TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #3,421 of 3,867
I have to agree with you. The tuning on the Starlight is quite special but it is not for everything or for everyone. Burning it in has also benefitted in taming the treble for me and I now love it even more. It is such a revealing iem and it really pairs well with the iFi Hip Dac 2.
I agree with you and @kin HGD, the Starlights are special, but not for everyday or everyone. They are incredibly revealing and precise which sometimes demands your attention but there are times when you just want to hear everything and at those times the Starlights are just right and I do not want to take them out. At other times you just want your music to relax you so your mind just floats away.

That is why we are in this hobby and most of us have multiple sets.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,422 of 3,867
Love this setup:beyersmile:

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_210848~2.jpg
    IMG_20211125_210848~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #3,424 of 3,867
IMG_20211125_213514-01.jpegIMG_20211125_213408-01.jpegIMG_20211125_213352-01.jpegIMG_20211125_213902-01.jpegIMG_20211125_205250-01.jpegIMG_20211125_205803-01.jpegIMG_20211125_205658-01.jpeg

Just received the Tri TK-2 Dac/Amp big thanks to @WendyLi & TRI Audio for doing a review tour in Bangladesh 🇧🇩

Full review and comparison with Hiby R5 Saber & Shanling M3X daps coming soon 😊

For now having fun stacking the TK-2 with my Hiby R5s 🔥
I just ordered a Tri TK-2, very excited! 2 quick questions for @WendyLi or others here on the thread:
  1. Where can I download a Windows 10/11 USB driver if I need one? I use special software that works best with a ASIO driver for the DAC.
  2. Can I use just one USB-C cable from my PC that charges the unit when not in use, then switch it over to the data port for listening sessions?
Thanks, looking forward to joining the TK-2 family. I already own a Tri I3 (original) which is one of my favorite IEM's and a great value.

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #3,425 of 3,867
I just ordered a Tri TK-2, very excited! 2 quick questions for @WendyLi or others here on the thread:
  1. Where can I download a Windows 10/11 USB driver if I need one? I use special software that works best with a ASIO driver for the DAC.
  2. Can I use just one USB-C cable from my PC that charges the unit when not in use, then switch it over to the data port for listening sessions?
Thanks, looking forward to joining the TK-2 family. I already own a Tri I3 (original) which is one of my favorite IEM's and a great value.
Hello mate my Windows 11 did not need any additional drivers it automatically detected and installed drivers for the TK-2 although initially I was having some issues but once I uninstalled/installed the drivers all issues were resolved. I read in the manual that Windows 10 should automatically detect the driver as well. The manual mentioned you need Foobar for DSD playback support in Windows while I did install Foobar I don't know the configuration settings to enable DSD playback. Maybe Miss @WendyLi can guide us here.

As for your second question yes you can charge the device and also listen to music at the same time. I am using one of the type-c ports to connect it to my PC while using the dedicated charging port with an external charger.

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #3,426 of 3,867
My KBEAR/TRI order just came in
20211126_145851_HDR.jpg

Sadly it missing a cable that I've ordered. But otherwise I'm quite happy with everything.

Due to work I haven't had any time to try things yet but I can't wait untill tonight.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,430 of 3,867
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #3,431 of 3,867
@ChrisOc , looking forward to your impressions, as well :)

@RCracer777 , looking forward to your impressions, too, from the Aurora! Especially on how it handles the bass!

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3,432 of 3,867
Initial Impressions of the TK-2

For those considering getting the TK-2 during the sales, these are my initial impressions.

Build
This is a well dressed tank! It not only looks solid, it feels solid and looks great to boot (to my eyes). The weight given by TRI is, 280g, which must be at the top end of portable DAC/Amps and even "transportable" DAPs. My guess is most of us would have the TK-2 tucked away in a bag or jacket when using it out and about, so the weight is more reassuring in terms of perceived quality, rather than a burden.

In terms of size, by most parameters, it is medium size. That is until you consider the thickness and in that regard it is quite thick but, thankfully it does not feel unwieldy. It is about half an inch shorter than the HA11, which is wider still but not quite as thick. The Fiio M11 is the same height but slightly thinner and wider than the TK-2, while the Littlebear B4X is the same thickness but shorter and narrower. I hope the picture helps to give you an idea of size.

Screenshot_20211128-145137_Gallery.jpg

Picture - From left to right: HA FEE HA11; TRI TK-2; Fiio M11; Littlebear B4X; Fiio BTR5 and IKKO Zerda ITM01. TRI earphone case for further reference.

Ease of use
In relation to ease of use, the TK-2 is well thought through, everything seems to be easily accessible and it does not require much getting used to, in or out of the pocket. My one criticism is that there is no battery meter, although it has a battery indicator (for on/off and low battery). However, I have not had to charge it for 6 hours and (I do not know how much charge it had out of the box) it seems to be marching on quite well, having used it at various volumes for testing, so battery life test is for the future. I see no reason why the battery meter should be a deal breaker, if battery life is 9 hours as claimed.

You get the full compliment of output connections, while input is USB C, with separate USB C charging which allows for charging while in use. You also get high and low gain which switches off at higher volumes to manage volume levels. The volume knob is smooth and a joy to use, increments in volume are gradual not in leaps.

Sound Quality
My testing tells me the TK-2 is about as neutral as you can get. At this stage of testing I get the impression that the TRI TK-2 has not been given any flavouring for additional bass, treble or mid focus. What is clearly noticeable is that every you (at least what I) thought about the particular earphone or headphone comes to the fore. A bassy set will display those tendencies in abundance, while a trebly set will let you know what treble is and so far. You neither get sibilance on the treble end nor flabbiness on the low end.

I tested, the Ikko OH1S (review to come soon) and true to form, clarity, resolution and detail retrieval to make you feel you upgraded your system.

The IMR Aten, tons of well defined bass, while rendering reassuring sub-bass. The piezos also giving as good as the Aten dynamic drivers, you get good details on a solid base of bass.

Shozy SCB2 (review to follow) great quality bass, with vibrating earpieces (I am serious the earpieces vibrate as the sub-bass is rendered) and with good mids and treble. You also get very good timbral accuracy, pianos pieces are so realistic.

TRI Starseas on bass setting, goes to good depths whilst living up to its moniker, "mini U12T" in its resolution and detail retrieval across the frequency spectrum.

So far, so good, but enough for now, more to come after further testing.

Disclosure
The TK-2 was sent to me by KBEAR/TRI as a part of a European Review Tour and will be forwarded to next reviewer in due course. However, all opinions are my own, without influence.

As always, Enjoy your music!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #3,433 of 3,867

For those considering getting the TK-2 during the sales, these are my initial impressions.

Build
This is a well dressed tank! It not only looks solid, it feels solid and looks great to boot (to my eyes). The weight given by TRI is, 280g, which must be at the top end of portable DAC/Amps and even "transportable" DAPs. My guess is most of us would have the TK-2 tucked away in a bag or jacket when using it out and about, so the weight is more reassuring in terms of perceived quality, rather than a burden.

In terms of size, by most parameters, it is medium size. That is until you consider the thickness and in that regard it is quite thick but, thankfully it does not feel unwieldy. It is about half an inch shorter than the HA11, which is wider still but not quite as thick. The Fiio M11 is the same height but slightly thinner and wider than the TK-2, while the Littlebear B4X is the same thickness but shorter and narrower. I hope the picture helps to give you an idea of size.

Picture - From left to right: HA FEE HA11; TRI TK-2; Fiio M11; Littlebear B4X; Fiio BTR5 and IKKO Zerda ITM01. TRI earphone case for further reference.

Ease of use
In relation to ease of use, the TK-2 is well thought through, everything seems to be easily accessible and it does not require much getting used to, in or out of the pocket. My one criticism is that there is no battery meter, although it has a battery indicator (for on/off and low battery). However, I have not had to charge it for 6 hours and (I do not know how much charge it had out of the box) it seems to be marching on quite well, having used it at various volumes for testing, so battery life test is for the future. I see no reason why the battery meter should be a deal breaker, if battery life is 9 hours as claimed.

You get the full compliment of output connections, while input is USB C, with separate USB C charging which allows for charging while in use. You also get high and low gain which switches off at higher volumes to manage volume levels. The volume knob is smooth and a joy to use, increments in volume are gradual not in leaps.

Sound Quality
My testing tells me the TK-2 is about as neutral as you can get. At this stage of testing I get the impression that the TRI TK-2 has not been given any flavouring for additional bass, treble or mid focus. What is clearly noticeable is that every you (at least what I) thought about the particular earphone or headphone comes to the fore. A bassy set will display those tendencies in abundance, while a trebly set will let you know what treble is and so far. You neither get sibilance on the treble end nor flabbiness on the low end.

I tested, the Ikko OH1S (review to come soon) and true to form, clarity, resolution and detail retrieval to make you feel you upgraded your system.

The IMR Aten, tons of well defined bass, while rendering reassuring sub-bass. The piezos also giving as good as the Aten dynamic drivers, you get good details on a solid base of bass.

Shozy SCB2 (review to follow) great quality bass, with vibrating earpieces (I am serious the earpieces vibrate as the sub-bass is rendered) and with good mids and treble. You also get very good timbral accuracy, pianos pieces are so realistic.

TRI Starseas on bass setting, goes to good depths whilst living up to its moniker, "mini U12T" in its resolution and detail retrieval across the frequency spectrum.

Disclosure
The TK-2 was sent to me by KBEAR/TRI as a part of a European Review Tour and will be forwarded to next reviewer in due course. However, all opinions are my own, without influence.

Appreciate the quick first impressions Chris.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #3,434 of 3,867

Build

Ease of use

Sound Quality

Disclosure

Awesome impressions, I am properly hyped for my unit which will arrive in the coming week.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,435 of 3,867

[snip!]
Thanks for the visual comparison. Very useful.
You may want to check if the charging circuit causes any interference on the outputs with sensitive earphones connected. Sometimes connecting a charger causes hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back