Triflange
Nov 9, 2005 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying triflange tips for my e4 and wondering if there's any difference between generic triflanges sold at earphonesolutions.com and the authentic shure ones.

Thanks

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm MR. No experience, but I'm pretty sure the bi-flanges are not a mod of the tri's.

Nov 9, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 11
I believe you can buy bi-flanges as is, but most people in this forum refer to bi-flanges as modded tri-flanges: Snip off the smallet flange and trim the stem to fit. The mod is commonly used for UM2s (I'm using them).

On the topic of Shure VS generic tri-flange ... I can't imagine how different they can be. The stems might be of different lengths, but that's the most discernible difference I can think of. The ones I'm using are generic ones which earphone solutions shipped with my UM2s.

Nov 9, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 11
I stand erect and corrected. Maybe I'll be modding mine when they get here. no puns intended

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Etymotics Customer Service has supplied me with both bi and tri-flanges in different sizes - so they are available if you ask. Contrary to what was posted above - the sound of the flanged tips/sleeves is decidedly different than any foamies. The preferable sound, to me, is the flanged (foamies to be reserved for use in high-noise environment eg. flying)..........more importantly for you to know is not all tips are interchangible. The stem on your iem varies in thickness (less importantly, also length). So, if you combine some tips that will be wrong for your iem.....they will be too loose and likely to come off sometime during use ie. tip remaining in your ear canal when you have removed iem......so-o-o-o be sure tip fits firmly onto the stem.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roblin
I'm MR. No experience, but I'm pretty sure the bi-flanges are not a mod of the tri's.

Not sure about others but Ety's er6i's large and small biflanges are actually different mod versions of a triflange. I'm not sure about the retail version but the samples they sent me are:

The small ones are actually a triflange with its largest flange snip off.

The large ones are a triflange with stem and its smallest flange snip off.
Their original triflange had the stem snip off.

How i know? Because i can see the rough cut made by a pair of scissors. They're not cleanly cut.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Not sure about others but Ety's er6i's large and small biflanges are actually different mod versions of a triflange. I'm not sure about the retail version but the samples they sent me are:

The small ones are actually a triflange with its largest flange snip off.

The large ones are a triflange with stem and its smallest flange snip off.
Their original triflange had the stem snip off.

How i know? Because i can see the rough cut made by a pair of scissors. They're not cleanly cut.

Yeah you're right, except I think that the flanges are cut at an angle but that doesn't mean they were roughtly cut. They were cut at an angle on purpose and the cut is quite smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back