TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,576 of 3,867
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,577 of 3,867
Listen to this on the Starsea. Wonderful separation on the vocals, lovely sax timbre and great bass line in the bridge. Above all a feel good piece of 50s kitsch!

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,579 of 3,867
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,586 of 3,867
@WendyLi Another set would make it 3 for me :relaxed:

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,587 of 3,867
I know it's a bit of apples and oranges, but can anyone compare I3 with Starlight. I love my I3 but at times wish for a bit more treble extension...but not too the point of sibilance or fatigue. Would welcome a comparison of these 2 TRI IEM's from one who has or has heard both. Thanks!

As you said, apples 🍎 and oranges 🍊 indeed but they both have their moments.

Source: Samsung Note 10 plus paired with Fiio BTR5.

TRI I3 - Dunu DUW02 cable, 2.5mm balanced plug and white Tin Audio tips. Requires power- volume max on Note 10 and BTR5 set to 30.

In short - Big dark sound with deliciously lush mids and a sprinkling of highs. Sub-bass bias, just the right amount of potent bass (making it a darker sound) and great soundstage.

You know that feeling when you walk into a cinema hall (movie theatre to our American friends) that surround sound...and even more that sub-bass that envelopes you. That is my perception of the TRI I3 with good amplification. It is visceral sub-bass done correctly, just as the director (of the film (movie) wants you to feel as though you are there with the woman playing the piano in the forest, in the film, "The Piano". That sub-bass dictates the sound signature of the TRI I3, in my view.

TRI Starlight - IMR copper cable, 2.5mm balanced plug and Misodiko silicone sheathed foam tips. Requires even more power, but rewards you the more you can take - volume max on Note 10 and 38 on BTR5.

In short - detail, detail and detail. Clarity, imaging, good sound stage and above all timbral accuracy.

Bass is as recorded, no added bass, texture is excellent. Mids are forward, generous and fruity (in other words whole) sounds like everything the singer or instrument does is revealed through the speakers on the Starlights. Highs....boy oh boy! Details abound, just imagine lying in an open field looking at the stars on a clear, cloudless night with no light pollution, and with 20/20 vision as far as your eyes can see, the stars twinkle. Some give you a bright stream of uninterrupted light, others flicker, all of a sudden, in amongst the others, one pops up there and then another elsewhere, and again and again...you think to yourself I thought I had seen it all and then there is some more. That is the auditory equivalent you get in the Starlights. There are great earphones and some may give you more in bass or more mids, maybe even more highs but in my view the TRI Starlight tuning gives you such delightful realism, you could be amongst the musicians.

If you have them handy, indulge me and put your TRI I3s into your ears for this song. Here is what I hear.

MELODY GARDOT AND STING -
A Little Something.

TRI I3s - Sting sings in his unique drying but melodic voice, he sings....."I want to figure you ouuuuut" and at that point - 31 seconds - the sub-bass kicks in on the TRI I3. Now that is what I love about them. They give that wonderful full dark sound to the song.

TRI Starlights - Detail... everything is just there in harmony and Stings voice sounds less deep and more realistic without losing any of its glorious melodic tones. Above all, when they weave their voices together it is just exhilarating. At 1min.4secs, the sound quietens down, and the guitarist picks a couple of notes and repeats them, then silence, the Starlights just take you there.

Just my point of view. I hope that gives you a helpful comparison of the TRI I3s and the TRI Starlights.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,588 of 3,867
As you said, apples 🍎 and oranges 🍊 indeed but they both have their moments.

Source: Samsung Note 10 plus paired with Fiio BTR5.

TRI I3 - Dunu DUW02 cable, 2.5mm balanced plug and white Tin Audio tips. Requires power- volume max on Note 10 and BTR5 set to 30.

In short - Big dark sound with deliciously lush mids and a sprinkling of highs. Sub-bass bias, just the right amount of potent bass (making it a darker sound) and great soundstage.

You know that feeling when you walk into a cinema hall (movie theatre to our American friends) that surround sound...and even more that sub-bass that envelopes you. That is my perception of the TRI I3 with good amplification. It is visceral sub-bass done correctly, just as the director (of the film (movie) wants you to feel as though you are there with the woman playing the piano in the forest, in the film, "The Piano". That sub-bass dictates the sound signature of the TRI I3, in my view.

TRI Starlight - IMR copper cable, 2.5mm balanced plug and Misodiko silicone sheathed foam tips. Requires even more power, but rewards you the more you can take - volume max on Note 10 and 38 on BTR5.

In short - detail, detail and detail. Clarity, imaging, good sound stage and above all timbral accuracy.

Bass is as recorded, no added bass, texture is excellent. Mids are forward, generous and fruity (in other words whole, sounds like everything the singer or instrument does is revealed through the speakers on the Starlights. Highs....boy oh boy! Details abound, just imagine lying in an open field looking at the stars on a clear, cloudless night with no light pollution, and with 20/20 vision as far as your eyes can see, the stars twinkle. Some give you a bright stream of uninterrupted light, others flicker, all of a sudden, in amongst the others, one pops up there and then another elsewhere, and again and again...you think to yourself I thought I had seen it all and then there is some more. That is the auditory equivalent you get in the Starlights. There are great earphones and some may give you more in bass or more mids, maybe even more highs but in my view the TRI Starlight tuning gives you such delightful realism, you could be amongst the musicians.

If you have them handy, indulge me and put your TRI I3s into your ears for this one song. Here is what I hear.

MELODY GARDOT AND STING -
A Little Something.

TRI I3s - Sting sings in his unique drying but melodic voice, he sings....."I want to figure you ouuuuut" and at that point - 31 seconds - the sub-bass kicks in on the TRI I3. Now that is what I love about them. They give that wonderful full dark sound to the song.

TRI Starlights - Detail... everything is just there in harmony and Stings voice sounds less deep and more realistic without losing any of its glorious melodic tones. Above all, when they weave their voices together it is just exhilarating. At the sound quietens down, and the guitarist picks a couple of notes and repeats them, then silence, the Starlights just take you there.

Just my point of view. I hope that gives you a helpful comparison of the TRI I3s and the TRI Starlights.

Great use of language Chris. Like good seasoning, makes everything taste better including music. Found this track on Tidal Masters.....so out came my TRi i3. Great track. Great duet, like a Tango. The i3 is made for voices. After the track finished it started to play a Katie Melua Master....sounded complex and emotional too. Great IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,589 of 3,867
I finally found the right fit for the TRI I3, it drove me crazy, I almost gave it up.

I had tried Spinfits, Spiral dots, normal and inverted KZ starlines and all the stock ones I had. It always sounded bad, either too bloated and muffled or too small and thin and lacking in bass.

IMG-20201208-153310.jpg

2mm O ring and red gray stock tip size M - I usually use L.

With the Blon I didn't have so much difficulty finding the right tip and seal, this thing is really subjective.

Perhaps this is the first time since I have the TRI I3 that they are sounding really good to my ears.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,590 of 3,867
@WendyLi I am not sure we're all posting at the right time but I don't want to miss out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back