TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #2,746 of 3,867
Ok guys a quick update, so I tried claiming warranty for my TRI Starsea, cause of the air tight pressure & driver flex issue present in my unit. I was feeling uncomfortable listening to it for longer periods of time & only using few specific foam tips fixed these issues for me. And I didn't like the fact that I am to stick to only using foam tips for a earphone which cost me $130.

Anyway I bought mine from an official distributor of TRI in Bangladesh called Headphone State, they asked me to provide my issues in writing which I did. And the following day I was given this response, which apparently came from TRI, pics attached. They are claiming that no other customers gave this feedback while I found 2 people in this thread who reported the same issue and got a replacement. Additionally there is one more user who bought the Starsea with me at the same time & he has the same issues as well! And saying that I don't like the sound of the headphones is like a slap in the face, if I didn't like the sound I would sell it & get something else. Why would I claim warranty for it? Cause even if I got a replacement unit it will literally sound the same.

@WendyLi I waited almost 5 weeks for my Starsea to arrive with much excitement. But after reading this response I sold my Starsea immediately. I am small time audio gear reviewer from Bangladesh & I buy all my stuff with hard earned money, no discounts, no hand outs. I was even very excited to buy your upcoming TRI i3 pro & review it on my page. But after this negative experience with your brand I won't be buying anything from TRI. Its totally ok if you guys don't cover driver flex issues in your warranty policy but saying I am trying to change it cause I don't like the sound, is very disrespectful.

Attachments

• 215374734_1171328326685139_2702787066407843468_n.jpg
    215374734_1171328326685139_2702787066407843468_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,747 of 3,867
Forget it. Unless you are buying from aliexpress Kbear store, they will not help you. This is my experience when i need to rma my tri i3 dur to channel imbalance. I have just chuck them aside and move on. The aftersales support is horrible

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,749 of 3,867
Ok guys a quick update, so I tried claiming warranty for my TRI Starsea, cause of the air tight pressure & driver flex issue present in my unit. I was feeling uncomfortable listening to it for longer periods of time & only using few specific foam tips fixed these issues for me. And I didn't like the fact that I am to stick to only using foam tips for a earphone which cost me $130.

Anyway I bought mine from an official distributor of TRI in Bangladesh called Headphone State, they asked me to provide my issues in writing which I did. And the following day I was given this response, which apparently came from TRI, pics attached. They are claiming that no other customers gave this feedback while I found 2 people in this thread who reported the same issue and got a replacement. Additionally there is one more user who bought the Starsea with me at the same time & he has the same issues as well! And saying that I don't like the sound of the headphones is like a slap in the face, if I didn't like the sound I would sell it & get something else. Why would I claim warranty for it? Cause even if I got a replacement unit it will literally sound the same.

@WendyLi I waited almost 5 weeks for my Starsea to arrive with much excitement. But after reading this response I sold my Starsea immediately. I am small time audio gear reviewer from Bangladesh & I buy all my stuff with hard earned money, no discounts, no hand outs. I was even very excited to buy your upcoming TRI i3 pro & review it on my page. But after this negative experience with your brand I won't be buying anything from TRI. Its totally ok if you guys don't cover driver flex issues in your warranty policy but saying I am trying to change it cause I don't like the sound, is very disrespectful.
It is quite irritating when these things happen to you after you have paid for something you want and waited to listen to.

However, my recollection is that @baskingshark refers to driver flex as an anatomical issue, not a build or quality control issue. As I understand it, it is whether the earphones are not physically compatible with your ears.

I will not attempt to explain it further as I have little knowledge of the subject, hence tagging @baskingshark who may be able to explain it further.

I hope it is resolved somehow for you.

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,750 of 3,867
It is quite irritating when these things happen to you after you have paid for something you want and waited to listen to.

However, my recollection is that @baskingshark refers to driver flex as an anatomical issue, not a build or quality control issue. As I understand it, it is whether the earphones are not physically compatible with your ears.

I will not attempt to explain it further as I have little knowledge of the subject, hence tagging @baskingshark who may be able to explain it further.

Yes, driver flex is usually more due to your personal ears. Some get it some do not. I rarely get driver flex unless its an iem that is known for driver flex (in those cases the venting of the iem is probably not optimal).

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,751 of 3,867
Yes, driver flex is usually more due to your personal ears. Some get it some do not. I rarely get driver flex unless its an iem that is known for driver flex (in those cases the venting of the iem is probably not optimal).
I think people that can't tolerate driver flex should go for full BAs pairs or another hybrid that doesn't have a DD in it. It's always a risk with DDs.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,752 of 3,867
I think people that can't tolerate driver flex should go for full BAs pairs or another hybrid that doesn't have a DD in it. It's always a risk with DDs.
Full BA´s will have pressure-build up. Personally that is worse than driver flex for me, since its actually uncomfortable while driver flex is just annoying.

Otherwise, getting the (semi) open iems like Fiio FD5, Dunu Zen, Sony EX800ST/1000 wont give you driver flex.

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #2,754 of 3,867
Full BA´s will have pressure-build up. Personally that is worse than driver flex for me, since its actually uncomfortable while driver flex is just annoying.

Otherwise, getting the (semi) open iems like Fiio FD5, Dunu Zen, Sony EX800ST/1000 wont give you driver flex.
Many full BAs are vented, e.g. recent KZs. Indeed, vented vs. non-vented makes quite a bit of difference for the comfort, especially when moving.

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,755 of 3,867

I totally agree with you. Pressure is way worse than driver flex. It's uncomfortable and can distort sound. Fortunately, some foam tips can help relieve this issue. Silicone tips with a wider bore is also useful.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,756 of 3,867

@Nealz
Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. Sometimes it is an inherent structural design flaw in the IEM where majority of users complain of driver flex (eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy). I haven't seen the majority of TRI Starsea users complaining of driver flex though, myself I also don't have driver flex on it. So it is a YMMV situation.

Driver flex is hence more common in unvented sets, and happens with DD sets due to the diaphragm crumpling when there is no where for the pressure to go during insertion.

I found a few ways to mitigate driver flex:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell. However, foam tips tend to tame treble, so not the best option if you are a treblehead.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling upwards on the top of the ear before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. I manage to fix driver flex 90% of the time using this technique.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in. U can also angle the eartip during insertion instead of forcing it perpendicular to the ear canal (which squeezes the eartip opening shut).

As for getting warranty/returns for the driver flex issue, that's a grey area. I've seen some manufacturers/shops not accept returns for this claim. It is kinda hard to prove, as the shops will invariably ask for some video or photo of the defect, and how is one gonna prove driver flex via these methods? I've encountered driver flex in quite a few sets so far in my IEM journey, though I've never tried to return or seek warranty for this reason.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #2,757 of 3,867
@Nealz
Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. Sometimes it is an inherent structural design flaw in the IEM where majority of users complain of driver flex (eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy). I haven't seen the majority of TRI Starsea users complaining of driver flex though, myself I also don't have driver flex on it. So it is a YMMV situation.

Driver flex is hence more common in unvented sets, and happens with DD sets due to the diaphragm crumpling when there is no where for the pressure to go during insertion.

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell. However, foam tips tend to tame treble, so not the best option if you are a treblehead.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling upwards on the top of the ear before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. I manage to fix driver flex 90% of the time using this technique.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in. U can also angle the eartip during insertion instead of forcing it perpendicular to the ear canal (which squeezes the eartip opening shut).

As for getting warranty/returns for the driver flex issue, that's a grey area. I've seen some manufacturers/shops not accept returns for this claim. It is kinda hard to prove, as the shops will invariably ask for some video or photo of the defect, and how is one gonna prove driver flex via these methods? I've encountered driver flex in quite a few sets so far in my IEM journey, though I've never tried to return or seek warranty for this reason.
I've had driver flex problems with the Starsea I own and pretty much nothing has eliminated it for me yet. The best solution I've found for minimizing it is to use a matte textured silicone eartips with as thin of a dome as you can get. This does reduce bass response, though, so it may be a bit of putting the cart before the horse in that regard. Some of the foam tips have worked better than others. Any of the coated foam tips where the outside feels slick will have the same problem, but the extremely soft, matte finish foams that you get with the Starsea do seem to work fairly well. I have had moderate success with the Sony Triple Comfort tips, but YMMV, especially for sets with a lot of sound tubes or sound tubes which are close to the edge of the nozzle, since the bore of the Triple Comforts is quite narrow and can occlude the sound tubes.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,758 of 3,867
I've actually let quite a few of my friends test out my starsea unit and every single one of them reported the same clicking noises and air tight pressure feeling building up inside their ears. This is clearly not some random issue I'm facing personally.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,759 of 3,867

Yes the pressure build up is much more annoying than the driver flex. It made my starsea unusable for longer listening periods. I've got a Fiio FH3 and Spring 2 and BQEYZ Summer as well right now, all tri-birds and none of them has any driver flex or ba pressure build up issue apart from the starsea.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,760 of 3,867
@Nealz

Hey man thanks again for your explanation but I think you need to read my original comment one more time. My issue isn't just driver flex it's also the ba pressure build up which made my starsea very uncomfortable to use for longer listening sessions. I've got various other tri-birds as well like fiio FH3, bqeyz spring 1, spring 2, summer etc and none of those display any driver flex and pressure build up issues.

Using the bqeyz stock foam tips did remedy my issue with of both driver flex and pressure build up. But I don't like using foam tips compared to silicone ones which are much more comfortable to use for me personally. So after spending $130 why should I be limited to using only some specific pairs of foam tips to get a comfortable listening experience? Obviously there's some flaw in the Starsea's design as other manufacturers have gotten it right.

Anyway even if Tri did not cover driver flex, ba pressure build up etc in their warranty policy that would have been fine. But claiming that no other user has reported these issues and that I might be claiming warranty cause I don't like the sound is pretty offensive. You have to look at it from a customer's point of view not just a technical one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back