TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,553 of 3,867
No comment!

All comments reserved!
The bass on the Starlight is higher than the Harmon 2019 curve, which seems to be Crinacle's standard for grading, so it probably isn't to his taste.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #2,554 of 3,867
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,555 of 3,867
No offense to Crinacle but not everyone hears like him and there will some others who will definitely like these IEMs more. Unless you hear exactly like him or have similar listening habits then yeah you have right to feel disappointed. But I'd say it's better to wait for the larger community to share their feedback before making a decision.
He seems to have a significantly better tolerance for treble and a preference for reference tuning over house tuning. I like bass, so the bass being higher than the Harmon 2019 curve is no detriment to me. I am just torn over whether or not the Starlight is something I'm willing to invest that much into, given that there have been numberous people saying that it was bright. I may set my sights on the **** ST7, which is essentially the same, but tuned differently, since it has slightly more recessed treble and even more bass than the Starlight from all of the comparison graphs I've been able to find. I will give Shuoer, ****, and TRI all the credit for choosing that shell design, as it is one of, if not the most compact design I've come across for tribrids. Shuoer just kept stepping it up by adding more BA drivers for their Conductor. I think the EJ09 is slightly larger.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,556 of 3,867
He seems to have a significantly better tolerance for treble and a preference for reference tuning over house tuning. I like bass, so the bass being higher than the Harmon 2019 curve is no detriment to me. I am just torn over whether or not the Starlight is something I'm willing to invest that much into, given that there have been numberous people saying that it was bright. I may set my sights on the **** ST7, which is essentially the same, but tuned differently, since it has slightly more recessed treble and even more bass than the Starlight from all of the comparison graphs I've been able to find. I will give Shuoer, ****, and TRI all the credit for choosing that shell design, as it is one of, if not the most compact design I've come across for tribrids. Shuoer just kept stepping it up by adding more BA drivers for their Conductor. I think the EJ09 is slightly larger.
It is really difficult to make the decision which of the brands to go for.

I chose to stick to a few brands and buy within their range of products. In the case of TRI Starlights there were no reviews (in August 2020) and I had to put faith in my previous experience of the brand.

It was a calculated risk, and I did that for two reasons, the first being price relative to similar products, the second reason being their (TRI) tuning.

I have no regrets....yes, arguably I have not bought the competitors to compare, but where does one stop? For me at the point I made my decision and enjoy my music, after that I simply have to go for another sound signature otherwise I have several of the same with marginal differences.

Check out the reviews which most align with your taste.

Does the reviewer, review a set you have previously heard?

If so, how much of what the reviewer says do you agree with?

Consider your price range,

Consider the reputation of the manufacturer and their other products, do they match your expectations or come close for the price?

If you cannot decide, do not buy, just wait, the right time will eventually come round.

Good luck with the decision.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #2,557 of 3,867
It is really difficult to make the decision which of the brands to go for.

I chose to stick to a few brands and buy within their range of products. In the case of TRI Starlights there were no reviews (in August 2020) and I had to put faith in my previous experience of the brand.

It was a calculated risk, and I did that for two reasons, the first being price relative to similar products, the second reason being their (TRI) tuning.

I have no regrets....yes, arguably I have not bought the competitors to compare, but where does one stop? For me at the point I made my decision and enjoy my music, after that I simply have to go for another sound signature otherwise I have several of the same with marginal differences.

Check out the reviews which most align with your taste.

Does the reviewer, review a set you have previously heard?

If so, how much of what the reviewer says do you agree with?

Consider your price range,

Consider the reputation of the manufacturer and their other products, do they match your expectations or come close for the price?

If you cannot decide, do not buy, just wait, the right time will eventually come round.

Good luck with the decision.
My challenge is that brain burn-in just sounds like hearing loss to me, and I value my hearing way too much for that, so I tend to go for earphones with very conservative treble gain. I'm very treble sensitive, and as inconvenient as that may be for my ability to enjoy many of the IEMs on the market, it's nice to be able to still hear the 3rd and 4th harmonics of various instruments despite them being in the 14-16Khz range.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,558 of 3,867
My challenge is that brain burn-in just sounds like hearing loss to me, and I value my hearing way too much for that, so I tend to go for earphones with very conservative treble gain. I'm very treble sensitive, and as inconvenient as that may be for my ability to enjoy many of the IEMs on the market, it's nice to be able to still hear the 3rd and 4th harmonics of various instruments despite them being in the 14-16Khz range.

That is a delicate problem, if I understand you correctly, you saying, I cannot tolerate peaky treble but I do not want to miss out on peaky treble, to paraphrase....ouch...it could be torture!😱

Seriously, all I can say to you is, Starshines, if they fall within the earphones you are considering!

Perhaps @dharmasteve will chime in to to give you his opinion on them. My view is that the Starshines are not peaky in the treble region, yet give enough information so that you do not feel they lack treble extension, but some might say I am more treble tolerant than most.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,559 of 3,867
That is a delicate problem, if I understand you correctly, you saying, I cannot tolerate peaky treble but I do not want to miss out on peaky treble, to paraphrase....ouch...it could be torture!😱

Seriously, all I can say to you is, Starshines, if they fall within the earphones you are considering!

Perhaps @dharmasteve will chime in to to give you his opinion on them. My view is that the Starshines are not peaky in the treble region, yet give enough information so that you do not feel they lack treble extension, but some might say I am more treble tolerant than most.
More or less, my ideal is an IEM that accurately follows the Harmon 2019 curve without significant treble peaks. This is very difficult to achieve, particularly as BA and EST drivers tend to have natural harmonics that result in peaks and troughs in the higher frequencies, and one of the more effective ways to manage these are to basically muffle them by cramming foam or fabric filters into the sound tube, thus reducing their overall sensitivity and potentially impacting the resolving power of the drivers. It's definitely a conundrum.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,560 of 3,867
No offense to Crinacle but not everyone hears like him and there will some others who will definitely like these IEMs more. Unless you hear exactly like him or have similar listening habits then yeah you have right to feel disappointed. But I'd say it's better to wait for the larger community to share their feedback before making a decision.
Agree, he has habit to degrade something that hits off from his favorite curve, “even for technicalities” which supposed to be tonality scope. B score for tech with Sonion EST is kinda questionable subjective grading, technically resolving capability should be enough to automatically grade it to A grade unless god mind blowing full power dominating bass overshadowed those, which does not seem like the case for the pairs.

Tonality wise it’s very subjective so we can understand the fluctuations but tech B? 🤔

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,561 of 3,867
More or less, my ideal is an IEM that accurately follows the Harmon 2019 curve without significant treble peaks. This is very difficult to achieve, particularly as BA and EST drivers tend to have natural harmonics that result in peaks and troughs in the higher frequencies, and one of the more effective ways to manage these are to basically muffle them by cramming foam or fabric filters into the sound tube, thus reducing their overall sensitivity and potentially impacting the resolving power of the drivers. It's definitely a conundrum.
See Audio Yume is basically Harman without treble peak at 6khz which Blessing2 and Dusk has little peak around. Technically it is not as great as blessing sisters, tonality wise it is good sounding. Pretty same config with Starsea, 1 full range Knowles BA, 1 treble knowles BA + 1 Dynamic.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,562 of 3,867
See Audio Yume is basically Harman without treble peak at 6khz which Blessing2 and Dusk has little peak around. Technically it is not as great as blessing sisters, tonality wise it is good sounding. Pretty same config with Starsea, 1 full range Knowles BA, 1 treble knowles BA + 1 Dynamic.
I've definitely been keeping an eye on it, since the sound signature looks pretty pleasant.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,563 of 3,867
Agree, he has habit to degrade something that hits off from his favorite curve, “even for technicalities” which supposed to be tonality scope. B score for tech with Sonion EST is kinda questionable subjective grading, technically resolving capability should be enough to automatically grade it to A grade unless god mind blowing full power dominating bass overshadowed those, which does not seem like the case for the pairs.

Tonality wise it’s very subjective so we can understand the fluctuations but tech B?
yeah, that's what I thought..let's wait for his review..

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,564 of 3,867

Tonality wise it’s very subjective so we can understand the fluctuations but tech B? 🤔

For one thing, the addition of the Sonion EST into an IEM does not "automatically grade it to A grade". I've gone into tirades on the flaws of the Sonion EST drivers quite a bit (one of which being that it should be renamed "electrets" instead of misrepresenting it as actual electrostatics, the rest I won't go into), and in general I find that they are extremely finicky drivers to implement and not many manufacturers have been successful.

Much like the misconception that more drivers = better sound, the Sonion EST is not a magic "good sound" button. In many cases, due to poor implementation and engineering, the opposite is more commonly observed. Regardless, even if the Sonion EST drivers are inherently superior tweeters (again, they're not), my rankings are stringent and I can't just be handing out A and S grades to every IEM I come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back