Tri-brid IEMs and non-BA/non-DD technology
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #31 of 78
And western idea of good is to do the same but charge $3k for it so true audiophiles could convince themselves that it sounds amazing (for the price).

Yep, $3000 for what is pretty much touched up $299 headphone. It insane the hype they get when my ER3SE or W40 can do the same bass with a low shelf at 120Hz. The detail/speed argument is moot when Isine 10/ER3XR are already very fast & detailed to dynamic drivers.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #32 of 78
I currently have the Mangird Tea on order, but am also very interested in many other similarly priced IEMs, like the Penon Orb, the ISN H40, the Kinera Freya, the Tanchjim Oxygen, and the AudioSense T800. I think I just need to put everything on hold for now, save up, and wait to read reviews and impressions on the many new tribrids out there. Then find one that suits me best, and buy it, instead of all the other Mid-Fi IEMs. The one that I have a hard time dismissing is the T800, but with that one, I need to also look into getting and trying out different Knowles filters.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #33 of 78
Has anyone listened to the Tri Starlight yet?

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #34 of 78
I don’t see any thread for the LZ A6, and only old posts on the LZ A5 thread. Does anyone have a good FR graph of the LZ A6?

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #35 of 78
Jul 20, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 78
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #37 of 78
Tri Starlight
1331BEC2-544D-4FBD-84F1-ED1C31C97E4B.jpeg

B9B2D277-ED02-427F-8818-42E9667E7BB7.jpeg
1BF00E06-24AE-4642-A5F4-30DFA0857D6E.jpeg
65822640-060C-4E6C-9F93-9C7ACA4E303C.jpeg
E5B29CA3-4C91-406A-A595-E5BD64B5AE06.jpeg
03E906E6-68D3-496E-BE86-C6AACF5E791A.jpeg
F470CCF5-0F1F-4168-A607-5EC4A2DE38B5.jpeg
0FF2D58D-52D8-49FC-B317-EFBBD9B6F4F4.jpeg

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #38 of 78
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #39 of 78
I think a “simple” piezoelectric is often overlooked in the electret/estat rush.

It is used very good on the Hylas (and Nobel Khan, supposedly :D) and probably some lower-cost units. Noble switched to estat for its newer “TOTL”, so it’s definitely a ‘trend up’ to claim estats.

I’m a bit surprised there are not more *talked about* IEMs with the DD+BA+piezoelectric configuration. Or are some Hyla models just special in the way it handles the treble..? (There is no shortage of Amazon/eBay matches, including A6.)

Also, the BA (bass) + DD (mid) reversal and 2DD (bass, or otherwise) seems under-explored even though there are good reviews on some $$$ IEMs with this config.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #40 of 78
I am very curious about the Tri Starlight, but I'm hesitant to drop that kind of money for electronics on AliExpress in case something breaks and then I'll be without the money and a working IEM. I already got burned buying a cable on Ali, I don't need that sort of stress at three times the price.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #41 of 78
I am very curious about the Tri Starlight, but I'm hesitant to drop that kind of money for electronics on AliExpress in case something breaks and then I'll be without the money and a working IEM. I already got burned buying a cable on Ali, I don't need that sort of stress at three times the price.
I agree.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 78
Heh...I've managed to make it this far without buying from AE. I think you can't even use Paypal there? No thanks. I'm sure this means I'll miss out on deals, but I am just not a big risk-taker when it comes to audio gear these days like I was, say, 10 years ago.

This Chi-Fi explosion while I was away from the hobby the past 5+ years astounds me. Being back a few months now, I still have no grasp of what companies/brands are trustworthy from a build quality/longevity standpoint. Shoddy build/craftsmanship is the ultimate sin for me. It implies the cutting of corners that I refuse to reward with my consumer $$ no matter how allegedly great "cost/performance" is.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #44 of 78
Heh...I've managed to make it this far without buying from AE. I think you can't even use Paypal there? No thanks. I'm sure this means I'll miss out on deals, but I am just not a big risk-taker when it comes to audio gear these days like I was, say, 10 years ago.

This Chi-Fi explosion while I was away from the hobby the past 5+ years astounds me. Being back a few months now, I still have no grasp of what companies/brands are trustworthy from a build quality/longevity standpoint. Shoddy build/craftsmanship is the ultimate sin for me. It implies the cutting of corners that I refuse to reward with my consumer $$ no matter how allegedly great "cost/performance" is.
1. PayPal work on AliExpress. I generally avoid AE (and many products on Amazon) because I like product differentiation.

2. It’s no more of a “sin” than the markup charged for IEMs by many ‘premium’ brands, especially when using commodity comportments. Let’s not even get started on cables.. but hey, if it makes you happier to pay into such a premium model, go for it.

Me? I’ve had the most success buying slightly used, and well-differentiated, IEMs from others at a sharp discount.

The biggest issue with ‘Chi-Fi’ IEMs, IMOHO entirely revolves entirely around product differentiation, which is a view we both share. Coupled with the revolving hype (as new is shiny and shiny is cool) and if this isn’t your game - don’t play :). Every once in awhile there is a proven standout that gains some notoriety.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #45 of 78
1. PayPal work on AliExpress. I generally avoid AE (and many products on Amazon) because I like product differentiation.

2. It’s no more of a “sin” than the markup charged for IEMs by many ‘premium’ brands, especially when using commodity comportments. Let’s not even get started on cables.. but hey, if it makes you happier to pay into such a premium model, go for it.

Me? I’ve had the most success buying slightly used, and well-differentiated, IEMs from others at a sharp discount.
Who said anything about "premium" brands? If anything, I long ago departed from the so-called summit-fi hamster wheel; I am strictly so-called mid-fi, and have been for some time. I'm cool with being a second class citizen in this hobby where snobbery abounds. I'm taking about brand trust; quality build doesn't have to only be at the "high-end", and we've all seen shoddy design/build at all levels of pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back