tricked by your 'phones?
Dec 1, 2007 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
when was the last time your headphones tricked you into thinking something in a recording was in the room?

just now on a pair of HD650's, a Blueberry Audio Millet Hybrid, and a NAD CDP, listening to Arvo Pärt's Alina i thought someone had crept into the room and sat down next to me. i turned my head to see that no one was there, less than 30 seconds later i did it again. MAN!
biggrin.gif

too happy
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 30
A year or so I guess.
Using some binaural recordings...

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 30
In a rap song, a lightning strike sounds exactly like a truck making noise when passing by on the road in front of the house. I've literally heard the same noise coming from the same direction live many times. I have to remind myself that it's not a truck every time I listen... mind boggling.

Hmm, Arvo Pärt is Estonian as well and yet I've only rarely listened to his work. I might help myself to it some day.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 30
When I play my bass guitar, I plug my K601s into my amp, and the first time I did this I had to take the headphones off to make sure that the sound was just coming from my headphones and not from the speaker as well.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 30
A few days ago, I was listening with the lights out and thought I heard something, so I turned my head and totally freaked out because I mistook my trash can for an animal...

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 30
There is this one song I listen to that has something in the background at one point that sounds like a cell phone ringing. I never noticed it until I got my Grado's but now everytime I hear the song I think my cellphone is ringing and go to check my pocket just to realize it is the song.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 30
kanye west - late registration - gone

when i first got my se530 i listened to this track and was genuinly scared outta my wits when the bloke at the beggining started singing, it seriously sounded like he was next to me and it took me about 10 seconds of looking around to realise it was an astonishing effect i hadnt heard before with crap stereo speakers

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 30
Occasionally with headphones, but my ribbon speakers regularly freak me out. If I leave the radio on when I go out, sometimes when I come back a commercial will make it sound like there's someone in the house. Haven't called the police yet, though. The ribbons are fun - they usually freak out anyone who hasn't seen them before. Everyone wants to know where the sound is coming from.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Occasionally with headphones, but my ribbon speakers regularly freak me out. If I leave the radio on when I go out, sometimes when I come back a commercial will make it sound like there's someone in the house. Haven't called the police yet, though. The ribbons are fun - they usually freak out anyone who hasn't seen them before. Everyone wants to know where the sound is coming from.

i like the sound of most ribbon speakers/tweeters they do give a nice sound, thats another thread tho

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 30
A lot of English classical recordings are made in churches, and often you can hear trucks and traffic going by - sounds like it's right outside the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back