TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #571 of 3,867
I think I also have small ears, although I have not tried measuring them against other people's ears 🤔

More importantly, in spite of the size of the TRI I3 ear pieces, I have not read or heard of a single complaint relating to fit. They are very comfortable and have good isolation.

My guess is that if you don't like them because of how they fit someone would buy them off you.
Thanks @ChrisOc, that's helpful and reassuring. Last question is whether they protrude much out from canal, precluding sleeping with them in which I do at times w/IEM's.

In any case, tomorrow is Labor day holiday here in US, doubt this will lead to any sales on these imported beauties but if not I'll just order from AliExpress and the wait will begin.

I lied, I do have one more question. :ksc75smile: Considering an MMCX to 2.5 TRRS cable to run them balanced from my FiiO BTR5....NICEHCK C16-5 or KBear Rhyme...has anyone tried one or both?

Sep 5, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #572 of 3,867
Thanks @ChrisOc, that's helpful and reassuring. Last question is whether they protrude much out from canal, precluding sleeping with them in which I do at times w/IEM's.

In any case, tomorrow is Labor day holiday here in US, doubt this will lead to any sales on these imported beauties but if not I'll just order from AliExpress and the wait will begin.

I lied, I do have one more question. :ksc75smile: Considering an MMCX to 2.5 TRRS cable to run them balanced from my FiiO BTR5....NICEHCK C16-5 or KBear Rhyme...has anyone tried one or both?

There is no way you can sleep with the i3 parked in your ear. They stick out so much. Consider Tanchjim HANA / Oxygen if you need something that sits near flush to your ears.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #573 of 3,867

Q: Do they protrude so as to preclude sleeping with them in?

A:They fit flush with the inner part of my outer ear, in other words fairly flush. You will certainly be conscious of them when sleeping in them. That is not to say they would preclude sleeping in them, just that their presence will be noticeable....not stealthy.

Q:Has anyone tried either cable?

A:Not me. I have slowly (and wallet-achingly) started working towards replacing my cables with ones that I can switch plugs on for the simple reason that I use FIIO BTR5, FIIO M11 balanced outputs 2.5mm and 4.4mm, and I enjoy using my IEMs with an amp occasionally....Great sound in most cases (just take care not to destroy your beloved IEMs with too much power).

With BTR5 and M11 2.5mm is fine for switching, but most amplifiers and certainly mine, require 6.3mm jacks, which (as far as I am aware) can adapt to a 3.5mm plug but not 2.5mm or 4.4mm. It is for these reasons of convenience that I prefer the interchangeable plugs systems, Dunu, Fiio and more coming on to the market, as much as I eye those beautiful cables, I don't use the fixed plugs if I can avoid them.
ATTACH=full]3693915[/ATTACH]
20200819_131216.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #574 of 3,867
Arrived today: TRI i3. Quick listen: WOW!
IMG_20200905_190411.jpg

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #575 of 3,867

I did this just last night (falling asleep with them in my ears)... I have small-medium sized ears if that helps...

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #576 of 3,867
With BTR5 and M11 2.5mm is fine for switching, but most amplifiers and certainly mine, require 6.3mm jacks, which (as far as I am aware) can adapt to a 3.5mm plug but not 2.5mm or 4.4mm. It is for these reasons of convenience that I prefer the interchangeable plugs systems, Dunu, Fiio and more coming on to the market, as much as I eye those beautiful cables, I don't use the fixed plugs if I can avoid them.
ATTACH=full]3693915[/ATTACH]
Thanks @ChrisOc! I just acquire the BTR5...what a sweet, versatile device. I definitely find the 2.5mm balanced output better with my other IEM's, and it still only puts our 240 mW so don't think I'll damage the TRI I3. :smile_phones:

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #577 of 3,867
I did this just last night (falling asleep with them in my ears)... I have small-medium sized ears if that helps...
Thanks @shampoosuicide, that's reassuring. I did just go forward with my TRI I3 order from GearBest, flash sale for $147, and a a 2.5mm balanced NICEHCK C16-5 from EBay. Both should take 4-6 weeks to reach me in US. Until then I'll be content with my BTR5 --> Shozy Form 1.1 for portable listening to complement my sweet desktop rig. The wait begins. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #578 of 3,867
Thanks @shampoosuicide, that's reassuring. I did just go forward with my TRI I3 order from GearBest, flash sale for $147, and a a 2.5mm balanced NICEHCK C16-5 from EBay. Both should take 4-6 weeks to reach me in US. Until then I'll be content with my BTR5 --> Shozy Form 1.1 for portable listening to complement my sweet desktop rig. The wait begins. :ksc75smile:

You're in for a treat alright :)

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #579 of 3,867
Some early impressions on the i3:
Wonderful soundstage, separation and layering. Sub bass very impressive too. Mids open and very clear, treble very extended and clean, creating an atmosphere like Swiss mountain air! Details very easy to hear and excellent coherence between the three different drivers.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #580 of 3,867
Some early impressions on the i3:
Wonderful soundstage, separation and layering. Sub bass very impressive too. Mids open and very clear, treble very extended and clean, creating an atmosphere like Swiss mountain air! Details very easy to hear and excellent coherence between the three different drivers.
Burn in really means something on the TRi i3. Whether it's brain burn in or empirical burn in, these i3s sound beautiful. Maybe it's the planar that becomes so sweet. Maybe it's the DD opening up. Maybe the BA is doing something. Je ne sais quoi...but something is going on.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #581 of 3,867
Finally got my Tri i3 and intial listen using Fiio M11 on 4.4mm balanced is impressive.
Tri i3 on SE sounds nothing special but on balanced it's a amazing.
This is by the way my first experience with planar.
Those two sounds really close IMO just the H40 slightly has better extension on the treble department with more details and sparkle.
Also the H40's subbass has more impact and rumble but they're are not basshead level monitors. Bass are well controlled, tight and not bloated at all.
While the Tri i3 really shines with the 4.4mm balanced out and can say the details on the mids is slightly better on i3 and it's built like a tank.
Not too technical to give detailed comparison but I guess both are equally good at their own different ways.
Owning both seems a sidegrade but it's better to have both on my iem collection.

Attachments

• 20200907_165248.jpg
    20200907_165248.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200907_160022.jpg
    20200907_160022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #582 of 3,867
Finally got my Tri i3 and intial listen using Fiio M11 on 4.4mm balanced is impressive.
Tri i3 on SE sounds nothing special but on balanced it's a amazing.
This is by the way my first experience with planar.
Those two sounds really close IMO just the H40 slightly has better extension on the treble department with more details and sparkle.
Also the H40's subbass has more impact and rumble but they're are not basshead level monitors. Bass are well controlled, tight and not bloated at all.
While the Tri i3 really shines with the 4.4mm balanced out and can say the details on the mids is slightly better on i3 and it's built like a tank.
Not too technical to give detailed comparison but I guess both are equally good at their own different ways.
Owning both seems a sidegrade but it's better to have both as part of my iem collection.

What cable is that? Is that pure silver or spc?

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #584 of 3,867
Sep 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #585 of 3,867
The one on i3 looks nice
Thanks. Yeah it's softer than the stiff stock cable of the H40s.
By the way, @DynamicEars thanks for your advice when I pm'ed you the idea of getting the i3.
Also for sharing the mod removing the dampener mesh behind the nozzle grill on both the H40 and i3.
The mod really made a huge difference and better listening experience.
Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back