TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 16, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #1,321 of 3,867
Arrived today, TRI Starsea.
IMG_20201116_095006.jpg

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,322 of 3,867
I have just put the Starsea on burn-in with standard switch setting. Early days, I know but the separation and layering are immediately apparent. Nicely balanced with just a lift in the upper mids/lower treble and very detailed. I did find that there are no instructions for the tuning switches in the packaging which is otherwise exemplary. Very deluxe presentation and lots of accessories. More to come.

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,326 of 3,867
I have now had 10 days with the TRI Starseas.

These were really difficult IEMs to come to grips with. I have more than one IEM with multiple tuning options, so the process of tuning in itself was not the issue for me. I use the term "come to grips with" to cover all sins, such burn-in, tips, tuning and specific genres.

Why I say all that cryptic nonsense above is quite simple.....for some time, I did not know if I liked the TRI Starseas or not, until I had burnt them in. I changed tips, tried different genres, and cables trying to get them to "wake up". Then it all came together and I am still not sure whether this was entirely burn-in, or brain burn, as @dharmasteve referred to it. I sometimes really liked what I heard and other times I was not so sure.

Eventually, I have to say, I really like what I hear so much that I just kept wondering why sell them for so little. These are incredibly good IEMs. What strikes me most is the detail retrieval on these. They deliver wonderful micro details, contrast and clarity. Yes, they do not have the same timbral accuracy or soundstage as the Starlights as they use Knowles BAs and TRI's own BAs as opposed to Sonion Electrostatic tweeters and Sonion BAs to get to those heights that many IEMs cannot reach and they do so without the slightest strain, sibilance or distortion. For the record, I could not replicate @SciOC's high volume distortion but I hope it resolved itself.

TRI has produced one hell of a BA tweeter that gives clean and detailed highs which would have been topping the market if the Sonion drivers did not exist. All this without mentioning bass once. Well, the quality and quantity of the bass is just delightful. Despite it leaning towards monitoring and I would maintain that they are a solid reference set, the bass is no slouch, it is rich and potent. Mids are very well implemented as well.

My preferred setting is the "amazing bass" setting and on that setting nothing was dry or clinical despite the details being delivered, it was not excessively smooth either.

All I want to say is that when the Starseas eventually "clicked" for me, everything sounded so good. If you like your details, buy a pair, borrow a pair or steal a pair, just get them. A year ago IEMs this good would have been in the £300 to £500 range (some still sell for that sort of price) and we would want them, now we have them for so little, it would be silly to ignore them.

Just be patient with them, the brilliant sound will come to you. Persistence pays off with these IEMs.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,327 of 3,867

These were really difficult IEMs to come to grips with. I have more than one IEM with multiple tuning options, so the process of tuning in itself was not the issue for me. I use the term "come to grips with" to cover all sins, such burn-in, tips, tuning and specific genres.

Why I say all that cryptic nonsense above is quite simple.....for some time, I did not know if I liked the TRI Starseas or not, until I had burnt them in. I changed tips, tried different genres, and cables trying to get them to "wake up". Then it all came together and I am still not sure whether this was entirely burn-in, or brain burn, as @dharmasteve referred to it. I sometimes really liked what I heard and other times I was not so sure.

Eventually, I have to say, I really like what I hear so much that I just kept wondering why sell them for so little. These are incredibly good IEMs. What strikes me most is the detail retrieval on these. They deliver wonderful micro details, contrast and clarity. Yes, they do not have the same timbral accuracy or soundstage as the Starlights as they use Knowles BAs and TRI's own BAs as opposed to Sonion Electrostatic tweeters and Sonion BAs to get to those heights that many IEMs cannot reach and they do so without the slightest strain, sibilance or distortion. For the record, I could not replicate @SciOC's high volume distortion but I hope it resolved itself.

TRI has produced one hell of a BA tweeter that gives clean and detailed highs which would have been topping the market if the Sonion drivers did not exist. All this without mentioning bass once. Well, the quality and quantity of the bass is just delightful. Despite it leaning towards monitoring and I would maintain that they are a solid reference set, the bass is no slouch, it is rich and potent. Mids are very well implemented as well.

My preferred setting is the "amazing bass" setting and on that setting nothing was dry or clinical despite the details being delivered, it was not excessively smooth either.

All I want to say is that when the Starseas eventually "clicked" for me, everything sounded so good. If you like your details, buy a pair, borrow a pair or steal a pair, just get them. A year ago IEMs this good would have been in the £300 to £500 range (some still sell for that sort of price) and we would want them, now we have them for so little, it would be silly to ignore them.

Just be patient with them, the brilliant sound will come to you. Persistence pays off with these IEMs.
TRi are such an interesting brand. The TRi Starlight is simply the best sounding IEM I have ever heard. The TRi i3 and TRi Starsea are in some ways opposites to each other. The i3 focuses on lovely Planar mids and bass, the Starsea on forward vocals and prominent highs and details. The i3 are magical in that amazing DD, Planar, BA setup...genius. The Starsea take quite some brain burn in as they are a reference sound, but I'm addicted to them as I get to know them. In a week or so I'll have the TRi i4 and if they sound like the reviewers say, then TRi will have produced four totally different sounding IEMs. That is quite an amazing thing.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,328 of 3,867
TRi are such an interesting brand. The TRi Starlight is simply the best sounding IEM I have ever heard. The TRi i3 and TRi Starsea are in some ways opposites to each other. The i3 focuses on lovely Planar mids and bass, the Starsea on forward vocals and prominent highs and details. The i3 are magical in that amazing DD, Planar, BA setup...genius. The Starsea take quite some brain burn in as they are a reference sound, but I'm addicted to them as I get to know them. In a week or so I'll have the TRi i4 and if they sound like the reviewers say, then TRi will have produced four totally different sounding IEMs. That is quite an amazing thing.
I am so enamoured with the tri3 , I have no option but to try the starsea. If they are even half as good as the i3 I will be very happy!

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,329 of 3,867
I am so enamoured with the tri3 , I have no option but to try the starsea. If they are even half as good as the i3 I will be very happy!

They are different sounding.

I view the TRI I3 as the rotund extroverted big brother who is warm and outgoing, whereas the TRI Starsea is the skinny, introverted and shy younger brother, who quietly aces all the exams and is very intelligent and knowledgeable. The TRI Starsea is the more technical IEM with a "reference" sound, with more versatility due to the 4 tuning switches, whereas the TRI I3 is the one with the bigger and lusher and grander sound, especially in the area of soundstage (when amped). Different strokes for different folks, there’ll be fans who will be drawn to both tunings, they bring different things to the table and are complimentary rather than competing IEMs.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,330 of 3,867

I view the TRI I3 as the rotund extroverted big brother who is warm and outgoing, whereas the TRI Starsea is the skinny, introverted and shy younger brother, who quietly aces all the exams and is very intelligent and knowledgeable. The TRI Starsea is the more technical IEM with a "reference" sound, with more versatility due to the 4 tuning switches, whereas the TRI I3 is the one with the bigger and lusher and grander sound, especially in the area of soundstage (when amped). Different strokes for different folks, there’ll be fans who will be drawn to both tunings, they bring different things to the table and are complimentary rather than competing IEMs.
I read your review of the starsea . As usual very detailed and articulate. You are one of the best reviewers in the game so I value your opinion ! They are a good deal cheaper so I'm not expecting the grandiose bombastic nature of the i3. Hopefully they are better than the Legacy 3 , which I liked a lot at first but grew weary of them surprisingly quickly.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #1,331 of 3,867

Well said, sir!

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,332 of 3,867

I am still burning in and have only used the balanced setting so far but what you have experienced sounds very similar to what I am hearing. Initially there was a bit of emphasis in the upper mids/lower treble which could be sharp but that seems to have reduced (brain burn in?). Also bass has improved. The i3 has up to now been my best IEM but the Starsea is coming up on the rails!

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #1,333 of 3,867
I view the TRI I3 as the rotund extroverted big brother who is warm and outgoing, whereas the TRI Starsea is the skinny, introverted and shy younger brother, who quietly aces all the exams and is very intelligent and knowledgeable.

But how would they be as girlfriends? :p

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #1,334 of 3,867

If we are using our Greek Gods as metaphors for the TRi i3 and Starsea. I see the TRi i3 as Zeus like, in size and even, as you say, it's outgoing character. I see the Starsea as like Appollo, clean, lean but athletic and musical. I was totally absorbed by Greek Mythology as a young man and pursued the Gods and Heroes through Greece and the Greek Islands and even into Turkey. My fascination with mythology has stayed with me even to these my twilight years. The TRi i3 announces itself immediately as the great one, but the Starsea shows it's wonders to those who show respect, give time, and make offerings to the oracle.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #1,335 of 3,867
I am still burning in and have only used the balanced setting so far but what you have experienced sounds very similar to what I am hearing. Initially there was a bit of emphasis in the upper mids/lower treble which could be sharp but that seems to have reduced (brain burn in?). Also bass has improved. The i3 has up to now been my best IEM but the Starsea is coming up on the rails!

I ended up using the stock single ended cable and the white tips that came with the Tin T2 Plus.

My reasoning is that in the Starsea you have a highly precise instrument to give you pin-point clarity and detail. By adding or taking away anything (with foam tips, conical shaped tips etc.) you risk distortion.

You also increase volume using a balanced cable on the Starseas which are easy to push. Just as you would amplify your voice on a conical shape such as a megaphone (no electronics) by initially restricting the sound (at the mouth piece) and then projecting that sound in a limited and defined space, hence amplification.

By avoiding any additions or subtractions you get what the person tuning intended and no distortion, in my view.

I hope this does not sound like gibberish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back