺
Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

Nice photo Podster.

May 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #868 of 1,582
Nice photo Podster.

THX barondla, not bad for my old iPhone 6!

@Jigsaw feet I got in at the last minute on the Icarus III and grabbed that $10 Icarus I while I was at it. Seems so many want to jump on the tear down Trinity express but to the best of my knowledge Bob and Co. have really only had one hiccup in the manufacturing by his old threader. I'm sure it even put Trinity a little more behind in some productions but everything (and I'm pretty sure I've bought all but two models since they started) have been outstanding and also IMO some of the best bang for the buck in the industry. I feel Bob always has the highest hopes he can get things out as promised but until you've run a company you should should consider what damage one can cause based on ones own speculation!

I'm not a fan boy per say but as I've said once delivered I've not really been disappointed sans the PM4's issue which was probably rushed too much from the get go then had the thread issue with filters which just exacerbated the problems. Of course Bob is still feeling the sting of that one but they seem to be plodding right along and not letting one glitch stop progress and with each new release I believe they truly are progressing. The one thing I have learned it's easy to sit behind a keyboard and tear someone or something down when 99% of the time most have no clue to what has really even caused so much dismay other than others piling on the same train, reminds me of how we got our current POTUS:frowning2:

May 11, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #869 of 1,582
Does anyone have an issue with the carbon fibre plate breaking when you unscrew them?

On one of the faceplates of mine the screws are "stuck" together with the faceplate so when I unscrewed them the screw lifted the faceplate from one side and cracked the carbon fibre plate :triportsad:. On another side the screws lifted fine without getting stuck so the plate was ok.

I changed them because the carbon fibre plate's edge was sharp and was cutting my ears. With the red plate it's very very comfortable. So I won't be using the carbon fibre plate in the future anyway. But just a words of warning to anyone trying to change the faceplate. You might want to unscrew bit by bit and keep switching between the three sides so that you don't risk cracking it like I did.

On the other hand. I love the green filter, lovely bass. I'd put it on the same level with my iBasso IT03 using the green filters! On gold undamped which everyone seems to love, I felt that the treble was has some kinda weird echo for certain songs. This seems to be true for the default red and the purple as well. On the filters with black damper I did not hear that. But maybe it's just my personal taste for the treble and it's not really an "issue". Blue, black and green are my favourites currently, and I'd switch between them depending on my mood.

May 11, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #870 of 1,582
On one of the faceplates of mine the screws are "stuck" together with the faceplate so when I unscrewed them the screw lifted the faceplate from one side and cracked the carbon fibre plate :triportsad:. On another side the screws lifted fine without getting stuck so the plate was ok.

I changed them because the carbon fibre plate's edge was sharp and was cutting my ears. With the red plate it's very very comfortable. So I won't be using the carbon fibre plate in the future anyway. But just a words of warning to anyone trying to change the faceplate. You might want to unscrew bit by bit and keep switching between the three sides so that you don't risk cracking it like I did.

Nice of you to bring this out, did you happen to email Trinity? I'm sure they will send you new ones as soon as they hear of this and also make sure who is cutting in the screw hole monitors this going forward since it sounds like the hole diameter on that side was too small and the screw threaded itself into the plate as well as the shell! Of course I'm still puzzled as to how the outside of the shell face plate sticking out so far could be cutting your ears:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back