TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #3,166 of 3,867
If it has a similar interface to the KAEI HP-100 which is likely, it will have two ports.

H61c267c45e44410980370315364e0fc7x.jpg

Just wondering about a Hi-Lo switch for gain.
@Poganin, it would appear that there are two separate type C inputs one for charging, the other for decoding, given it can be charged while in use. Which is similar to the KAEI HP 100.

I am not sure if that is similar to the Hip-dac or not.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #3,168 of 3,867
@Poganin, it would appear that there are two separate type C inputs one for charging, the other for decoding, given it can be charged while in use. Which is similar to the KAEI HP 100.

I am not sure if that is similar to the Hip-dac or not.
The hip-dac operates only from battery power, meaning that if you connect it to your PC via USB-A, it only takes the audio data over that connection, unlike, say, the BTR5, which takes both power and data over just one USB-C. The hip-dac has a separate charging circuit, similar to what this device will have, so I am wondering if it's going to work the same way, essentially necessitating two separate connections for power and data in desktop mode, not unlike a regular desktop DAC/AMP.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,169 of 3,867
The hip-dac operates only from battery power, meaning that if you connect it to your PC via USB-A, it only takes the audio data over that connection, unlike, say, the BTR5, which takes both power and data over just one USB-C. The hip-dac has a separate charging circuit, similar to what this device will have, so I am wondering if it's going to work the same way, essentially necessitating two separate connections for power and data in desktop mode, not unlike a regular desktop DAC/AMP.
I see your point. You may be right. I had the impression that the power unit being separate from the data connection was an indication of separation of the two functions, as you have on the NX4. You might be right that it is more like the Hip-dac. Hopefully not.

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,171 of 3,867
TRI i3 Pro arrived today. Will begin burning and listening tomorrow.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,172 of 3,867
I see your point. You may be right. I had the impression that the power unit being separate from the data connection was an indication of separation of the two functions, as you have on the NX4. You might be right that it is more like the Hip-dac. Hopefully not.
2 separate USB-C ports for data / charging may be a deal breaker for me...

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,173 of 3,867
2 separate USB-C ports for data / charging may be a deal breaker for me...
I know what you mean, I had the Topping NX4 with separate Type C ports, one for charging and one for data. I plugged it in to charge in a sleepy state. The next morning it turns out I had put current into the data connection! Damaged!

Hopefully, it will turn out to have what we want, fingers crossed.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #3,174 of 3,867
TK-2 is a portable DAC/AMP, it has a 5000mha battery so you can use it when you are out or on the way to work. and two USB-Cs could be convenient when you are charging and listening. You have to charge it all the time, This battery can provide a long period of use.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,178 of 3,867
TK-2 is a portable DAC/AMP, it has a 5000mha battery so you can use it when you are out or on the way to work. and two USB-Cs could be convenient when you are charging and listening. You have to charge it all the time, This battery can provide a long period of use.
Alright, thank you for the explanation, Wendy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back