Tried luck On DIY cables....
Jul 1, 2005 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Wow what a complete failure. I read the step by step and thought I was all that and made a mini to mini and mini to rca... Wow, the freekin mini to mini, the techflex was too short, couldn't use the housing to lock onto, So that was disgustingly ugly. It worked however. My mini to rca Took a while to make and it didn't even work, I forgot to use multi meter.. Gd it. I will have pics so all your people can laugh your asses off. I didn't have a y connector for the rca one , so you can imagine how piss poor that looks, I suck at life and I think I will never try to make my own cables again.! I'm disgusted with myself

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 22
I think you would feel much better if you heard stories of my first cables...
frown.gif

Just stick at it, take your time, and do everything carefully. Makes it a tadd boring but yields excellent results. Never say "its close enough, it will do" - every step has to be perfect.

So go on, what you got planned for your next cable? :p

Rob.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 22
Lol I will get pics up and youll laugh histerically... My mini to mini is the saddest excuse for a cable ever.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 22
Did I ever tell you about time I heated a neutrik mini for so long that the plastic melted?
eek.gif

You're not the first to fail at their first attempt, just brave enough to say something about it. I enjoy my own mistakes for the most part, they let me know that I'm learning. Why just tonight I wired up an output jack wrong (ground and left swapped) and it took me an hour to find it.

Welcome to TEAM IMPERFECT, weekly support meetings generally don't happen since we all forget about when and where they are
tongue.gif

Nate

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Whats the best way for me not to screw up. I definately didn't have all i needed, no heatshrink and what not. Is there an order to the madness? I Tried logically putting the steps I thought, But it all came out liek S***

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 22
No worries, it takes a few tries before you'll be satisfied with your results. Now that you have some experience, your next build will go a lot smoother.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
No worries, it takes a few tries before you'll be satisfied with your results. Now that you have some experience, your next build will go a lot smoother.

Very true. I think it's fair to say it's happened to most of us. We just tend to post our success stories.
cool.gif

You're brave enough to admit your failures. The next one will be much easier.

I think skyskraper's Dynalo should always be used to maintain some levity and perspective:

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
finally finished with my dynalo
dynalo.jpg

600smile.gif
cool.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 22
get some ULTRA cheap junky plastic connectors and ultra ultra cheap cable and practice on that stuff. then give them to your friends or whatever when you're done practicing.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 22
It could be worse...pretty much EVERY single time I make a new cable I forget to put the barrel and heatshrink on before soldering the 2nd plug!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I've done it like 4 times, and probably will still do it more. Every time, the string of profanities that leaves my mouth after realizing this gets just a little bit longer!
biggrin.gif
I've also tore up 2 $3.50 Switchcraft RA's due to tooo many resolderings. At least you didn't screw up on anything expensive!

Keep at it, you'll eventually make some pretty sweet looking cables and say, "Damn, I'm pretty good at this stuff, I rock!!!".

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 22
I forget the barrel and heatshrink quite frequently as well. I'm using a barrel-less 1/4" jack on my SR60's right now because I'm too lazy to redo it. And I'm probably going to recable 'em again anyway. I want to shield them this time around.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
It could be worse...pretty much EVERY single time I make a new cable I forget to put the barrel and heatshrink on before soldering the 2nd plug!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Oh god! Doing this craps me to tears, and i never seem to stop.

Rob.

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 22
... then there are the times you remember to put the barrel on the cable, but upside down ...

Maybe we should all start using the 90 degree jacks with the barrel cap which can be put on over the cable.

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I've done it like 4 times, and probably will still do it more. Every time, the string of profanities that leaves my mouth after realizing this gets just a little bit longer!
biggrin.gif
I've also tore up 2 $3.50 Switchcraft RA's due to tooo many resolderings. At least you didn't screw up on anything expensive!

Keep at it, you'll eventually make some pretty sweet looking cables and say, "Damn, I'm pretty good at this stuff, I rock!!!".

Where did you find switch craft ra connectors for $3.50?

The lowest Ive found them were $4.99 and after shipping and a good quantity it comes out to about 7 dollars a plug. I want plugs for $3.50!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back