TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
May 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #841 of 1,582
got mine 2 days ago... first impressions ?

They arrived with the red filters tried those for a bit, the bass was a bit uncontroleld, changed to the gold filters which everyone recommends and i have to say im a bit split in my opinion.

Going from the PM4 to the Phantom Master reminded me a lot of when my IE8´s broke, the IE8 is a awesome iem with a dark rich sound but is somewhat slow which gives it a neumatic/bouncy sound which is quite fun in some genres like pop, rock and R&B. and i replaced them with earsonics SM3v2 which were fast, brighter and much cleaner sound wise so at first i was disapointed becuase they sounded sterile and "dead" compared to the IE8, it took me a week or two to warm up to them.

And i feel like the story repeats itself here, the Masters is brighter (and slightly sibilant, but not much), faster and has a much more controlled bass then the PM4, so you get a cleaner more detailed sound (and god damn the stereo imaging on the masters is amazing) but at the same time you feel they are more grown up, these are made for more accurate and fast recordings, and some of your rock, pop or R&B can feel a bit sterile sincec the bass is faster tighter and more refined.

I wish the cables on my PM4 werent that bad (i know, no complaining on this thread) i would love to continue enjoying them but every time i take them out of the house i live with the fear that im goung to pull them out and the left pod will be missing, and the sound does cut out every now and then and i have to play with the connector.

anyways, my main gripe with the masters is that i was looking at the box and thinking "these are so small" and then i pulled them out and suddenly... "these are so wide...". i have wide ears so they rest inside, the bottom of the earphone actually isnt wider then the bottom of the ear so in some positions i have the sharp outer edge resing inside my ear and bothering me. if it gets too much i might put a piece of padding there maybe.

May 7, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #843 of 1,582

They arrived with the red filters tried those for a bit, the bass was a bit uncontroleld, changed to the gold filters which everyone recommends and i have to say im a bit split in my opinion.
I said roughly that and some folks suggested that I try the GREEN filters instead of the GOLD. Not sure if I prefer the green, but... if you try them, I'd love to know what you think.

May 7, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #844 of 1,582
Been using the Masters (gold undamped + Kombi) on my Nexus 6p on the go and with my Xduoo05 when I'm home for about a week. Gotta say the extra power and bass boost gives it the extra kick it needs for my personal preference. Tried the foam tips, too muddy/veil for my preference, but some substantial amount of bass added (seems to fit the best).

May need to invest in a DAP to go with it and my PM6.

May 7, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #845 of 1,582

And i feel like the story repeats itself here, the Masters is brighter (and slightly sibilant, but not much), faster and has a much more controlled bass then the PM4, so you get a cleaner more detailed sound (and god damn the stereo imaging on the masters is amazing) but at the same time you feel they are more grown up, these are made for more accurate and fast recordings, and some of your rock, pop or R&B can feel a bit sterile sincec the bass is faster tighter and more refined.

Have you tried the silver filters? They open up the bass.

May 7, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #846 of 1,582
Pulled out my PM4 with gold undamped filters, plugged them into my X3, and found them miles ahead of the Masters in terms of comfort. Admittedly the Masters add finese in many areas soundly trumping the PM4s but damn I wish their blocky case fit me better. Sad really....

May 8, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #848 of 1,582
Bit of a long shot, and I know I could do it in for sale but....

I received kombi tips with my masters in 'M' (medium) size.

No use to me at all. Just wondering if anyone received a 'L' (large) size and want to swap unopened packs?

Ideally UK for ease and mucho cheapness....

May 8, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #849 of 1,582
Can anyone offer us an account of how they perceive the differences in the filters? I know Bob put up a rough guide, but I am wondering if anyone has more informative account. Several have voted, so I'd like to know what people think.

May 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #850 of 1,582
I like how the orange filter isn't even included in the poll above. As if they already know, nobody wants that crap. lol

May 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #851 of 1,582
Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #852 of 1,582
I'm the blue vote. I've tried every filter at this point, and I have to say, I'm shocked that no one else voted for it. To me, the difference in quality between the blue and every other filter is astonishing. I felt that the bass-oriented filters (red, silver, etc) all were excessive with the bass and produced static fuzz at high volume (I like to really blast music lol). This is with an Astell & Kern AK Jr and Fiio E12 combo. The treble-forward filters (green, black, purple, etc) all produced harsh high-end sounds, including, again, static fuzz at high volumes when it came to high-pitched guitar sounds.

The blue, on the other hand, is wonderfully balanced. Everything sounds clear and smooth as hell. The bass is a bit under emphasized, but with the E12's bass booster, it's perfect.

Also, for anyone having fit/seal issues, such as @Bob A (SD) above, I can't recommend JVC's spiral dot ear tips enough. They fit like magic in my ears, much better than the spin fits, and they sound great too. Sure, they're a bit pricey, but completely worth it!

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #853 of 1,582
My experience with tips so far on my masters: (Gold undamped filters)

Didn't really like anything much the box - the translucent grey ones being the best.
I didn't get any spinfits but I do have a single pair stashed at home - hated them, as I have on anything else I've tried them on - utter bass devastation and turns into a harsh treble-mess. I don't get the love these things have.
My favourite JVC tips - the EP-FX8 are just a bit too large a bore so I needed to rip up an old Sony hybrid-a-alike to use the core and pad out the stem a little. These are great but are only an 'M' and just not quite right with the extra bit I had to add.
Kombi tips Large are the best so far, believe it or not - smooth out top a tiny bit, keeps the detail and gives me a great seal. Zero issues putting them on either - which others seem to be having.
I've just ordered some 'ML' spiral dots as I'll be able to use those and on my incoming PM6s eventually, hopefully, ahem....

May 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #854 of 1,582
I'm the blue vote. I've tried every filter at this point, and I have to say, I'm shocked that no one else voted for it. To me, the difference in quality between the blue and every other filter is astonishing. I felt that the bass-oriented filters (red, silver, etc) all were excessive with the bass and produced static fuzz at high volume (I like to really blast music lol). This is with an Astell & Kern AK Jr and Fiio E12 combo. The treble-forward filters (green, black, purple, etc) all produced harsh high-end sounds, including, again, static fuzz at high volumes when it came to high-pitched guitar sounds.

The blue, on the other hand, is wonderfully balanced. Everything sounds clear and smooth as hell. The bass is a bit under emphasized, but with the E12's bass booster, it's perfect.

Also, for anyone having fit/seal issues, such as @Bob A (SD) above, I can't recommend JVC's spiral dot ear tips enough. They fit like magic in my ears, much better than the spin fits, and they sound great too. Sure, they're a bit pricey, but completely worth it!

Argh... My blue filters arrived faulty and unusable. I've contacted Trinity about it and they said they are sending new ones. Anyway, I suspected the blue would be my favorite and your description makes it seem even more likely. Time to email Jake again. Thanks for the description!

May 10, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #855 of 1,582
Are the Phantom Sabre's a better buy than the Vyrus V2 given that it is almost 2x the price?

Don't get me wrong, I know that both are quite critically acclaimed. I don't have much money (student) so I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back