TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,806 of 3,867
Actually, I wouldnt worry the size affecting the soundstage a lot. Sony managed to keep the huge soundstage on the XBA-Z5 when they released the smaller XBA-N3 (both the drivers and physical size are smaller) albeit a little bit smaller but every other aspect got improved on it.

They did release the graph for the i3 Pro:
1628630015893.png
graph - 2021-08-10T231510.391.png

Thanks I was hoping for both of them to be the same coupler with the same parameters.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,807 of 3,867
Thanks I was hoping for both of them to be the same coupler with the same parameters.
Yeah I know. But I couldnt find any graphs by them on the original i3.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,809 of 3,867
Yeah. The i3 made my $900 RHA CL2 more or less obsolete.... The CL2 is much cheaper now but unless you really want a pure planar, I don't know why you'd pick it over the i3 other than fit.

Anyways speaking about RHA CL2 being obsolete, it seems RHA has folded: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rha-audio-bankrupt.958966/

This covid pandemic has really did a number on some boutique brands, since the audio hobby is considered "discretionary spending". I remember reading somewhere that Audiofly is also in trouble, and Sennheiser sold away its consumer audio wing.

CHIFI probably gives better price to performance ratio than the traditional boutique brands, so it is kind of a survival of fittest in a bad economic climate.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,810 of 3,867
Anyways speaking about RHA CL2 being obsolete, it seems RHA has folded: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rha-audio-bankrupt.958966/

This covid pandemic has really did a number on some boutique brands, since the audio hobby is considered "discretionary spending". I remember reading somewhere that Audiofly is also in trouble, and Sennheiser sold away its consumer audio wing.

CHIFI probably gives better price to performance ratio than the traditional boutique brands, so it is kind of a survival of fittest in a bad economic climate.
Doesn't surprise me. The CL2 was a great product.... But not something you can make a company out of. There are definitely some names I wouldn't mind seeing go down, because it would mean we get better gear at better prices.

@Igcubana has my Rah. Never was a huge fan of their sound. IMR may be on the aforementioned list.

Also, i3 pro is ordered and on the way.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #2,811 of 3,867
i3 pro ordered too. looking forward to it!

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #2,812 of 3,867
Well, I find the graph of i3. The first one is i3 and the next one is pro.

屏幕截图 2021-08-11 152033.png
0809i3pro.jpg

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #2,813 of 3,867
I will consider whether to order a i3 pro or not because my kbear believe is lost.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #2,814 of 3,867
I will try T1 this weekend and I can get a P10 because my friend can help me, so after I try them I will post what I like and their sounds.
Will you review the Tender I? Ansen told me it needs a powerful DAP or AMP for full potential. It's a hard to drive IEM. The only available reviews seems to be quite positive.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,815 of 3,867
I like the EST drivers when they're done well and subdued. The imaging is fantastic without the graininess I hear in lots of BAs. But I also wouldn't mind the planar taking the treble duties (and don't get me started on piezo). I do need a DD subwoofer though. Planar just doesn't slam like DD. And while capable, the original DD from the I3 does leave some room for improvement.... Maybe the smaller shell will help in that regard....
Fortunately the original i3‘s pros (overall sound signature and soundstage) greatly outweighs the few cons (oversized footprint & a touch under the basshead mark ) and I accept that they’re not an EDC candidate. Even if the DD was addressed for my greedy wants, I still wouldn’t want to pocket carry them, because of the finish.

Gotta admit that I’m at the point in my IEM trip that I’m avoiding small, incremental updates. I’ll sacrifice the $20 discount for your feedback and a few others (if they take the plunge)@baskingshark @RikudouGoku

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #2,816 of 3,867
Fortunately the original i3‘s pros (overall sound signature and soundstage) greatly outweighs the few cons (oversized footprint & a touch under the basshead mark ) and I accept that they’re not an EDC candidate. Even if the DD was addressed for my greedy wants, I still wouldn’t want to pocket carry them, because of the finish.

Gotta admit that I’m at the point in my IEM trip that I’m avoiding small, incremental updates. I’ll sacrifice the $20 discount for your feedback and a few others (if they take the plunge)@baskingshark @RikudouGoku

Welcome back @lgcubana !

Heard king @RikudouGoku is getting a set, so let's wait for his input!

BTW what is your current "endgame" at this point in your IEM trip? Yeah I do agree sometimes the multiple sidegrades will add up to a TOTL set soon enough.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #2,817 of 3,867

Yes, I am getting it (the Robin seems to have snuck into the package as well but who cares about that, we want the i3 pro haha). I have a feeling my Tin Hifi P1 is trembling in fear now lol.

Tons of stuff incoming for me. :joy:

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,818 of 3,867
Welcome back @lgcubana !

Heard king @RikudouGoku is getting a set, so let's wait for his input!

BTW what is your current "endgame" at this point in your IEM trip? Yeah I do agree sometimes the multiple sidegrades will add up to a TOTL set soon enough.
Thanks

I'm waiting on mDrop to ship out the Mangird Tea.

The one thing that I promised myself when I started this hobby was to avoid the money pit of DAPs and FLAC files; as this addresses my need to lighten my pocket carry and puts a hard ceiling on how far I can go into higher resolution IEMs.

I'll have to start thinning the herd soon, as the "mother box" is almost full. :ksc75smile:

jewelry case.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,819 of 3,867
Thanks

The one thing that I promised myself when I started this hobby was to avoid the money pit of DAPs and FLAC files; as this addresses my need to lighten my pocket carry and puts a hard ceiling on how far I can go into higher resolution IEMs.

I'll have to start thinning the herd soon, as the "mother box" is almost full. :ksc75smile:

jewelry case.jpg
That looks cool! A stash thats for sure.

It has been a while, good to hear from you.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #2,820 of 3,867
Thanks

jewelry case.jpg
That's a much better setup than mine, mine is more, "hide how many pairs I have from my wife" organized in a drawer in individual cases.... I hear the mangird xenns up is a really really good pair as well. I should try the tea too, but I feel like next time I pay myself, the xenns up will be coming my way since I'm going back into the office.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back