TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 9, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2,791 of 3,867
I am looking for the same product. But I just want a single planar. I don't think planar is a good combination with EST drivers, they are expensive and the sound of EST is not that nature, hope there will be a real planar flagship of TRI/KB
I like the EST drivers when they're done well and subdued. The imaging is fantastic without the graininess I hear in lots of BAs. But I also wouldn't mind the planar taking the treble duties (and don't get me started on piezo). I do need a DD subwoofer though. Planar just doesn't slam like DD. And while capable, the original DD from the I3 does leave some room for improvement.... Maybe the smaller shell will help in that regard....

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #2,792 of 3,867
I like the EST drivers when they're done well and subdued. The imaging is fantastic without the graininess I hear in lots of BAs. But I also wouldn't mind the planar taking the treble duties (and don't get me started on piezo). I do need a DD subwoofer though. Planar just doesn't slam like DD. And while capable, the original DD from the I3 does leave some room for improvement.... Maybe the smaller shell will help in that regard....
The other challenge of pairing a planar magnetic driver with electret drivers is the current requirements, as both like a considerable amount of it. Planar magnetic drivers that I've seen the raw specs for also tend to want to be crossed over at around 5kHz before their response deviates from their usual ruler-flat FR curve. This is a bit low for electrets to pick up from, as their impedance gets quite high below 7kHz, so they're really not great for lower treble performance. You would ideally want to bridge this with a midrange BA, which only further complicates matters. Of course, I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade a company from attempting a quad-brid, or would it be a tetra-brid? I don't really know which language root the community wants to use for that. The only other example I can think of is the MEST and MEST II, which feature bone conduction exciters along with DD, BA and EST.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #2,793 of 3,867
I am looking for the same product. But I just want a single planar. I don't think planar is a good combination with EST drivers, they are expensive and the sound of EST is not that nature, hope there will be a real planar flagship of TRI/KB
You could try the Toneking P10. Their graph looks quite nice for a single 10mm planar magnetic driver and the price isn't that far off from the raw drivers themselves at low unit volumes.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMhiVz5

Hopefully the link works. I'm on mobile and have had issues with AE links breaking from their app when I try to post them here.

Just don't expect a particularly strong bass slam out of a planar magnetic driver. These do have some bass and treble gain, which shows that Toneking really did try hard with their tuning, but it's just in the nature of planar magnetic drivers to not have quite the impact of a DD. Unfortunately, I don't have this particular set, so I can't give an account of it's performance.

Best of luck in your search!

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2,794 of 3,867
The other challenge of pairing a planar magnetic driver with electret drivers is the current requirements, as both like a considerable amount of it. Planar magnetic drivers that I've seen the raw specs for also tend to want to be crossed over at around 5kHz before their response deviates from their usual ruler-flat FR curve. This is a bit low for electrets to pick up from, as their impedance gets quite high below 7kHz, so they're really not great for lower treble performance. You would ideally want to bridge this with a midrange BA, which only further complicates matters. Of course, I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade a company from attempting a quad-brid, or would it be a tetra-brid? I don't really know which language root the community wants to use for that. The only other example I can think of is the MEST and MEST II, which feature bone conduction exciters along with DD, BA and EST.
they do need a amount of current, and mest and mest II are so expensive.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,795 of 3,867
You could try the Toneking P10. Their graph looks quite nice for a single 10mm planar magnetic driver and the price isn't that far off from the raw drivers themselves at low unit volumes.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMhiVz5

Hopefully the link works. I'm on mobile and have had issues with AE links breaking from their app when I try to post them here.

Just don't expect a particularly strong bass slam out of a planar magnetic driver. These do have some bass and treble gain, which shows that Toneking really did try hard with their tuning, but it's just in the nature of planar magnetic drivers to not have quite the impact of a DD. Unfortunately, I don't have this particular set, so I can't give an account of it's performance.

Best of luck in your search!
Thank you for your recommend, I will take a look and take a try if I can. I am considering dethonray T1 recently which have a single planar driver.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #2,796 of 3,867
I have my own TRI starlight and kbear believe. But I just lost my believe last week, my heart was broken, I want to kill myself

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #2,797 of 3,867
Thank you for your recommend, I will take a look and take a try if I can. I am considering dethonray T1 recently which have a single planar driver.
I think the Toneking P10 is one of the cheapest planar magnetic sets on the market at the moment, and they did at least do the decent thing of providing a graph in their listing. It took a bit of digging, but I did find a graph for the Dethonray Tender 1:

ed793628b945039ff19a8c1447c313331cf6d830_2_1035x447.png

compared to the graph for the Toneking P10:

H9704c623e2ee46a3a81a9c7a560a5fa25.jpg

Unfortunately, no third-party measurements of the Toneking P10, so prepare the amount of salt you feel appropriate for graphs from the manufacturer...

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2,798 of 3,867
I think the Toneking P10 is one of the cheapest planar magnetic sets on the market at the moment, and they did at least do the decent thing of providing a graph in their listing. It took a bit of digging, but I did find a graph for the Dethonray Tender 1:

ed793628b945039ff19a8c1447c313331cf6d830_2_1035x447.png

compared to the graph for the Toneking P10:

H9704c623e2ee46a3a81a9c7a560a5fa25.jpg

Unfortunately, no third-party measurements of the Toneking P10, so prepare the amount of salt you feel appropriate for graphs from the manufacturer...
I will try T1 this weekend and I can get a P10 because my friend can help me, so after I try them I will post what I like and their sounds.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,800 of 3,867
RHA CL2 is a very good set for a single 10mm planar, some people don't like the 8k peak, but eq fixes that easy. Most bass slam of any planar I've heard.... Very impressive speed, mids and imaging.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,801 of 3,867
RHA CL2 is a very good set for a single 10mm planar, some people don't like the 8k peak, but eq fixes that easy. Most bass slam of any planar I've heard.... Very impressive speed, mids and imaging.
I agree entirely! That is why I love the I3s. In my view they are not permanently bass heavy, but when the track calls for it....that visceral bass just speaks to me.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,802 of 3,867
I agree entirely! That is why I love the I3s. In my view they are not permanently bass heavy, but when the track calls for it....that visceral bass just speaks to me.
Yeah. The i3 made my $900 RHA CL2 more or less obsolete.... The CL2 is much cheaper now but unless you really want a pure planar, I don't know why you'd pick it over the i3 other than fit.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,803 of 3,867
Yeah. The i3 made my $900 RHA CL2 more or less obsolete.... The CL2 is much cheaper now but unless you really want a pure planar, I don't know why you'd pick it over the i3 other than fit.
A bit "ouch" though to make $900 redundant! I hope your Rah are still worth listening to.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,805 of 3,867
Same drivers, smaller enclosure, nicer cable, some retuning.... I can't help but feel a bit disappointed honestly but it makes sense as a "pro" model. Hopefully the sound is better but the sound of the i3 was fantastic and probably can't be hugely upgraded with the same drivers. I also worry about the soundstage and imaging taking a hit with the smaller shell....
Actually, I wouldnt worry the size affecting the soundstage a lot. Sony managed to keep the huge soundstage on the XBA-Z5 when they released the smaller XBA-N3 (both the drivers and physical size are smaller) albeit a little bit smaller but every other aspect got improved on it.

@WendyLi

Do you have a graph of both the i3 and i3 pro?
I might grab the i3 pro and I have not tried the non pro model.
They did release the graph for the i3 Pro:
1628630015893.png

graph - 2021-08-10T231510.391.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back