TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #241 of 1,582

I'm assuming the master will sound like the PM4. Ugh from a tech standpoint the master sounds cooler.

I guess the Icarus is a smart buy with the discount code. Aren't any other hybrid IEMs with balanced cables for $100.

The bummer is that they're both limited runs so I can't buy one then another later - the master may have sold out by then.

Well, l look at it differently. I don't always buy based on price. Balanced cable and limited run are meaningless if you don't like the sound nor the fit. 
For a $100 you are basically taking a flyer since no one can tell you how they sound or you can buy something that has more reviews and info. 

why would they do a limited production run on the Master and Icarus 3?
Bob said in his Q&A vid that after they kept changing they finally got to the point where it is as good as possible so no more constant changes moving forward. Last week he also mentioned that he is not going to do pre-orders anymore so it's safe to assume these will be around for a while as the middle of the road models.
If they are good and popular there is no reason to discontinue them so quickly. 

I don't believe either the Master or Icarus III is a limited run IEM, I can't remember seeing that anywhere. I believe he was referring to the discount codes on them being valid for a limited time.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #242 of 1,582
Well, l look at it differently. I don't always buy based on price. Balanced cable and limited run are meaningless if you don't like the sound nor the fit. 
For a $100 you are basically taking a flyer since no one can tell you how they sound or you can buy something that has more reviews and info. 

why would they do a limited production run on the Master and Icarus 3?
Bob said in his Q&A vid that after they kept changing they finally got to the point where it is as good as possible so no more constant changes moving forward. Last week he also mentioned that he is not going to do pre-orders anymore so it's safe to assume these will be around for a while as the middle of the road models.
If they are good and popular there is no reason to discontinue them so quickly. 

Whoops I had assumed they were like the other items I was looking at where they were production of 1000 max. I was looking at the deltas origionally but that preorder is sold.
I was looking at jumping on the LZ a4 as my annual allowed IEM (budget-wise) but the trinity stuff all looks so much more interesting from a tech standpoint. I've liked all the hybrids I've listened to in the past few years so that's mostly what I've been looking for this year.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #243 of 1,582
Maybe why the abandoned the PM4. I'm glad I didn't get one.

many reasons including wrong pins too thin for connector

I can't decide between the Icarus and the master. I haven't heard anything by trinity so the quote about the two don't really help. The push/pull transducer on the master sounds interesting, but I have no idea what kind of sound that imparts. On the other hand I know I like larger dynamic drivers with their bass impact and lower extension (typically). They otherwise seem to both be 1-1 hybrids with the same cables, body material, and accessories.

push pull basically means a lot of subbass

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #244 of 1,582
many reasons including wrong pins too thin for connector

That's a new one on me, I suppose that would also apply to the Vyrus. I haven't had a problem with the pins on either model myself, nor the coating that has been mentioned as coming off easily (I'm on the gunmetal PM4s though).

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #246 of 1,582
That's a new one on me, I suppose that would also apply to the Vyrus. I haven't had a problem with the pins on either model myself, nor the coating that has been mentioned as coming off easily (I'm on the gunmetal PM4s though).

didn't use other iems, it's prolly only silver it comes off

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #247 of 1,582
seems pretty clear to me.

"The complaint about lack of pictures is that there have been mentions of changes to both the PM6 and hunter, if nothing else, than simply the fact that its now using a recessed 2 pin cable connector. But on top of that, we have no real idea what the current filter system actually looks like"

"Everything looks exactly the same including filters...So what's on our site is a pretty accurate image."

Or "looks exactly the same including filters... as it looked before". Triple bore filters were a sure thing when Brooko tested the Hunter and I do not believe they changed it. But I will not start a fight on this as we have no way to know.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #248 of 1,582
Or "looks exactly the same including filters... as it looked before". Triple bore filters were a sure thing when Brooko tested the Hunter and I do not believe they changed it. But I will not start a fight on this as we have no way to know.

I hope they don't have triple bore filters, since they wouldn't actually serve a purpose here and would be kind of silly.  It would be like the cars with a fake hood scoop because 'the other cool cars have them' when they actually serve a purpose on those cars... 

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #249 of 1,582
I hope they don't have triple bore filters, since they wouldn't actually serve a purpose here and would be kind of silly.  It would be like the cars with a fake hood scoop because 'the other cool cars have them' when they actually serve a purpose on those cars... 

Well the price hasn't changed due to triple bore filters and they add another level in raw material cost and assembly time - it would be madness for trinity to carry them forward if they don't affect the sound?

Your opinion is coming across as if it's a fact and we simply don't know what the effect will be yet!

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #250 of 1,582
Well the price hasn't changed due to triple bore filters and they add another level in raw material cost and assembly time - it would be madness for trinity to carry them forward if they don't affect the sound?

Your opinion is coming across as if it's a fact and we simply don't know what the effect will be yet!

It is fact.  The only reason other IEMs use a triple bore is to separate the sound tubes.  In this case they would only be used to look cool, since the sound from the drivers are dumping into the IEM body..  Anyway, Bob did confirm they ditched the triple bores a while ago but I'm not going to waste time finding it.  

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #251 of 1,582
didn't use other iems, it's prolly only silver it comes off

Really? I was under the impression you cracked your M4 open, tore the drivers out, replaced them with Flare drivers et set everything under loads of glue.
There is no way the paint got off because of misuse. Or is it...

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #253 of 1,582
It is fact.  The only reason other IEMs use a triple bore is to separate the sound tubes.  In this case they would only be used to look cool, since the sound from the drivers are dumping into the IEM body..  Anyway, Bob did confirm they ditched the triple bores a while ago but I'm not going to waste time finding it.  

Here's an old post...

New Hunter filters

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)L3, Hunter and FiiO balanced cable (modified to fit)

I've done most of my testing this time with a FiiO cable - mainly because on this particular pair of prototypes, the left hand socket is just about knackered. It doesn't make any measurable difference to the sound, and I simply used an adaptor for single ended use.

The new filter line up looks like this:

Yep - triple bores, and if I'm not mistaken, each one of those is a damper (I'll leave Bob to comment)

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
Brown white and opaqueGreen, red (and brown)

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
How they look inside the HunterSlightly different angle

OK - that's great.  how do they sound / affect frequency?  Well you'll remember last time that I was a bit concerned about the upper mid-range on the original filters/driver tuning.  It was (to me anyway) overly vibrant, and actually took away from the lower mid-range.  It was good - just needed to be tweaked.

Hunter - all new filtersHunter old gold (damped and undamped) vs new red

The new filters aren't really that much different from the old ones - but the red filter significantly lowers the upper mid-range. It still retains the Trinity house sound, and that mainly centers around a vivid and clear mid-range, and punchy bass, but this tme the balance is a lot better.  I'd be willing to bet that most people are going to love the red filter.  In the graph on the right you can see the red vs the original gold damped and undamped.  The bass doesn't really change - but the mid-range does.

Now - to give you an idea of what you can expect.  Fidue released a TOTL IEM earlier this year - a 5 driver hybrid called the Sirius.  It doesn't have filters, but the bass port is internal, and depending on your anatomy, it can affect how the bass is delivered.  Totally unfettered, and the bass port delivers very linear bass - practically flat. Blocked and the bass humps (a lot).  The true signature will depend on your own anatomy, but I'd suggest for most of us, the Sirus would be somewhere between the two extremes.  Perhaps pretty close to where the Hunter sits in the graph below:

And you'll be able to see the similarities in the mid-range relative to bass and lower treble.

I'll get the new filters and Hunter prototype to Vince early next week - and he can give you a read on his thoughts as well.

Brooko seemed to think they would improve the original filters and i trust his judgement enough not to argue with it, i hope they do arrive with triple bores.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #254 of 1,582
That was posted back when we were still having beneficial 'discussion' and people were not jumping to conclusions and fearing the worst, just reading the posts across the threads from last night / this morning i see people making statements and having to be corrected as they are wrong - this is not helping the situation people!

If you're not sure of something then word it as a question rather than making it a statement, we can then help each other (i thought that was what forums were all about).

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #255 of 1,582
Really? I was under the impression you cracked your M4 open, tore the drivers out, replaced them with Flare drivers et set everything under loads of glue.
There is no way the paint got off because of misuse. Or is it...

They loose paint ask guys to post their silver pm4 they look worn cause the paint easily wears off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back