Tried luck On DIY cables....
Jul 2, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 22
Heh heh, thanks all for cheering me up. Even though I was disgusted with my cables, I stole some more 4 wire cables from work today. After a 14 hour day, and seeing I was the only one left in the building I grabbed some cable and heatshrink for myself..
smily_headphones1.gif
LOL. I woulda grabbed a heat-gun too but they have cameras, I don't think theyll care about the cable, If they do screw em, I spent 14 hours testing some "Test Heads" that take like an hour + to test them. They ship because of ME tommorrow !

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #18 of 22
the first mini cable Ive ever made was with a cat 3 cable, it suffered from intermittence, and I didnt know I was supposed to use a sleeve.

Ive also forgotten to slide down the barrel before solder both ends.
once, I did it on a right angle mini, I chopped it off and resoldered the end with a new plug only to find out I forgot the barrel again.

I got really pissed off that day.

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 22
Heh heh! Yeah for some god forsaken reason I didn't forget the barrels. HOWEVER, getting those freeking barrels on after all the soldering done was a chore in itself. The neutrik mini connectors that I got were not exactly the best designed in my oppinion. The ground had a hole to put the wire in which I did, but it stuck out too much from the bottome (probably my fault for stripping it too long) but I couldn't fit the barrel over the solder mess. God damn I wanted to kill some one. I'm trying my luck with a mini -> rca again today (have a DMM so I can't screw up). And some heatshrink, but no heat gun. Hopefully my mom's hairdryer will work LOL

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 22
I regularly shrink heatshrink with a small Bic lighter... just keep it an inch or so above the flame, or the edges of the tubing will burn and curl up some.

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 22
I would recommend against using a lighter, as you found out, you can singe the shrink, its also uneven.

Im a bit crazy myself and use ungar dual heat, heat gun, I place my finger right at the end of the shrink tube holding the flex., which prevents warping and holes in flex
smily_headphones1.gif
if done right your fingers never burn.

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 22
I decided to give this DIY cable thing a try, other than the soldering iron, solder, heatgun, multimeter, and wire cutters I already owned everything I needed.

I'm gonna buy my next cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back